Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 04:26 PM

25 posts, read 97,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTwisties View Post
I have to agree and disagree with some of the things said here.

We moved to Springfield MA about 7 years ago. My husband got an offer to work for a company in Agawam, there was not much time to think and we made the move. Bought a house near Baystate Medical Center and Elm's College. We're right on the border of Chicopee. Let me tell you, this was the BIGGEST MISTAKE we could make. Springfield is NOT a good place to live in. There is NO AREA of this city, no matter what anyone says, that is safe. Let me explain: we do live in a nice and quiet neighborhood. Our neighborhood is not the problem, neither the people who live in it. It's all the people who live AROUND our neighborhood and come here to cause troubles! What someone said about those "island people" is 100% correct. They came here, put themselves on wellfare, then live off out taxes money, steal from people, vandalise our homes and cars, commit crimes, and use food stamps to buy lobsters, filet mignons steaks and what not at the grocery (seen with my own eyes) when most of us (middle and higher income families) are working, paying bills and indulge in that kind of food only once in a while. Now don't get me wrong, you can't put all of them in the same basket. Some of them are hard working people that have pride and self-esteem, and will not associate with the rest of them. Same thing goes with us, there is white trash in this city. So far we have been vandalise many times, so did my neighbors. We've had a brand new mountain bike stolen from our backyard, that we just bought for my husband, the brand new baby seat was on it with our daughter cute little helmet. My husband went chasing after him. Yes it was an hispanic male. We got our SUV broken into, they stole expensive construction lazer equipment, cell phone, flash light, etc. We had paint balls capsules shooted on our house exterior walls. We've had just a few weeks ago, our Christmas decorations damaged and stolen (they cut the wires and took off with our candy canes). My neighbor had their Jeep Cherokee and Mustang broke into, windows shattered. Another one had her child's toys stolen from their backyard, and her oldest's son car smashed into by a "drag racer", they come on our street and drag race at night. I've witnessed and try to stop young men from stealing my neighbors bicycles....they laugh in my face and took of with the bicycles. All the times we witnessed one of those happenings, it was done by hispanics. I wish they'd get a JOB and work for what they want!! The Springfield Police is horrible. You call them when something is being damaged or stolen on your property, they take over an hour to show up. You call them to let them know someone was racing on your street and hit a light pole at 3a.m. in the morning and it fell on the ground, broken in two with electric wires across the street, they take half an hour to show up. A friend of ours who is in the Spfld police told us it is one of the worse police in all Massachusetts, that many of them are corrupted, into drug dealing and what not. Geesh, if someone was to brake into my house at night to steal and kill my family, how long would they take to show up? I'm sure we'd have enough time to be killed a hundred times before they get to our house. Springfield is extremly UNSAFE, DIRTY, it has the worse school system I've EVER seen. Don't fool yourself thinking you'll be able to send your kids to Sabis Charter School, the waiting list is so long! Both my daughters have been on the list for 2 years now, I called them again recently and they told me my oldest will probably not make it in there on time (she's in 5th grade, and was hoping to get her in there before middle school to avoid those horrible Spfld schools), and my youngest is in 1st grade, they also told me she probably won't get in there before middle school. You'd have to put your child on their list when he/she is born! Where I come from the schools are excellent, teachers communicate on a regular basis with parents, they care about our children. They will stay after school to take some time with your child if she's having problems understanding something. Never seen this happening here, the teachers arrive at last minute in the morning and leave at 3:30 right at the end of their class. The principal is the most stuck-up, snobbish, innaproachable person I've met in a school, always right and the parent always wrong.

Good news is, we are moving to Southwick in just a few weeks. We bought a house there, and cannot wait to get out of here. I won't be coming near that discusting city again if I don't have to.

Southwick, Northampton, Granville, Agawam, Easthampton, Westhampton, Amherst, etc. are all much better choices! Anything is better than Springfield.
I grew up in the area you are talking about. I grew up in Glenwood on Los Angeles St and its such a shame that this has happenned to this city. When I was growing up 60's and 70's Springfield was a real nice city. It's a crying shame that the element that was allowed to move in and settle where actually encouraged to behave the way that they did. I live n Florida now but am planning a move back in the fall but I am looking at either Northampton area or somewhere around Southwick. Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 17,081 times
Post Truth vs. Opinions

Let me start by saying that I only got here while googling Fresh Acres...and while I don't have time right now, I'm going to reply anyway. I live in Longmeadow and have for a few years. It's full of community and the taxes are actually cheaper than Springfield although, the real estate is high. I lived in Westfield before and am shocked to see that it was among the "stay out of" places. Certainly there are bad parts but, there are some very nice parts toward Russell and Blandford. I definitely wouldn't buy in Springfield because of the school system. I'm not a snob (regardless of the narrow comments about Longmeadow) but, private schools are a must in Springfield and I prefer public schools. I cannot believe that anyone would openly blame other races for the problems in Springfield. One word. Drugs. Every race is hooked on them and I know for a fact that it's the preppy white kids as well. Also, the Springfield police are amazing. I am forever disappointed to hear anyone bash the police anywhere. No one complains when the officer is saving their life, not to mention risking his or her own. I know many on the force and am always ashamed of trash talking civilians. That said, there is pride in all of the places that have been downed in these threads. Springfield, Holyoke and Chicopee. I think it's shameful to not think of the feelings of others and to me, represents a problem prevelant to humanity. I wish everyone luck with wherever you are! And, remember to think about the families that are waiting for their loved one on the force to come safely and happily home to them. Especially in tough places.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:52 PM

16 posts, read 70,421 times
If you are looking for good schools Longmeadow schools are the best in Western Mass. East Longmeadow and Wilbraham are also good and are very nice towns with larger lots than Longmeadow. These towns are expensive because the schools ARE good. Longmeadow is a great location - easy access to I91 and the airport and Hartford. There is a Newcomers Club and a Garden Club that takes care of several garden spots around the town.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:30 PM

96 posts, read 454,071 times
There are lots of stories and perceptions in this string, but the FBI statistics came out this week - and I don't mean to be crazy by throwing facts into this conversation, but Springfield's crime rate came down by double-digits while other New England cities like Hartford and Worcester (and the country as a whole) were going up, up, up.

Double-digit reduction in crime while everywhere else is going up. Good work by Springfields Police Dept.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Facts

Thanks for keeping it factual! Springfield PD works hard.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:53 AM

5 posts, read 16,408 times
Springfield will never have possitive growth. Even with the new Basketball Hall of Fame, it's pittiful. I'm too scared to get out of the car to shop, eat, etc....and I grew up in Queens, NY...lol...

Old 06-08-2007, 04:55 AM

Move to Southwick/Granville area...because even Westfield is getting a little rough around the edges...closer to CT. shopping....you won't get mugged while squeezing the melons...lol but your still in Ma. "away from it all"

Old 06-08-2007, 04:57 AM

I heard from Police officers in the area Westfield is having some major issues with "GANGS"....not good.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:35 PM

96 posts, read 454,071 times
I heard Southwick and Granville are hotbeds for drug dealers and random murders....just what I heard, though.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Commute

I haven't heard that at all. I think the only negatives for those two is the commute to anywhere. They're kind of away with no quick access to I91 or the Pike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts