Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 AM

24,458 posts, read 17,203,514 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in what others here are thinking about this. It might not be popular but everyone does have a opinion and we can have a conversation. Lets open the can of worms and look inside.

I watched the news last night and there are charges pending at Logan that the TSA people were told by their bosses to closer examine people of colour and certain nationalities.
A woman was quoted as saying the practise is terrible, this is America.......
I don't get it racial profiling is a fact of life. I like most people will give anyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise but if someone is dressed or acting a certain way my radar automatically goes up. As it should until that person is deemed a non threat.
I wish the reporter asked the lady if she would feel threatened while walking down the street and a 50ish year old woman was walking toward her or if she would feel the same threat level if a couple of thugs wearing their "gangsta gear" were walking toward her. Guarantee she would clutch her purse a little tighter.
America is the BEST country on the planet but I don't know why we are still trying to play fair in a unfair unjust world. We know who attacked us on 9/11 . It wasn't a 70 year old woman in a wheel chair or a 10 year old girl. So in the interest of protecting the good people I would like the TSA and other government agencies to take a closer look at people who do fit the profile.
In WW2 we were suspicious of people of Japanese or German decent. It may have been wrong but it is human nature.
Yesterday on public radio they were interviewing muslims who had been approached by the FBI in New York city and asked questions. The advice given to them by their leaders was to not say anything to the FBI, I think most Americans would try and help and answer the questions, instead they were instructed to do the American thing say noting and get a lawyer.
America is supposed to be a melting pot. I'm married to a woman that immigrated here and she has fit right in.
Why can't we protect ourselves better without offending anyone with what is a innate human nature.
Any thoughts of your own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 04:40 PM

86 posts, read 254,336 times
People from certain national or religious backgrounds are attempting to hijack/blow up planes. Last I checked, it wasn't the elementary school children or elderly Americans.

TSA is a waste of money jobs program handed out to people who couldn't get a job that wasn't state-created to make people feel safe.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 961 times
>>America is the BEST country on the planet but ...

>> We know who attacked us on 9/11 . It wasn't a 70 year old woman in a wheel chair or a 10 year old girl.So in the interest of protecting the good people I would like the TSA and other government agencies to take a closer look at people who do fit the profile.

We also know that a white male went on a shooting spree in Colorado. In the interest of protecting the "good" people, all theaters should thoroughly screen all white males entering a theater. Seriously, would you want that to happen? Besides, what makes you so sure that the next attack would not be coming from a 70-year old woman carrying an explosive? Beacuse it hasnt happened yet? 9/11 type attacks never happened before either.

Last edited by gramphu; 08-13-2012 at 10:05 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramphu View Post
We also know that a white male went on a shooting spree in Colorado. In the interest of protecting the "good" people, all theaters should thoroughly screen all white males entering a theater. Seriously, would you want that to happen? Besides, what makes you so sure that the next attack would not be coming from a 70-year old woman carrying an explosive? Beacuse it hasnt happened yet? 9/11 type attacks never happened before either.
Drug smugglers are always recruiting elderly persons as "mules," as well as putting contraband in infants' diapers or inside hollow molds women wear to make them appear pregnant. Suicide bombers in less "stable" places use these same tactics. Who's to say the same thing won't be tried with weapons/explosives here - or hasn't been tried?
I get hassled pretty regularly at airports, why? Because I normally go by my middle name. My credit/debit cards, driver's license, etc are liable to carry as many as three variations on that name depending on which I take out to prove who I am. Then if my boarding pass shows none of the above - interrogation time. THAT's where it gets ridiculous. But because a Caucasian male of my vintage was a perpetrator of the Oklahoma City atrocity and others have done terrible things, the need to take the seemingly absurd measures of removing shoes and emptying pockets and so on is accepted grudgingly. It's the times we live in. And the people who kick and scream about it draw all the more suspicion by acting out that way.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:35 AM

24,458 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Good points everyone. it is true that anyone is capable of anything given the right persuasion be it monetary, threats, idealogy belief, brainwash etc.. Generally speaking there is a profile of a certain age male that is more likely to do something. Also in all of us if we choose to listen to it is a little voice that tells us something isn't right. Some of the airline personal reported feeling this about some of the suicide bombers after the 9-11 attacks. The doctor and school had the feeling about that clown that shot up the movie theatre.
The last time I crossed the border was last year at Niagra Falls and with all the cameras, fences, gates and interrogation by the not so friendly customs guy with the others staring me down it felt like I was stepping into a prison. He thought it strange that I went across for an hour to take photos. I guess I'm lucky I wasn't searched, a white male mid 40's with camera in one hand and passport in the other. This is the world we live in and it has to be accepted. The border guards and TSA have a very difficult job and what is unfortunate is alot of times their hands are tied due to regulations and quotas. If they get a "feeling" about someone they should be able to investigate further instead of fearing they might get sued because they already pulled aside their quota of males 20-40 hour and they need to up the granny searches.
Iguess I'm saying we should all be more aware and listen to that little voice inside when it tells us something isn't right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts