Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:48 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times

Advertisements

Samcat50, your property values will always be a tad higher being on the Bradford side of the river, however, anywhere on the outskirts of the city is also a good bet. North Ave area (Plaistow border), upper Broadway (bordering Metheun), Lincoln Ave (Riverside area borders Groveland). One nice thing about Bradford/Ward Hill is that you can easily access Rte 495 without sitting through countless sets of lights, traffic, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 23,723 times
Valarie, I appreciate your feed back. How well do you know Lowell? There is a condo on Park Ave West that looks good on the listings. Also one on White Street, Inland St and Wannalancit. Any feedback you can give me would be appreciated. I know that the closer you get to Boston the more expensive it will be but is there any town that tends to get overlooked by house hunters that would have some good deals? Thanks for your help.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:03 AM

1 posts, read 17,562 times
Kanastar is letting you have it as it is. Live in the area (not Haverhill). Nobody as mentioned the problem with gangs in this city nor their schools having problems. Last I heard they were not accredited. Drugs are the biggest problem, and yes, dissuption with kids, breakins, etc. are major in the city area. Bradford, on the other hand, is a nice area. As a matter of fact Bradfordites DO NOT like to say they are from Haverhill - it would be an insult. Yes, there are many decent places to live in Haverhill such as Riverside. Every city or town here in Massachusetts has its problems. Problem is really with most of the police departments. I don't know about California, but originally not being a native of Massachusetts, after thirty years of being up here is still culture shock. No hospitality whatsoever. Anybody visiting from the midwest can't find a way fast enough to get out. Again, like I said, I don't know what you're used to, but I was just talking with someone from the Carolinas (I lived there for a couple of years too - really nice!), said they had to come up to the Boston area for business for a week and couldn't wait to get home where they were used to people talking to you when walking down the streets or anywhere as a matter of fact. Well, getting back to Haverhill. It's all what you're accustom to. If you want some nice towns in the area that you'd really enjoy the Andovers. Are considered very very nice. North Andover is really pricey, Andover you can get into reasonably, especially at this time in the market. Good school systems too. Boxford extremely pricey - considered one of the safest towns together with Topsfield. Middleton, so, so. All three of these towns have one major high school with very good ratings and curriculum. Georgetown is another nice town bordering Haverhill. Lawrence totally forget. Leave your car anywhere in Lawrence, even in the court parking garage, and good luck. I was born in Lawrence and it too, like Haverhill and Lynn, was thriving in the 50's and 60's. As for Lawrence going down Broadway you'd better have a machete. Rated as the number one worst citiy in the US now. Pretty hard to believe is can beat places like Roxbury, Mattapan etc. If you do, in fact, move to Haverhill stay in the Riverside area (Georgetown bordering area), Methuen bordering area, Bradford and the like. Bradford is best - but again the school system??????

Old 05-22-2008, 01:37 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
It's unfortunate that "Bradfordites" are insulted by saying they're from Haverhill, because like it or not they ARE from Haverhill, albeit the Bradford section of Haverhill. Just like Ward Hill, Riverside, Rocks Village, etc. They pay their taxes to the same city hall, and send their kids to the same schools.

Yes Kanastar IS letting you have it as it is in The Acre. 6th Ave, 7th Ave and Franklin are VERY well known drug/gang areas, and I would be the first to warn people of exactly what to expect in those areas.

It sure would be nice if people could afford to live in some of the wonderful towns mentioned, such as the Andovers, Boxford, etc, but the fact is that Haverhill has some very good values. Watch the neighborhood you live in and be involved with your child's education, Yes, it is possible for kids to find success in the Haverhill school system WITH highly involved parents! For example, my 2 nephews are graduating from HHS and Whittier Tech in the next few weeks. Both going on to continue their education, one in architecture, the other pre-law. So it's not all doom and gloom in Haverhill...

The schools never did lose their accreditation BTW, but was on "probation" for the building conditions of HHS.

From the Eagle Tribune: Work done at Haverhill High in the last fouryears includes replacement of doors and windows and heating and ventilation systems, and construction of new science labs. The renovations came after the school became in danger of losing its accreditation when a group of experts determined the condition of the building failed to meet expected standards.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:48 AM

144 posts, read 594,654 times
I have lived in Haverhill for 15 years never really had any problems. I you are not looking for trouble you will not find it. I go out downtown quite frequently and have never felt unsafe, or scared. there is no really no reason to do threw the bad areas of town there are not restaurants or shops there.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 17,637 times
Default No!!! havehill is not that bad

In fact Haverhill is a wonderful place to live. We purchased our first home in Havehill (Morgan Drive) about 10 years ago and we adored the charm of the city. Admittedly, we moved away after two years because everyone kept telling us how horrible the city was. We then purchased a home in Chelmsford which is by all accounts a "nice" town but we did not find the town to be as friendly or quaint as Haverhill. In addition, you do not get as nice a house for your money. After 3 years, we found ourselves missing Haverhill so much that we sold our home in Chelmsford and bought our current home in Haverhill (Northfields). We love our neighborhood and the surrounding amenities. Everyone is friendly and we feel completely safe. Granted there are parts of Haverhill that are less than desirable but you find these areas in many towns. You just have to use common sense. I would encourage those folks who criticize Haverhill to spend some time enjoying getting to know the town and all that it has to offer including the revitalized downtown area, great restuarants, antique shops and wonderful people.

I am proud to say that I live in Haverhill MA.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 17,578 times
Haverhill has lots of drawbacks in my opinion. Crime seems to be getting worse all the time. I live in Merrimac, a town of 6,000 just up rt 110 about 10 miles from the house your looking at. I have a Victorian with an attached barn that is my workshop and can be used for commercial reasons. I am a pressed flower artist. I am relocating to Fla and can include my unique business in with the sale of the house. Even if you were not interested in my house there are lots of houses in town on the market.. Its a safe friendly town, without the snobbism of the andovers and it is in a fantastice school distric Pentucket Regional....I sub in the schools as well. i can give you honest opinions about all the towns around here......barbara photos too!

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-24-2008 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 06-25-2008, 02:53 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,649,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai12 View Post
Kanastar is letting you have it as it is. Live in the area (not Haverhill). Nobody as mentioned the problem with gangs in this city nor their schools having problems. Last I heard they were not accredited. Drugs are the biggest problem, and yes, dissuption with kids, breakins, etc. are major in the city area. Bradford, on the other hand, is a nice area. As a matter of fact Bradfordites DO NOT like to say they are from Haverhill - it would be an insult. Yes, there are many decent places to live in Haverhill such as Riverside. Every city or town here in Massachusetts has its problems. Problem is really with most of the police departments. I don't know about California, but originally not being a native of Massachusetts, after thirty years of being up here is still culture shock. No hospitality whatsoever. Anybody visiting from the midwest can't find a way fast enough to get out. Again, like I said, I don't know what you're used to, but I was just talking with someone from the Carolinas (I lived there for a couple of years too - really nice!), said they had to come up to the Boston area for business for a week and couldn't wait to get home where they were used to people talking to you when walking down the streets or anywhere as a matter of fact. Well, getting back to Haverhill. It's all what you're accustom to. If you want some nice towns in the area that you'd really enjoy the Andovers. Are considered very very nice. North Andover is really pricey, Andover you can get into reasonably, especially at this time in the market. Good school systems too. Boxford extremely pricey - considered one of the safest towns together with Topsfield. Middleton, so, so. All three of these towns have one major high school with very good ratings and curriculum. Georgetown is another nice town bordering Haverhill. Lawrence totally forget. Leave your car anywhere in Lawrence, even in the court parking garage, and good luck. I was born in Lawrence and it too, like Haverhill and Lynn, was thriving in the 50's and 60's. As for Lawrence going down Broadway you'd better have a machete. Rated as the number one worst citiy in the US now. Pretty hard to believe is can beat places like Roxbury, Mattapan etc. If you do, in fact, move to Haverhill stay in the Riverside area (Georgetown bordering area), Methuen bordering area, Bradford and the like. Bradford is best - but again the school system??????
Not that I expect an answer, but where is this list of cities that ranks Lawrence as the worst city in the US?

Old 06-26-2008, 11:41 AM

10 posts, read 70,146 times
Default HAverhill

First of all please send me the links for the most dangerous cities in the USA, and i just looked and for 2006 and 2007 rthe most dangerous were Detroit and St. Louis, Lawrence doesnt even make the list becasue it doesnt have 75000 peopel! so i dont no where u are getting your info from

Secondly I wouldnt be saying Haverhill is such a nice place like someof these people. Yea sure a lot of areas are getting better like the downtown and up near Groveland area and Bradford, But i moved from haverhill in 2001-2002 and visit there about 6 times a year, and HAverhill is getting worst and worst every time i visit. I used to live on Howard St right across the street from 5th ave and that neighborhood wasnt THAT bad, even though there was always loud music and young teens of all races vandalising stuff, but i felt pretty safe. MY car got broken into 3 times and got vandelised at least 5 times a year! haha When ever i would drive by 5th ave or 4th ave and Portland St the houses and neighborhoods would get worst and worst, and thoses streets have a lot of crime.

So i would say BRadford, Grovland, downtown and past 10th ave is pretty safe
The bad areas withthe most crime is 4th-8th ave and streets in it like Portland St, Cedar St North St(or AVe) abd Franklin St. Also Washnighton St and the streets like Bellevue Ave and and the other streets next to it

But i would not say it is really bad, but it is definitly not that good of an area either

Old 08-12-2008, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 17,223 times
Default the avenues

I would just like to respond to the lovely story about franklin st. And the aves. First of all I have lived on 6th ave pretty much my 26 years of life so if anyone knows the neighborhood it's me. Yes it isn't the nicest area. It used to be back when I was younger. It was mostely Greek families or white families. Middle class with a kid or two. I grew up with alot of the kids and it was normal. We could ride our bikes go to the neighbors for a cookout or swimming. Now forget it. Once those families moved out the area got worse and worse. Yes there are alot of Spanish people replacing those families and not that I am racist by any means I know plenty of Spanish people but there is a difference with some of them. Alot of these people have no respect for others playing music all night long during the week when most of us have to work. The kids now are extremely disrespectful and they do flip u off when u tell them to get out of the street but that is every where in Haverhill. Also I have had my car broken into right in front of my house. There have been a few slashed tires, spray painted cars, and broken windows. A few months after I bought a new car someone shot my window out with a bb gun. I can't stand living here anymore and want to move. Haverhill is nothing like it used to be. I feel like lawrence is spreading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts