Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:06 PM

130 posts, read 831,398 times

Advertisements

Hi again -

We're 95% sure we're moving up there. All that remains is hammering out salary and relocation stuff.

Next step is to actually come up and take a look around!

Any advice on pulling this off with toddlers? (23 & 13 months). We ideally need to do this in 1, 2 at the most trips, and over long weekends. Expenses-wise, and time off from work-wise.

That said, how do you check out several towns, and then hopefully several houses, when working around naptime, feedings, etc?

Obviously the ideal is to leave them with relatives, but we're not really able to do that for a variety of reasons.

has anyone done this? Have tips to share? Would LOVE to hear them!!!!

Thanks,
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 05:04 PM

735 posts, read 3,495,189 times
Hi Patap!

We don't have toddlers, but I can tell you that investigating towns can take a significant amount of time. We looked in several areas before we settled in Metrowest and made long (LONG) days of it. Drove out around 10am and drove through a town or two- had lunch in the area and drove on to another town in the afternoon. Some areas we ruled out right away, but others required a second glimpse and checking out specific properties available. Then there are towns you like, but no properties you like etc. It's hard, but my general advice is to narrow your list as much as possible and do as much as you can online prior.

Good luck to you and your family!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:33 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,912,444 times
lots of snacky finger food (cheerio's, etc) and a stash of NEW little toys. They're a little young to sit and watch a portable DVD for too long, but that might be a nice distraction for them short-term. When you hook up with a Realtor, either you follow them around OR make sure they have a child-friendly car (no 2-seater Mercades LOL)

Up till a couple months ago, I drove a mini-van, it suited my lifestyle (kids, dogs, musical instruments, etc) and if a client had a car-seat or two to buckle in, no biggie... Boy, I MISS that 3rd row now!!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:16 PM

270 posts, read 1,357,734 times
Just did it with my 3 and 7 year olds and it was like that: My Realtor sent me long listings in the two weeks before we came up to Boston. I would work through the lists (commute, schools, price, towns, even google.earthed it to see if the roads were too big) and narrow them down to the houses I really wanted to see. I would sent the narrowed down list back to my Realtor (by MLS numbers usually) around Thursday or Friday and she would set up appointments for that coming Saturday (sometimes she would already be able to get some answers on some houses i.e. if there is an offer in, how fast they want to move...). Now comes the trick: I would go by myself and look at as many houses as possible all day Saturday. (Husband kept the kids and did all the cool Boston stuff with them). I tried to see at least 20 houses in different towns. Then I would narrow it down for my husband again and set up appmts. for that Sunday and work in the open houses for him as well. We would then switch and he would go look at all the houses I had seen already and would consider. Sometimes we would take the kids with us or meet in between. Of course then you can not see as much and need more breaks. These weekends were long and stressful...we did most of it in the winter and early spring. And we had an agent that was up to it. Sometimes she would sent her assistant, though. We managed to see around 50 to 60 houses this way....but it was not until me and the kids finally moved up here and lived in my husbands temporary apartment that we found our house. Then it took me only two weeks. I would usually take the kids with me but would look at only 2 or 3 houses. And yes all of the above: snacks, new surprise toys :-), bribery and promises ha ha.
I know of another family whose Realtor actually pre-visited houses and screened them for them. That saves a lot of time but I don't know if you can convince your Realtor to do that. Or maybe you don't even want that. I probably would have taken her up on an offer like that, especially now with all these houses to see. Good luck!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:02 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,986,807 times
Be very specific about your needs with your Agent well in advance and make sure your Agent is kid-friendly (someone who's had toddlers and "been there, done that"). I suggest you follow the Agent in your own car. The kids will be more comfortable in their own surroundings. Little surprises and treats, as mentioned before, are good but also bring some familiar things that they are attached to.
Also don't bring the kids into every home you look at. One of you stay with the kids, the other goes into the house. They kids can have a break from the car with one parent, run around outside, etc. If you bring the kids in you'll be chasing them around rather than looking at the house. If the house has potential, you can switch and your spouse can take a look. Children don't enjoy looking at houses. They also like to touch everything they see, as you well know.
If you're looking at that many homes in a short period of time, they'll start to blur after #6. Have a clipboard with the MLS sheets in order of showing. Make detailed notes on the sheets while or immediately after looking at the house. This will help you remember what you liked and didn't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts