Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 10:07 AM

11 posts, read 14,815 times

Advertisements

Hi community.

I am going to reach to Boston at 1:00 pm, then I need to go Westborough. I am planning to go with Commuter Rail. Should i reserve seat 2-3 days in advance? Or I can take it on the way(no need to take reservation)?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,170,777 times
There are no reservations on the commuter rail. You'll have no problem getting a seat.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
There are no reservations on the commuter rail. You'll have no problem getting a seat.
You do, however, have to buy a ticket. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong someone) that if you buy your ticket in advance it's cheaper than if you buy it on the train. Not all stations have a ticketing booth and therefore not all stations offer advance ticketing.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:27 PM

As I understand it, the only time you get charged more for buying a ticket on board the train is if the station where you boarded actually has a working ticket booth or "contracted vendor." So if you board at a station with no ticket booth (nor a convenience store next door that sells tickets), they won't charge you more to buy your ticket on the train.

Currently the surcharge for purchasing your ticket on board in this situation is $1 during off-peak hours and $2 during peak hours. However, it appears that after the fare pricing changes that go into effect on July 1st, there will no longer be an on board surcharge. Instead, you will receive a $3 discount when purchasing your tickets ahead of time at a ticket window or ticket machine. It's not clear to me whether this discount will also apply to tickets purchased on the train when boarding at stations without ticket windows, but it seems that this will no longer be possible.

Does anyone know if the Westborough station has a ticket office? I can't seem to find that information. The MBTA website does list vendors in the area where you can purchase your tickets ahead of time:

Lucky Farm, 1 West Union St, Ashland
Garbarino's, 438 Waverly St., Framingham
Union Station, 2 Washington Square, Worcester

In your situation, kamoliddinov: if you are traveling before July 1st, I think it would be fine to buy your ticket when you board the train at Westborough. If you are traveling on or after July 1st, you should get your tickets ahead of time at one of the local vendors - it doesn't have to be 2-3 days in advance, just anytime before you board the train.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,164 times
If you're starting from Boston, you'll want to buy your ticket at the station from which you originate (likely South Station, possibly Back Bay) as both have functioning ticket kiosks. If you don't you'll be stuck with a slight surcharge.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
If you're starting from Boston, you'll want to buy your ticket at the station from which you originate (likely South Station, possibly Back Bay) as both have functioning ticket kiosks. If you don't you'll be stuck with a slight surcharge.
Out of curiosity, where have you had to pay a surcharge after boarding the train? As I posted above, my understanding is that this only applies when the station has a ticket window/vendor but you choose not to get your ticket there (if you're running late, perhaps). I might be wrong, but I don't recall ever paying a surcharge on my tickets when I lived in Waltham...

Old 06-20-2012, 08:11 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoliddinov View Post
Hi community.

I am going to reach to Boston at 1:00 pm, then I need to go Westborough. I am planning to go with Commuter Rail. Should i reserve seat 2-3 days in advance? Or I can take it on the way(no need to take reservation)?

thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Out of curiosity, where have you had to pay a surcharge after boarding the train? As I posted above, my understanding is that this only applies when the station has a ticket window/vendor but you choose not to get your ticket there (if you're running late, perhaps). I might be wrong, but I don't recall ever paying a surcharge on my tickets when I lived in Waltham...
I interpreted his question to be one on going from Boston to Westborough, arriving at Boston through some non-commuter rail method (Amtrak? airplane?)

I've definitely seen conductors tack on the surcharge to passengers getting on at South Station/Back Bay/Ruggles. All three of those stations have kiosks and I know at least SS/BB have ticket windows. I've seen some conductors let people off with a warning, I've also seen some conductors be very insistent on collecting the fare, and sometimes I've seen no conductor at all and everyone just rode for free. The last is not likely at 1PM.

I've never had to pay myself because I'm on a monthly pass.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I interpreted his question to be one on going from Boston to Westborough, arriving at Boston through some non-commuter rail method (Amtrak? airplane?)
Yeah, after re-reading the OP's post, that makes sense.

Quote:
I've definitely seen conductors tack on the surcharge to passengers getting on at South Station/Back Bay/Ruggles. All three of those stations have kiosks and I know at least SS/BB have ticket windows.
Right - that's the idea with the surcharge though - it only applies when you board the train at a station that does have a ticket window but you don't buy your ticket there. So if the OP is boarding the train in Boston, he should definitely buy his ticket at a window/machine.

Sorry for the confusion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts