Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:33 AM

10 posts, read 41,497 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of moving to Kingston, and are a little hesitant due to the lack of diversity. Both my husband and I grew up in not-so-diverse suburban towns. I'm bi-racial and he's Caucasian. We are concerned about fitting in, and would like our (someday) kids to have a good life without feeling out of place. Does anyone have any insight on this?

An aside, we're also looking to hear more about the community and those that border Kingston ... any cafes, arts, farmers markets, creative-type of things that would be a draw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 07:27 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,680 times
Kingston is pretty much a homogenized (white) town. You probably won't experience any sort of overt, racism/discrimination. If you decide to move to Kingston---worse case scenario is you will just expereince periodic instances of bigotry...most of which will be very covert, and subtle.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:16 AM

Thanks. Would you describe the area as left-leaning?

Old 09-25-2007, 09:01 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,680 times
There's a good mix both left and right...

Old 09-26-2007, 04:27 PM

104 posts, read 490,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfandhalf View Post
We're thinking of moving to Kingston, and are a little hesitant due to the lack of diversity. Both my husband and I grew up in not-so-diverse suburban towns. I'm bi-racial and he's Caucasian. We are concerned about fitting in, and would like our (someday) kids to have a good life without feeling out of place. Does anyone have any insight on this?

An aside, we're also looking to hear more about the community and those that border Kingston ... any cafes, arts, farmers markets, creative-type of things that would be a draw?
Kingston is fine but not alot of "culture" here - Plymouth is a better fit for what you describe. Schools also pretty fair at best. How about Falmouth on the Cape? Just 30 min more and I think very cultural-

Old 11-16-2007, 03:12 AM

116 posts, read 316,744 times
Default falmouth is not a good choice!

I would take Kingston anyday over Falmouth! Living year round on Cape Cod is not a good idea. If you want a small town and can afford it, I'd choose Norwell, Hingham, Hanover, Duxbury, Scituate or Cohasset. I would NEVER live on the Cape year round unless I was over the age of 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlady58 View Post
Kingston is fine but not alot of "culture" here - Plymouth is a better fit for what you describe. Schools also pretty fair at best. How about Falmouth on the Cape? Just 30 min more and I think very cultural-

Old 11-16-2007, 07:17 AM

That's too bad, kaioak36. It's actually really nice. I have a lot of family there and the Cape is sometimes much nicer in the off-season.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,834 times
I, too am looking to move toward the Cape. My in-laws live in Falmouth. We are a mixed race family. We would like to live in a community that is more diverse. The big BUT, is that we are not in a very high income bracket but still want, The Cape or at least 30min drive to it, good schools, diversity and inexpensive home costs! Any thoughts?

Old 11-16-2009, 06:46 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Chapman View Post
I, too am looking to move toward the Cape. My in-laws live in Falmouth. We are a mixed race family. We would like to live in a community that is more diverse. The big BUT, is that we are not in a very high income bracket but still want, The Cape or at least 30min drive to it, good schools, diversity and inexpensive home costs! Any thoughts?

Bourne. Buzzards Bay is fairly diverse and relatively inexpensive. Schools are decent. There are some rough areas. There is an RE on here who will probably chime in. She mentioned BB is being revitalized. Not sure what is being done but worth a looksy.

Wareham, not sure about schools but definitely affordable.

Plymouth. I am not sure about quality of schools though. I've heard they're okay with overcrowding being an issue.

Falmouth, is an interesting community. There are expensive and inexpensive areas. The schools would be a concern for me especially high school.

Good luck.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:41 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
The South Shore is very white and irish and catholic. There's also a very nice segment of artistic people, photographers, painters, etc, who are inspired by the natural, rural beauty of the area. I think that the OP will be fine there, esp. if they are in any way outdoorsy. In general people tend to be down to earth and no-nonsense and appreciate that in others more than race or ethnic background.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts