Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 07:19 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

We're thinking of doing a "New England Week" vacation. We're currently living in Worcester. We'd like to go to the Cape (we've been to some towns on the Cape, but want to make it to Provincetown this time), to Maine, to New Hampshire, and maybe Vermont.

We'll be driving, obviously.

Because the drive to Provincetown is aaaallll the way to the point of the Cape, and we'd have to then drive aaaalllll the way off to mainland, we were hoping that we could -- with our car -- hope on a ferry from Provincetown back inland. But apparently that ferry doesn't exist. I found plenty of ferries, but only for people -- not for their cars.

Now I'm looking for a ferry, as close to Provincetown as possible, that will get us and our car, back inland. I'm coming up with nothing.

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 09:20 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Sorry, it doesn't exist. Only passenger ferries go to Provincetown. The only boats that take cars go to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.

If you only want to see P-Town and its immediate environments, you could drive to Boston, park your car, take the ferry and get around on bikes. Otherwise, you are looking at a long drive. You are looking to go as in two completely different directions.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Sounds like you are looking to pack alot in to a week. As mentioned there is a people ferry from Boston to Ptown but that is it. Why not take a few days and explore the Cape a bit better. I feel that PTown is a long way out, and I'm starting from Brewster! So plan a day for that and you can explore the outer Cape towns and National Seahore, Who knows you might see a whale or even a Great White Shark.
You are only in Worcester so why not save Maine, NH and Vermont for another time. If you did then you could add in marthas Vineyard to your Cape trip though it is expensive to take your car over but you can rent one while there or hop a bus that will take you to all the towns.
Instead of a "tapas" trip that will be spent mostly in the car why not tuck into one area and really enjoy it.
Todd

Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Sorry, it doesn't exist. Only passenger ferries go to Provincetown. The only boats that take cars go to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.

If you only want to see P-Town and its immediate environments, you could drive to Boston, park your car, take the ferry and get around on bikes. Otherwise, you are looking at a long drive. You are looking to go as in two completely different directions.
Thanks! Good to know that I was searching for something that didn't exist, but that I came here soon after I began the (would-be thankless) search. Your knowledge is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Sounds like you are looking to pack alot in to a week. As mentioned there is a people ferry from Boston to Ptown but that is it. Why not take a few days and explore the Cape a bit better. I feel that PTown is a long way out, and I'm starting from Brewster! So plan a day for that and you can explore the outer Cape towns and National Seahore, Who knows you might see a whale or even a Great White Shark.
You are only in Worcester so why not save Maine, NH and Vermont for another time. If you did then you could add in marthas Vineyard to your Cape trip though it is expensive to take your car over but you can rent one while there or hop a bus that will take you to all the towns.
Instead of a "tapas" trip that will be spent mostly in the car why not tuck into one area and really enjoy it.
Todd
"Tapas" trip -- that's clever!

Good points, all of them. Thank you!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
You could always leave the car in Boston and take the Ferry to P-Town for a day/ overnight. Provincetown is walkable in the center of town (plenty to see there) and bikes make it easy to access any of the quieter beaches just outside of town. You really don't need a car there. You can bring bikes, or rent them at any number of places in P-Town. Cape Air also has service from Boston.

It's a good way to go if you only want to focus on the Lower Cape.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You could always leave the car in Boston and take the Ferry to P-Town for a day/ overnight. Provincetown is walkable in the center of town (plenty to see there) and bikes make it easy to access any of the quieter beaches just outside of town. You really don't need a car there. You can bring bikes, or rent them at any number of places in P-Town. Cape Air also has service from Boston.

It's a good way to go if you only want to focus on the Lower Cape.
Terrific idea. Thanks!

Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 PM

866 posts, read 2,628,526 times
Another option is the passenger ferry from Plymouth to Provincetown. The fares are much cheaper than the ferries from Boston, and I suspect parking is cheaper, too. I would definitely plan for at least one day in Provincetown.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
Another option is the passenger ferry from Plymouth to Provincetown. The fares are much cheaper than the ferries from Boston, and I suspect parking is cheaper, too. I would definitely plan for at least one day in Provincetown.
Thanks for that!

I think what we might do -- if we end up doing this "Tour of New England" trip -- is play it by ear. If there's enough time at the end -- enough time to do Provincetown properly; not just an afternoon on our way back home -- then we'll go. Otherwise, we'll save it and do it right, as its own destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts