U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 06:25 AM

7 posts, read 10,601 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be starting a new job this month in Mass. but I am trying to figure out where I want to live. I lived in RI for a few years, and liked it there, so I thought about relocating there and commuting to work but now I am wondering how this will effect me with my taxes? I can't seem to find an answer when I look online.

I am assuming that it is probably smarter for me to live in the same state that I work in but are there any Rhode Islanders out there who work in Mass or vice versa who can shed some light on this topic??

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,911,614 times
My dad works in MA and lives in RI. You just have to do extra filing from MA to get the taxes paid into MA, get the money, and pay the tax rate in RI. Given the level of taxes, I would suggest you live in MA and work in MA. You can still find a place close enough to RI to spend weekday evenings or weekends. Where is your work in MA?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,118,911 times
I used to work in MA, and live in NH. There is no MA income tax on any investments derived from other sources outside MA. Also, any day you worked from home in NH, and the parent company sent you paychecks from their home base, not in MA, then you did not owe any MA income tax on it. (All the big companies are located elsewhere). Granted, property tax in NH was not pretty, depending on where you lived. But from my experience in previously living in MA for two decades, you will get taxed for every breath you take.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 8,217 times
Given that for most income levels, the income tax in MA is higher than RI, you won't pay any extra income tax (most likely) no matter where you live. The excise taxes, however, are much more expensive in RI. In my experience, car insurance is more expensive in RI as well. (I live in MA, work in RI and have lived in RI in the past)

Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,580,467 times
Overall I believe taxes are higher in RI, so your best bet would be to live in MA.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 PM

278 posts, read 669,713 times
I live in ma and work in ny. Nys tax rate is much higher so I pay taxes just to them and get a credit for it on my ma taxes. So I owe nothing to ma. If the ny rate was lower, I'd pay full tax to them since that is the state I work in, then pay the difference to MA.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:53 PM

7 posts, read 10,601 times
I'm going to be working in Middleboro..But, I'm in my mid-twenties and there seems to be no night life there and I don't mind making the commute. I was thinking North Attleboro, Seekonk, or Foxboro because they are close but I don't want to be with just families I would like to be with young professionals too, near my friends in RI-- I just want to be happy where I am living.

So I know the tax rate is a flat 5% in Mass and I think it is 7.5% for RI. So I won't be taxed twice from each state but, I will have to pay the 5% to Mass and the the 2.5% difference to RI?

Ugh some of those towns right around RI are looking really good right about now! ha

It does feel like 6 of one -- half a dozen of another because of all the other taxes in RI (car, ect..) but I can't seem to find something I am in love within my budget in Mass.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 PM

5,817 posts, read 15,138,456 times
What was it you liked about Rhode Island? Maybe you could start looking for places in MA with similar features.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:06 AM

5 posts, read 8,217 times
The income tax in RI was changed in 2011

http://www.tax.ri.gov/info/2011%20Wi...ing%20FAQs.pdf

The highest tax bracket is now 5.99%, and that's only on income over $125,000.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:13 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,911,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buns03 View Post
I'm going to be working in Middleboro..But, I'm in my mid-twenties and there seems to be no night life there and I don't mind making the commute. I was thinking North Attleboro, Seekonk, or Foxboro because they are close but I don't want to be with just families I would like to be with young professionals too, near my friends in RI-- I just want to be happy where I am living.
What about living in Quincy or even Braintree? You could still commute to Middleboro and be on the T line to get into Boston for lots of fun stuff to do. It would be a similar commute (distance-wise) to Providence or Attleboro (and even shorter for time). Is your work close to the Middleboro/Lakeville commuter rail stop? If so, that might even be an extra bonus for commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts