Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 10:19 AM

5 posts, read 10,970 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am facing a life changing decision and would like your help.

Here is my background:

I am a early 30s married guy with no kids. My current employer would like to transfer me to Waltham. They provide higher pay, better benefit, and moving allowance (but the amount of allowance doesn't cover 100% of moving cost). It sounds like a great opportunity but the cost of living and the cost of apartment really discourage me =( . Plus, we purchased a house few years ago but the housing market is still very depressed and I am thinking if I decided to move, I would lease my current home and see what happen in a year or two.

1. My new salary will be around 85K, and it has great potential would go up to 95K+. Do you think this amount of salary would be okay living in Boston? My wife will look for a new job after we settle down.

2. I have talked to several realtors about housing. All of them recommended living in Cambridge, Brookline, Chestnut Hill, Charliestown,and Newton. However, when I mentioned Waltham, they all very hesitated and told me that area is not desirable. All of them were not willing to disclose any reasons. Is Waltham that bad?

What is your opinion on all cities above? Any cities should I stay away from?

3. I like Newton because the cost of apartment is little bit lower, but my wife prefers Cambridge because closer to city but more expensive.

Are both city safe to stay?
Which area in Cambridge and Newton should I stay away from?
How long it takes to drive to Waltham from Cambridge in the morning? Is traffic really bad?
How about Newton?
Any other locations are desirable based on where I work and also accessible to the city?

4. Final question. Do you think it is worth to take that job? The only thing I am concerning is my current home. Everyone tells me that it is a great opportunity and don't let the house ties me up.
It would be greatly appreciated if you could share your experience.

Last edited by Billionaire; 08-11-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 04:26 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Although I'm from there, Don't move to Boston. If your gonna work in Waltham live somewhere out there. If you talk to Boston area Realtors, there only gonna want to put in in the Boston area. As far as Waltham not being desirable much of Waltham is VERY nice! Yes some parts are crap just like any other city. But Boston, Cambridge, Brookline and Newton are all overpriced. There ARE deals out there, but I'm assuming you want to leave in the downtown-ish area, in that case, not so many deals. No point in moving to get a raise, just to cancel it out because you live in an overpriced area. But if you do anyways, from Boston or Cambridge you'll be doing a reverse commute to Waltham so traffic shouldn't be a big deal. Also, since your from TX if you own guns you'll be bringing to MA PM me, there's some stuff you need to know.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:40 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Why not live in Waltham for a while? Rent a place and get to know the area better before trying to buy. And see where your wife ends up working. Waltham is connected by commuter rail to Boston.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Realtors are probably steering you away from Waltham because it's either not in the area that they cover or they know that they won't make as much of a commission off of you because it's cheaper to live there. :P There are bad-ish areas of Waltham, but you can tell where they are just by driving through. There are plenty of great neighborhoods as well. Waltham's big downfall is the school system, which is slowly shaping up, but it doesn't sound like that will be an issue for you.

Even though it seems like Cambridge/Newton to Waltham is a reverse commute, it's really not. There isn't a reverse commute to Waltham since so many jobs are located there and people come from all over. It would take you at least 45 minutes each way from Cambridge. If the job is in the industrial area on 128, traffic is horrendous and I would try to live somewhere close that would allow you to avoid the highway.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:56 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
You'd be better off living to the west or north of Waltham, maybe somewhere like Burlington. Don't bother looking at apartments in Boston, Cambridge, Newton, etc.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:55 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Realtors are probably steering you away from Waltham because it's either not in the area that they cover or they know that they won't make as much of a commission off of you because it's cheaper to live there. :P There are bad-ish areas of Waltham, but you can tell where they are just by driving through. There are plenty of great neighborhoods as well. Waltham's big downfall is the school system, which is slowly shaping up, but it doesn't sound like that will be an issue for you.
. . . or perhaps real estate agents are steering him away from Waltham because the school system is in bad shape as you mention? Even if the OP doesn't have kids, they don't want to put down roots in a town/city that has an underperforming school system for several reasons. I love how everyone is so quick to point to the Realtor's pocket as the motivation for their advice. How much do you think an agent is going to make extra in this kind of situation? $100 maybe? I wouldn't imagine that would be worth it even to the most unscrupulous agents out there.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:46 AM

8 posts, read 28,489 times
I did the move from Houston to Boston about 12 years ago. I would agree with others and pick a spot and rent for a year or so, just so you get a feel for what works for you. Cambridge would be a fun place to start out. Parking will likely be easier to find than in Boston and your commute to Waltham would be better too.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:57 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
. . . or perhaps real estate agents are steering him away from Waltham because the school system is in bad shape as you mention? Even if the OP doesn't have kids, they don't want to put down roots in a town/city that has an underperforming school system for several reasons. I love how everyone is so quick to point to the Realtor's pocket as the motivation for their advice. How much do you think an agent is going to make extra in this kind of situation? $100 maybe? I wouldn't imagine that would be worth it even to the most unscrupulous agents out there.
Yes, but steering him towards Boston or Cambridge makes no sense either, for the same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts