Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 02:11 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times

Advertisements

If prep schools like Phillips Andover are "feeder" schools for Ivy League universities then what are the "feeder" schools for schools like PA? Where do the elementary/ middle school kids come from before entering these prep schools? I know there are some students from all over the country/world but what schools are the locals coming from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 09:50 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Most of the students at Phillips Andover came from local Massachusetts public school systems. Additionally, I would look at the actual graduation statistics of PA before calling it a "feeder" school for Ivy League universities, that's a bit of a generalization.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:16 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Most of the students at Phillips Andover came from local Massachusetts public school systems. Additionally, I would look at the actual graduation statistics of PA before calling it a "feeder" school for Ivy League universities, that's a bit of a generalization.
Umm.... try again... we had students from all over the country, and the WORLD coming to PA Andover... it IS a feeder school (depending on what field of study you choose). Don't ask me how I know.

Finis Origine Pendet... Non Sibi

How many high schools have their own radio station? (WPAA, though I heard it is now gone, but it was a lot of fun). Look at the number of famous people that graduated from there... High-school testing scores sure aren't the gold standard for the success of an individual... it is the self-motivation and drive of the person that accomplishes success. Many of the students passed out of their first year of college (at really hard schools), due to their education at PA.

Try some schools in Dorchester, Holyoke, Worcester, Mattapan or Roxbury, and see how far you get.

Geez.

(To be fair, numerous top middle schools in MA are feeder schools to PA. Andover being one of them).

Old 08-21-2012, 07:10 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
As with most of these prep schools,as long as you have the cash they have the room. My younger brother went to Pomfret acadamey and was a hellion. He started skipping school in the 6th grade,hung out with some rough kids from JP and was arrested 5 times before high school. My parents were all set for him to go to PA but decided it was to close to home(Brookline)so they withdrew him and sent him to Pomfret instead. As far as grades go he was horrible but the money was there every year so he was retained,and sadly that is what drives these places....money.

I went to Deerfield acadamey,had a great time and decided to stay in Western Mass and go to UMass much to my parents dismay. Took a teaching job at A.I.C and have been here ever since.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
I went to Deerfield acadamey,had a great time and decided to stay in Western Mass and go to UMass much to my parents dismay. Took a teaching job at A.I.C and have been here ever since.
So what was the point of your parents spending the $200,000 on your high school education? I don't blame them for being dismayed. You had the best preparation possible, but went to an OK college. Some might see that as a waste.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
So what was the point of your parents spending the $200,000 on your high school education? I don't blame them for being dismayed. You had the best preparation possible, but went to an OK college. Some might see that as a waste.
UMASS Amherst is at least a little more than "OK". The elitism on this board is baffling at times.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:35 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
UMASS Amherst is at least a little more than "OK". The elitism on this board is baffling at times.
It is marginal. It is ranked 94th (so at least in the top 100), and the acceptance rate is 68%. It is also dirt cheap for residents (something like $12K). Umass Medical is also very inexpensive, and is ranked quite high.
I think you are confusing "elitism" with "wanting to provide the best opportunities for the parents' children".
Parents spend a lot of time and energy raising their children, and want to give their children the best opportunities in life. UMass (well only the Med school) got a solid one Nobel prize winner (the undergrad/grad has zero, and the campuses are huge). A tiny school like Johns Hopkins has 36, and they are ranked 15th in NP recipients. I would think that parents would want to surround their children with the doers and thinkers of the next generation, and provide a full college learning experience. YMMV

Old 08-22-2012, 07:00 AM

389 posts, read 664,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Umm.... try again... we had students from all over the country, and the WORLD coming to PA Andover...

How many high schools have their own radio station? (WPAA, though I heard it is now gone, but it was a lot of fun)....

Try some schools in Dorchester, Holyoke, Worcester, Mattapan or Roxbury, and see how far you get.

While I am sure that "better school districts" do have a higher percentage of students accepted to elite prep schools, if a student is motivated, that student will get in.

Things may have changed since I applied (early 90s), but I went to middle school in Lawrence (I know, I know... it wasnt on your list ) andwas accepted to not only PA, but Gov. Dummer (now called "The Governor's Academy?), Brooks Academy, etc. I ended up at Lawrence High, as I couldnt (even at that tender age) justify paying money for something that was "free". I like to think things worked out for me.

That being said, as a parent, I would want every advantage for my child and would want to be in a reputable school district...

BTW, it may not have been a radio station, but LHS did have a TV station

Old 08-22-2012, 07:05 AM

389 posts, read 664,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
It is marginal. It is ranked 94th (so at least in the top 100), and the acceptance rate is 68%. ...
I have heard, when I was pondering Grad School, that the robotics program at UMass was one of the best in the world...

That was the reputation in CompSci circles any way...

I guess I am saying that, while undergrad may have rankings to go by, graduate programs (not schools, necessarily) are what count, and are tough to rank...

Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
"Elite" is hardly what I am - I went to Pitt, an OK school itself. But my parents didn't spend hundreds of thousands on my secondary education, plus I went to college for free.

I equate this to people I see here in Jackson spending $15000 per kid per year on private school from grade school to high school, only for the kid to go to Ole Miss, a non-competitive college if ever there was one. I do consider that a waste of the parents money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts