Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 09:16 AM

3 posts, read 9,380 times

Advertisements

Hello Milton! My fiancee and I are looking at properties in Milton -- and we just fell in love with the town. Here's the catch -- he works in Braintree, and I work in Cambridge (right next to Alewife). One of us isn't going to be too thrilled with the commute ;-)

So what are my options?
95 N to 2 east? How long is that at 7 am vs 8 am. How about the reverse at 4 or 5? Can I do it in 45 minutes?
Hyde Park to South Station, SS to Alewife -- Looks like it's just under an hour. Does this match your experience?
93 N - How early do I really have to leave to make this work?

Thanks everyone
-A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 11:44 AM

56 posts, read 73,044 times
I used to commute from East Milton to Alewife (and later from Lower Mills to Kendall) and it can be a long commute. Can you walk to your office from the Alewife station? If so, it might be easiest to take the T. North Quincy is the easiest station to use if you're in East Milton. From the other side of town, you could take the trolley from one of the Milton stops to Ashmont, then go in from there. If you're west of the parkway, then the commuter rail might be your best option but it runs much less frequently than the Red Line so it's less convenient. I think any of these options would take you about an hour (maybe more if you need to use the trolley, it tends to break down pretty frequently in the winter).

I have only driven between Cambridge and Milton during non-rush hour times but it can range anywhere from 25 min to over an hour, depending on traffic. I don't think there would be much difference between 7am and 8am (you would really need to go in at 6 or earlier or after 9 to avoid the traffic).

Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 PM

Thanks so much for the reply! We're looking at places in east Milton/ West Quincy. But also interested at a few located closer to the Hyde Park station.

I can definitely walk to my office from Alewife, but my feeling on the redline is that it will take ages to get from end to end :S

Old 05-19-2012, 08:50 PM

Out of curiosity.... Is there any way to commute up through Boston? Not up 93?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts