Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 09:18 PM

258 posts, read 673,256 times

Advertisements

We are planning a two day to Boston from new York. This is our first visit to Boston and we have a 4 year old and a 9 year old. What are the must sees in Boston and near by areas in Mass? Historic stuff? It would be nice to combine some good sight seeing along with something that the kids would totally enjoy . Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:14 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango14 View Post
We are planning a two day to Boston from new York. This is our first visit to Boston and we have a 4 year old and a 9 year old. What are the must sees in Boston and near by areas in Mass? Historic stuff? It would be nice to combine some good sight seeing along with something that the kids would totally enjoy . Thank you
Boston and the surrounding vicinity offer a ton of things to do.

I would do either the science museum, or the children's museum along with a duck tour. Doing both of those along with walking around Quincy Market would take up an entire day.

The Harbor Islands would be fun as well and a good place for kids to run around. A whale watch would be another option and the New England Aquarium.

There is a lot of historic things to see in the area. Walking the freedom trail, the tea party museum is about to open, the USS Constitution museum are all options in the city.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
The Freedom Trail is the most popular tourist itinerary through the city. It is an easy-to-follow path between many of the major historic sites, and includes popular tourist destinations like Quincy Marketplace. It begins on Boston Common and ends at the Bunker Hill Monument in Charlestown. You can also expand this itinerary by including the Black Heritage Trail, which also starts on Boston Common and runs through Beacon Hill, one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the city.

Adjacent to Boston Common across Charles Street is the Public Garden. Your kids would probably enjoy a ride on the swan boats.

The harbor islands is also a great idea on a nice day. The best choice is the boat to George's Island, home to Fort Warren (an old fort and Civil War prison). Kids love exploring the dark hallways with flashlights. It's also a great place to have a picnic and enjoy a view of the city from across the water.

I think your oldest would probably enjoy the Museum of Science more, while the youngest is probably at a better age to appreciate the Children's Museum. I suppose the aquarium might have a broader appeal. If you go to the MoS, make sure to watch a movie in the OMNI Theatre.

Honestly, that's more than enough stuff to fill up 2 days of your time. I really don't think you'll have time to explore other towns outside of Boston.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:43 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Would kids like the Freedom Trail? I don't think I would have at that age (having been dragged to Independence Hall and the Betsy Ross House in Philly every time some relative was in a city hospital).
The other suggestions sound great, especially the Duck Tour.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:52 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Maybe a day trip up to Salem for the Salem Witch Museum?

Old 06-20-2012, 01:04 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Maybe a day trip up to Salem for the Salem Witch Museum?
If they were spending 4 or maybe even 3 days in the area, I might suggest a day trip to Salem, but I wouldn't recommend the Salem Witch Museum. Everyone I know who goes there is disappointed. There are far better museums in Salem (e.g. Peabody Essex), but I'm not sure there's terribly much that would interest the kids unless they appreciate the "haunted house"-type attractions, which they might be too young for.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,005 times
Look around Cambridge and Salem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts