Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 12,276 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm researching the Boston area and Randolph seems to be an affordable area. What is Randolph like? Is it a safe area? Is there shopping, restaurants? How are the middle and high schools in the area? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
It's affordable because it's not a real safe area anymore. Yes, there are restaurants and shopping, but the schools aren't very good, they actually just cut off bus service for the school children because the town could no longer afford it.

A TOWN IN TROUBLE? Some Randolph residents see the shooting of a teen as one more problem in a struggling community

There's a couple of other murders there since this article was written.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-24-2007 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: article

Old 09-25-2007, 06:56 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Randolph is pretty scary. And the bus issue is the tip of the iceberg. The school spends WAY more $$$/student than higher performing schools in the area, yet they are substandard. Makes ya wonder where the money is going...

Old 09-25-2007, 07:07 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Randolph is pretty scary. And the bus issue is the tip of the iceberg. The school spends WAY more $$$/student than higher performing schools in the area, yet they are substandard. Makes ya wonder where the money is going...
Well for one, there are many immigrants in the area who speak very little English. The schools will have to devote more resources to the kids of these families.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:24 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times
Randolph isn't a bad place to live...however, you will probably want to live along the peripheries of the town line.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:17 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Well for one, there are many immigrants in the area who speak very little English. The schools will have to devote more resources to the kids of these families.
Ugh. Don't get me started on that subject. I am going to sit here and hope all the immigrants are LEGAL, at least.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 17,472 times
Default It's too bad

I just thought I would comment about how much Randolph has changed. I grew up there in the 70's/80's and it was a quiet suburban town. Close to Boston but suburban- plenty of shopping. We had the South Shore Mall 10 minutes away. It was very safe. We would walk to school from elementary through high school. Sports were very big in the schools and lots of activities for the kids. The schools were always probably no more than average but I wouldn't say I suffered due to that- I went on to college and attained a bachelors in nursing/have a very successful career. It's just really sad to see what can happen to a middle class suburban town like Randolph was.....

Old 09-26-2007, 04:29 PM

104 posts, read 490,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjayski View Post
Hello,

I'm researching the Boston area and Randolph seems to be an affordable area. What is Randolph like? Is it a safe area? Is there shopping, restaurants? How are the middle and high schools in the area? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
We play them in basketball and at the games they have police at every door. 17 stabbings at the HS last year. It is scarey to even drive down the street! Go to Hull, Scituate, Halifax...do not more to Randolph!

Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyl View Post
I just thought I would comment about how much Randolph has changed. I grew up there in the 70's/80's and it was a quiet suburban town. Close to Boston but suburban- plenty of shopping. We had the South Shore Mall 10 minutes away. It was very safe. We would walk to school from elementary through high school. Sports were very big in the schools and lots of activities for the kids. The schools were always probably no more than average but I wouldn't say I suffered due to that- I went on to college and attained a bachelors in nursing/have a very successful career. It's just really sad to see what can happen to a middle class suburban town like Randolph was.....
I agree totally. I grew up in Randolph in the 70's and 80's and graduated from RHS also. My mother was a public school teacher there. It has completely changed now. The wealthy upscale neighborhood I lived in for
Randolph is not the same anymore. What does that say about the rest of the neighborhoods. I would not live there now. It had a few problems back then but like the previous poster said I was able to go on to college also and land a job at one of the most prestigious law firms and investment counseling firms in Boston. Alot of people from that era in Randolph are very successful now but I don't know how many people I can say that for now who will graduate from RHS. I am sure there are some but not to the extend that there was years ago. I now live out of state.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:57 PM

18 posts, read 79,478 times
I live in Randolph now and did not realize how bad it was before we bought. I would say not to move here if you can afford to go anywhere else. Stay away from Brockton as well. Good luck, shopping in MA is not an easy task. We like our house and yard here and we do not use the school system and plan to bail out of here ASAP.

On 2nd thought, want to buy a nice starter home? Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts