Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 AM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised that this is not yet a topic of discussion here.

Quote:
The Boston Herald reported late last month that Harvard Law School, where Ms. Warren currently teaches, once cited her as American Indian in the 1990s, when it was under attack for not having a diverse faculty.
Scott Brown Calls on Elizabeth Warren to Release Law School Records - NYTimes.com

Law professor: Warren

Cherokee Heritage Debate Snares Mass. Senate Hopeful Elizabeth Warren - The Daily Beast

» Cruel irony in Elizabeth Warren’s Cherokee saga - Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 10:33 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
I am not going to put out which side I am on, but Elizabeth Warren, at least in my eyes, is trying to paint herself as a member of the 99%. When she is getting zero interest loans from Harvard, making well over $200,000/year to teach a class there and lives in a multimillion dollar home in Cambridge, it's tough to look at her as one of the people.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:42 AM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I am not going to put out which side I am on, but Elizabeth Warren, at least in my eyes, is trying to paint herself as a member of the 99%. When she is getting zero interest loans from Harvard, making well over $200,000/year to teach a class there and lives in a multimillion dollar home in Cambridge, it's tough to look at her as one of the people.
I agree with your observations of her. She is not representative of the 99% membership and shouldn't be trying to seem like one of them.

And I've worked on the Harvard and MIT campuses for many years, and their social theories are just not anything like reality nor applicable to the real world.

As to my political views, well I feel that we need to have more moderate politicians in offices, ones who are willing to work with those on the opposing party. I think that anytime we have extremists, those who are too conservative or too liberal in their views, our country runs into trouble and/or political gridlock.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:21 AM

387 posts, read 916,204 times
This is not that uncommon in universities. A friend of mine was accepted to MIT and checked off the box for "white." Later, she got a scholarship from a Native American reservation because she was 1/32nd Cherokee. The school contacted HER and asked if they could switch her status to Native American. We live in a strange culture where "one drop" can make you perceived as part of a non-white group.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:52 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
True enough, but her background is far more modest. She worked hard, came across some luck, and made it to where she is now. Because of this, she has a pretty good understanding of the issues faced by the 99%. Not to say that Scott Brown can't also demonstrate a similar biography. They both came from working class families. But one is advocating policies to help the working class, one, not so much.

Anyway, on the topic, there is an accusation that she lied in the title, then an implication that it was actually Harvard that lied. But where is there evidence that either lied?

Old 05-10-2012, 03:42 PM

293 posts, read 909,623 times
White woman speak with forked tongue!

Old 05-10-2012, 05:16 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,085 times
A Mass politician that lies....Say it isn't so

Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,653 times
:yawn:

Old 05-11-2012, 06:35 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Consider the following

1) Her name not being Elizabeth Warren. If you claim to be native american wouldn't the name suggest that? Naturally names change with marriage but to make a claim for a gain like this is pretty weak.

2) So it's a great, great, great grandparent. How much further back should someone go? It's not like she actually met him. In a sense we don't have tests to determine percentages but how meaningful is it to claim this at all? Why even bring it up? If we were to drag things out going back that far to get work it would be pretty bad.

3) Shouldn't she have known this was going to come up prior to running for office?

4) She didn't attend any types of native events at Harvard even though they happen every day. She said she put it down on applications to meet people..so which is it?

I think she's starting to impersonate Martha Coakley's campaign.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:53 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,872 times
Not that I'm a huge Scott Brown fan, but if Elizabeth Warren wins they should stop allowing MA citizens to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts