Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 11:47 PM

25 posts, read 128,493 times

Advertisements

Where would you recommend a young student/professional living?

I have not yet had the chance to visit yet, so if you could also describe the overall look and feel of these places that would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 07:18 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynn2307 View Post
What is the budget??? You are asking people to compare apples and pineapples without knowing how much you are willing to spend. Hartford has some very unsafe area, so I would not recommend it to anyone unfamiliar with the area. Certainly you can find safe areas in West Hartford, but they will be pricey. Probably West Hartford is good for young professionals, but do some reading in the Connecticut forum. Many people have asked about West Hartford. However, it is a long commute to Springfield College.

People have *already* given you good advice. The border towns like Agawam, Southwick, Longmeadow in Mass, and Windsor, Suffield, Enfield, Ellington, and Somers in Conn. are all good, safe options, likely to be reasonably priced for a student budget.

FYI, I grew up in West Springfield, and I would recommend it if you avoid the seedy area in the South End. The budget apartments do not look great, but you would be safe enough, especially if you find a nicer, more expensive place, like an individual condo on Craigslist or The Executive House. The Executive House advertises free heat and hot water, starting at $850 for 1 BR. Generally, look for a place with central air-conditioning, not the through-the-wall units.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-08-2012 at 07:29 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynn2307 View Post

I have not yet had the chance to visit yet, so if you could also describe the overall look and feel of these places that would be great. Thanks.
Have you talked with your college housing office? They probably will have the best advice for you. And their job is to help find you good housing. Plus many times, they have a lists of other students looking for roommates. If you are new to the area, you might want to start off with an apartment or house share with fellow students. Once you get comfortable with the area, start exploring your other housing options.

Another question to ask your school housing office is for them to connect you with a senior student who can mentor you through your early months there. Or there may be a student staffed help group for new students.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:07 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
West Springfield is a good option if looking to go to school in Springfield. It is a little more urban than Enfield but not as urban as Hartford. Living in Hartford is a long haul to go to Spfld everyday and would not recomend it during the winter months. West Hartford while a great town to live in is just much to far a commute to Spfld,I would definitely look into WSPFLD or Enfield.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,011 times
"The border towns like Agawam, Southwick, Longmeadow in Mass, and Windsor, Suffield, Enfield, Ellington, and Somers in Conn. are all good, safe options, likely to be reasonably priced for a student budget."

Longmeadow, MA and Somers, CT are family towns where you live for a good school district. They are not affordable for most college students.

As suggested, you would be best off working through the colleges housing office to start out.

Ideally I would want to live near the college, student housing, for the first semester. It would give you time to figure out what you want and need. If you have no clue about the Greater Springfield area, I would hesitate to just pick a place sight unseen. Most places require a 1 year lease and I wouldn't want to be locked into a place that I may hate, but that is me.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:42 PM

12 posts, read 44,768 times
What college are you going to? Some of the colleges are in very bad neighborhoods

Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbushkey View Post
What college are you going to? Some of the colleges are in very bad neighborhoods
The OP said Springfield College, but now she's moved on to asking about Hartford, as a boyfriend is with her. She never mentioned the budget, so I've assumed it's large enough.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,261 times
If you are primarily concerned about distance to Springfield College then Springfield, West Springfield, or Enfield are your best choices since they are close to Springfield College. Though I imagine that distance is not the primary concern since you are also considering Hartford and West Hartford. If you are willing to travel 45 minutes to school then my suggestion would be to go with Hartford or West Hartford because these two cities offer a more cosmopolitan, young, happening, diverse, alive, artsy, entertaining, culturally vibrant, etc. than any of the other places mentioned. With that said, West Hartford is more expensive, safer and more upscaled than Hartford so you would have to pay more to live there. There are many great choices in Hartford's West End, Asylum Hill and Downtown areas that are both affordable and safe. Good luck !!!

Last edited by rtropical; 09-15-2012 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts