Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:56 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times

Advertisements

Although I was born and raised there, I had moved by the time the new healthcare reforms took place. In light of the current discussion and battle over healthcare, how is Romney's idea working over there? Is it working or not? He certainly tried to distance himself during this campaign. Where's the truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 02:08 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times
I moved out of Massachusetts in the mid 1990s and I'm curious of how the healthcare system is working in MA.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:09 PM

325 posts, read 486,692 times
Costs are the same and rising at the same pace. More people are covered. Wait times are longer for PCP's.

A mixed bag but anyone who denies any of those facts is a partisan shill. Just trying to be as honest as I can.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
Costs are the same and rising at the same pace. More people are covered. Wait times are longer for PCP's.

A mixed bag but anyone who denies any of those facts is a partisan shill. Just trying to be as honest as I can.
Thanks for your response. Would you say the only advantage is that more people are covered then?

Old 08-31-2012, 03:54 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I'd say that more people are covered is a HUGE advantage.

Massachusetts is one of the best places to find a job right out of college, but aside from NYC and maybe San Francisco, it's also the most expensive. If these jobs do not offer health insurance, many young adults would not be able to afford it on their own while still paying rent.

As a young adult cancer survivor who was insured by my employer, I was lucky. I was able to be treated at some of the world's best hospitals on my insurance - right along with other 23 year olds who were not able to find jobs with health insurance and whose parents might not have been insured (mine were not so the "be on your parents health insurance until 26" national program, while fantastic, was not helpful to me). I have friends who are alive because MassHealth exists- they were able to get treatment with no gaps, unlike some other states. Even while insured, cancer is incredibly expensive, but I know that I rest easier knowing that other people my age won't face $300,000 + medical bills in their early 20s just because they graduated from college during a recession.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'd say that more people are covered is a HUGE advantage.

Massachusetts is one of the best places to find a job right out of college, but aside from NYC and maybe San Francisco, it's also the most expensive. If these jobs do not offer health insurance, many young adults would not be able to afford it on their own while still paying rent.

As a young adult cancer survivor who was insured by my employer, I was lucky. I was able to be treated at some of the world's best hospitals on my insurance - right along with other 23 year olds who were not able to find jobs with health insurance and whose parents might not have been insured (mine were not so the "be on your parents health insurance until 26" national program, while fantastic, was not helpful to me). I have friends who are alive because MassHealth exists- they were able to get treatment with no gaps, unlike some other states. Even while insured, cancer is incredibly expensive, but I know that I rest easier knowing that other people my age won't face $300,000 + medical bills in their early 20s just because they graduated from college during a recession.
Thanks for sharing your story and putting it (the healthcare system) in perspective! Glad to hear you are better. I can see the fact that more people have access to health insurance is a huge advantage for the residents, overall.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:14 PM

325 posts, read 486,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Thanks for sharing your story and putting it (the healthcare system) in perspective! Glad to hear you are better. I can see the fact that more people have access to health insurance is a huge advantage for the residents, overall.
Just bear in mind that you will be adding a huge amount of patients to the PCP system with almost no incentives (and indeed disincentives such as inadequate medicaid/medicare reimbursements) to train new doctors. It's simple economics.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:08 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
The percentage of people not covered before the health care act was a lot lower than, say, the percentage of not-covered people in a place like Texas.
That said, I am much relieved that I cannot be denied private coverage for pre-existing conditions if need be. There are a lot of moves and experiments towards cost cutting, which is a serious issue, although I suspect no more than anywhere else. If I wanted my current (employer-based) coverage on my own, it would be about $1000 a month, but I couldn't be turned down for age (59) or any other conditions. Likely I'd choose one of the much cheaper options that you can view at Healthconnector.org.

I think it's a shame that Romney can't/won't see anything he did as governor as a plus for him- guess he has to bow to the Tea Party and such. But the healthcare thing is wonderful, a real relief for most people.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:25 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think it's a shame that Romney can't/won't see anything he did as governor as a plus for him- guess he has to bow to the Tea Party and such. But the healthcare thing is wonderful, a real relief for most people.
I think that the important difference between Romneycare and Obamacare is that with Romney's plan, it was a state decision. I think that every state has to look at what they have to work with and how they want to enforce it. In Massachusetts, we are lucky that we have good employment numbers and most of the residents already had healthcare from their employers. So what works for MA, may not work for RI or CA or any other state depending on how big the gap is between the already insured and those who are no insured.

Romneycare was a good start, however the biggest problem is actually how to get the astronomical price of healthcare down to where it is truly affordable. And we also need to look at malpractice suits and insurance. We should look into capping the amount of the settlements and/or how much lawyers can make from these suits. Maybe instead of lawyers getting involved, there should be review boards and mediation.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:52 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Tort reform, you bet.
However, there are aspects of Romneycare/Affordable Healthcare Act that shouldn't be state. In fact, only the individual mandate appears to be the question. How about not being denied for pre-existing conditions, or parental coverage for people under 26? Heavens, Scott Brown's daughters are on his coverage, and he's... a Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts