Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:46 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,952,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I am against this ballot question. I believe every life is sacred and unique. But it is more than a religious argument for me. The very nature of a doctor's Hippocratic Oath is to do no harm to their patients. Assisting in the killing of a patient the ultimate form of harm that can be inflicted. That means that every physician who assists in a suicide is breaking that very oath. This is why the Massachusetts Medical Society is firmly opposed to this measure.

Second, the very sick are subjected to the will of their heirs as to whether or not to terminate their life. That's right - if you become very sick and need to give power of attorney to someone, they, not you, can make the choice for a physician to end your life. The need for a witness to your 'consent' can also be abused - again, it could be your heir that is the 'witness' that you want to kill yourself. That's not choice. That's not dignity.

Also, we already have laws in place for people who choose 'death with dignity'. You have the right to refuse life saving treatments (e.g., no resuscitating orders or refusal to take medication). This measure is unnecessary and in fact compounds the problem.

This is wrong morally and culturally. We cannot allow this to come to the Commonwealth.
No, that is not right. You are surmising that that is the way it would work. I am sure the law could be structured to prevent things like that from happening.

There is nothing sacred or uinique about writhing in pain for days, weeks or months before you die.

And, as far as the Hypocratic Oath goes.....I would say allowing someone to suffer excruciating pain when you have the power to end it, is violating that oath. You are causing harm by withholding the opportunity to die painlessly.

Our current laws on death with dignity? Do you really believe that being forced to endure horrible circumstance or being starved to death is dignified?

If you never want to avail yourself of assisted suicide, I am sure you could execute a document while you are healthy stating that YOU never want to use that option.......no matter what.....because YOU don't believe in it.

However, wanting to deny others the right to choose is extremely selfish on your part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 AM

419 posts, read 1,231,453 times
No one has the Right to mandate someone elses OWN life, to think anyone would think otherwise is both sickening and maddening.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:37 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,086,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And yet, those who are against assisted suicide claim that the pain can be controlled. They are outright liars.

BTW....why would you feel guilty if you had the opportunity to choose assisted suicide rather than suffer?

I am absolutely positive your husband would be very grateful that you didn't have to suffer like he did.
I would/am too scared to break the very 1st Commandment although I wanted to crush up my husband's pain killers and let him OD. He didn't want that though. He went all the way with this. I wish I could ask him if he'd be disappointed in me if I took the easy way out. Silly, I know, but affter all the suffering he did, I'd hate like hell to screw my chances up of reuniting with him. That is just MY feelings though. For anyone who has the guts to "pull the trigger", they should have the right to.

After seeing the look on my husband's oncologist one time at the desk when he was telling his secretary that someone was going to die, (in hushed tones but husband and I could read his face) I agree that probably lots of doctors would like to end their patients suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts