Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 11:26 AM

49 posts, read 235,723 times

Advertisements

One thing I notice is if you are single it seems like it is easier to make friends, but once your in a relationship nobody really wants to bother with you unless they are also in a relationship.

So my suggestion is try a course at a community college, maybe up your age bracket a bit (up to 10-12 years from your age) this will give you more options without feeling like there is a giant gap in age difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 09:50 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,096 times
Try to find special interest clubs, seminars, etc, that appeal to you.

Running clubs, nature groups, and frisbee golf clubs have always been good places for me to meet people. Dance lessons or events can be good too - ballroom lessons, salsa, or contra (offbeat, but especially friendly folks at contra). Volunteer at local events. Go to the local gun club if that's your thing. Whatever!

Pick a recreational or hobby club that appeals to you! The community college is a good idea too - enrich your brain and possibly your social life!

We live in rat race New England, where people view small talk as taxing and suspect, and in our scarce free time we aren't particularly easygoing toward strangers, and keep to ourselves! You probably aren't going to make friends here at the bar, the mall, or at the park! But in a special interest setting you may have better luck! Good luck!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 AM

940 posts, read 1,935,668 times
Church hasn't been mentioned yet, but that's were you can meet a lot of people very easily, who will be happy to meet new people, and they are always into socializing.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
We live in rat race New England, where people view small talk as taxing and suspect, and in our scarce free time we aren't particularly easygoing toward strangers, and keep to ourselves! You probably aren't going to make friends here at the bar, the mall, or at the park! But in a special interest setting you may have better luck! Good luck!
I commiserate with the OP. I know a couple of people IRL who constantly ask the same question here in our part of suburbia, and for the life of me I don't know what to tell them. They've already tried some of the suggestions already given in this thread, and have found that most of them are populated by people nowhere near their age bracket

Side note: An semi-retired couple lives at the other end of my street. My husband and I have talked with them a few times while walking our dogs. They're native to this area, and until they retired they had little to do with their neighbors and such because they were so busy. Now they find themselves in the same predicament as the OP.

When I was younger I took a lot of evening classes at the Boston Center for Adult Education. I belonged to a community chorus for many years. I went to church regularly. I also used to go power walking at the nearby beach and did my paperwork at the local coffee shop. Basically, I did anything that would get me out and about. Maybe I'd meet somebody, maybe not, but putting myself "out there" made me feel less lonely. If nothing else, I was also doing something that interested me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts