Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 PM

8 posts, read 20,529 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I need your help! I am moving to Boston for 3 months to complete my clinical experience in order to graduate with my master's degree. I am from PA and therefor no little about the area...I'm trying to decide between two sites--one in Braintree and one in Natick.
It doesn't seem like there will be many options in terms of subletting in those towns, so I am trying to figure out which town will be closest to housing options that are still within a reasonable commute time. It would also be nice to be somewhere with other young professionals, though just finding a decent place to sublet falls first on my list.
From what I've researched, there are a ton of housing options around colleges/universities, but they leave me with ATLEAST an hour of commute time with public transit. By car, 20-30 minutes, but that's not accounting for traffic which I hear is pretty bad! I would like to keep the commute to under one hour. These areas are more north than Braintree and more west of Natick.
Any ideas? What other options are out there? Which is a safer bet in terms of finding housing for a young professional--Braintree or Natick???

Thanks! : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 11:10 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Some more info would help a lot so that people here can get a better picture of the best areas for you.

First question, just to be clear on this, is whether Braintree and Natick are the two possible workplace locations. Workplace location often makes a huge difference in where you can live and have a manageable commute.

What's your housing budget?

Even though it sounds as if you'll have a car, how important is it to be near public transit (for example for nights out when you'd prefer to relax and not have to deal with traffic)?

Assuming I'm interpreting correctly that Braintree and Natick are the workplace locations you're choosing from, to start things off I'd suggest that you look for places to live in downtown Waltham if you work in Natick, or in Quincy if you work in Braintree. Waltham and Quincy are both larger towns/small cities, a mix of urban and suburban, with local shopping downtown. Waltham also has a young professionals crowd and a bunch of restaurants in the downtown area. Both areas also have housing costs that are fairly moderate by the standards of the Boston area. Quincy is next door to Braintree, and Waltham, while not quite as close to Natick as Quincy to Braintree, is still not far (though if you commuted during usual rush hours you might need to experiment with your route between Waltham and Natick to avoid one likely bottleneck).

These are the closest areas to either Natick or Braintree that have relatively reasonable rents, somewhat substantial downtowns with some hint of city feel, and, at least in the case of Waltham, some young professionals in the population.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:15 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,672,702 times
I would go with Braintree, while still technically a suburb it is more connected to the city as well as Quincy which is right next door.

Natick is further into the suburbs and the whole area around there is overwhelmingly an established family environment rather than one for younger singles.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 AM

Thank you so much for your detailed response. Yes, those will be the areas in which I'll be working. Like I said, I am willing to do up to an hour commute. I do have a car. If i live in the city, I would probably be traveling the opposite direction of most traffic. It sounds like both areas have options nearby where you will have the suburban mixed with city feel. I would prefer more of a city feel, but I wasn't sure how picky I could be. Thanks again. Helpful.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 AM

Also, my housing budget is a maximum of $1300 a month, though the cheaper the better!

Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 AM

I have noticed there are alot of sublet options in towns like Allston, Chestnut Hill, Brookline, JP, etc...any opinions regarding the feasibility of commuting from here to Braintree or Natick?

Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_ling2012 View Post
I have noticed there are alot of sublet options in towns like Allston, Chestnut Hill, Brookline, JP, etc...any opinions regarding the feasibility of commuting from here to Braintree or Natick?
Those places would be a decent commute to Natick, and if you are typical medical hours you will be dealing with a reverse commute.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:26 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_ling2012 View Post
To give you a heads up on Allston, the most likely reason that you see a lot of sublets there is that Allston is undergrad student ghetto territory. If you'd enjoy, or at least wouldn't mind, being surrounded by a noisy undergraduate party scene, then Allston would be fine. If you've moved on to preferring more of a young professional kind of life--still want some city stuff around, but no longer into serious partying as a constant in life--you'll do well to steer clear of Allston. It's possible that the sublets in the other areas you mentioned could also be apartments occupied by students who are looking for people to take over their leases for the summer, but it's a good chance that those would be grad students. In any case, other than Allston the places you've listed are not known as big undergrad areas.

All those areas would be more convenient to Natick than Braintree. If you want an area more right in the city, even if not right downtown, which could provide a reverse commute to Braintree, you might take a look at South Boston. Not sure how the rents are there. They could be getting up there because Southie has been gentrifying in recent years, but Southie is the first area that comes to mind when I think of a location that is just far enough outside the city's core so that rents might be a bit lower than they are right downtown, and is still more in the city than Quincy or Waltham, which has amenities of interest to young professionals, and is positioned well for a reverse commute to Braintree.

Speaking of reverse commutes, if you'll be working odd hours, something to keep in mind is that living in any of those areas right in the city or at its fringe (Brookline, JP, Southie, Allston, Chestnut Hill, etc.) would put you in the middle of the non-reverse rush hour traffic if you were working second shift and commuting out to either of those suburban workplaces in the late afternoon.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 PM

Very informative responses, thank you! I'm still undecided. I personally like my work-site in Braintree better than the work-site in Natick, but this information will definitely help my decision. I can deal with the undergraduate community, I'm a 26 year old female, but I wouldn't prefer it. I would prefer that over a suburban type neighborhood with nothing in walking distance.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,147 times
Allston is grad students -- singles and young couples much more than undergrads. There are great neighborhoods in Allston. Even more so in Brighton. Also consider Jamaica Plain. All of these are feasible conjures to Natick. Not so much to Braintree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts