Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,059 times

Advertisements

My husband will be graduating from his Master's Program in Applied Mathematics in the spring. We currently live in Arizona, but both would like to relocate to a nicer part of the States, particularly Massachusetts or in the greater New England area. Are there any companies or jobs that he can start looking at and/or applying for that hire math majors? We'd like to start a family in the next 5 years so are looking for a place to settle down in and call home. Education is a very deciding factor for this as the education systems are absolutely horrendous in the Southwest and along the west coast. Plus, I've always had this desire to live in New England, as my grandmother is from Maine and says she wishes she could go back there everyday.

Any suggestions for jobs? I am doing an undergrad degree currently but am taking some time off so my husband's job is going to be where our income comes from mostly. I'm guessing that many jobs are in the Boston area, but being out of state greatly limits my knowledge of the surrounding areas. There is only so much I can research on the internet.

On a side note, where would be the best area to live for commute? We would not be investing in a house, more looking for an apartment for right now. As a comparison, our current apartment for a 1 bed 1 bath is $720 per month with water included. Our electric bill is separate, but that is generally around $80-90 I'd say with summer weather being the most expensive and winters being pretty mild. We also live quite close to ASU so it makes living a little more expensive than if we lived farther away.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 02:05 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I just arrived in Arizona last month. I am from Mass. As far as jobs yes the main concentration would be in Greater Boston. I don't know what the job prospects would be currently though. The opportunities for jobs related to Education, Medicine, Insurance, Banking Finance certainly are in large numbers in the Boston region. The Boston area is quite large and really encompasses much of Eastern Mass, and then all the way to the border communities of Southern NH and Northern RI. I'm from 30 miles south of Boston and right between there and Providence RI. There are so many suburbs/exurbs and towns that make up the area. Most with thier own small downtown, that I could never count all of them. Personally I think the area has gotten very crowded. Still its New England and still has the charm, but in much of Eastern Mass you have to contend with crowds.

Now the high COL. There is no way around it. It is extremely high as in Calif high in many ways. You also have to add in much of the housing is old, and when winter comes around that old house may be hard to heat. Finding something to rent for the rent your paying now, would be next to impossible to find in much of Eastern Mass. If you did it would be small and older and in someone's house, and most likely you would pay for your own heat. If the miracle came about that you did find something at that rate, it would be in a not so great region. You would have to go quite away out from Greater Boston to find rent like that also. Perhaps if you went into the Worcester area Central Mass and then on towards Western Mass. You might find something but again it would be very limited, and perhaps not to your liking. Rents in Mass are just really high and its always been that way.

You will have alot of transit in much of Eastern Mass which makes it nice but again the cost of it.

So if you can swing Eastern Mass I think its a great place to live. So much to see and do and with so many states within a short drive of each other. Then there is always something different to do and see. From the beaches of Cape Cod and Rhode Island to Rocky shores and mountains of Maine, NH and Vt. Tons of locally owned restaurants especially Italian and seafood. Quaint towns to walk around in and shop in the little shops. I'm making myself homesick writing this because Phoenix is more of an adjustment than I planned on.

So really plan this out if you do this. I think if you want to keep your costs lower and live in Mass. Then I would stick with Central Mass because you won't find it in Boston or Eastern Mass. that is until the good job comes up that gives you a salary to live in the Boston area. Then by all means get your self a place in that area.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I just arrived in Arizona last month. I am from Mass. As far as jobs yes the main concentration would be in Greater Boston. I don't know what the job prospects would be currently though. The opportunities for jobs related to Education, Medicine, Insurance, Banking Finance certainly are in large numbers in the Boston region. The Boston area is quite large and really encompasses much of Eastern Mass, and then all the way to the border communities of Southern NH and Northern RI. I'm from 30 miles south of Boston and right between there and Providence RI. There are so many suburbs/exurbs and towns that make up the area. Most with thier own small downtown, that I could never count all of them. Personally I think the area has gotten very crowded. Still its New England and still has the charm, but in much of Eastern Mass you have to contend with crowds.

Now the high COL. There is no way around it. It is extremely high as in Calif high in many ways. You also have to add in much of the housing is old, and when winter comes around that old house may be hard to heat. Finding something to rent for the rent your paying now, would be next to impossible to find in much of Eastern Mass. If you did it would be small and older and in someone's house, and most likely you would pay for your own heat. If the miracle came about that you did find something at that rate, it would be in a not so great region. You would have to go quite away out from Greater Boston to find rent like that also. Perhaps if you went into the Worcester area Central Mass and then on towards Western Mass. You might find something but again it would be very limited, and perhaps not to your liking. Rents in Mass are just really high and its always been that way.

You will have alot of transit in much of Eastern Mass which makes it nice but again the cost of it.

So if you can swing Eastern Mass I think its a great place to live. So much to see and do and with so many states within a short drive of each other. Then there is always something different to do and see. From the beaches of Cape Cod and Rhode Island to Rocky shores and mountains of Maine, NH and Vt. Tons of locally owned restaurants especially Italian and seafood. Quaint towns to walk around in and shop in the little shops. I'm making myself homesick writing this because Phoenix is more of an adjustment than I planned on.

So really plan this out if you do this. I think if you want to keep your costs lower and live in Mass. Then I would stick with Central Mass because you won't find it in Boston or Eastern Mass. that is until the good job comes up that gives you a salary to live in the Boston area. Then by all means get your self a place in that area.
Great advice Jimrob1! To the OP: I was going to suggest the Worcester area as well. While the majority of those types of jobs are around the Boston area they also can be found in central and western mass. I myself grew up in Western Mass and attended school in Amherst. I noticed that you mentioned Phoenix has been more of an adjustment than you planned on. When I moved here 14 years ago it honestly took me two years to adjust to life in the desert. For some, like myself, the adjustment happens, but I've witnessed many who came here and left shortly thereafter because it wasn't the change they thought it would be.

Hang in there and hopefully your venture will end up like mine. If not, and you get too homesick, MA is always waiting. However, I would wait and experience our winter before making any decisions...it could be a game-changer!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I think, without question, the job comes first, then figure out the best place to live. Best wishes on your move.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Great advice Jimrob1! To the OP: I was going to suggest the Worcester area as well. While the majority of those types of jobs are around the Boston area they also can be found in central and western mass. I myself grew up in Western Mass and attended school in Amherst. I noticed that you mentioned Phoenix has been more of an adjustment than you planned on. When I moved here 14 years ago it honestly took me two years to adjust to life in the desert. For some, like myself, the adjustment happens, but I've witnessed many who came here and left shortly thereafter because it wasn't the change they thought it would be.

Hang in there and hopefully your venture will end up like mine. If not, and you get too homesick, MA is always waiting. However, I would wait and experience our winter before making any decisions...it could be a game-changer!
Ok I will hang around thru the winter and thru the Spring and Summer also. I took a years lease it ends August 31, 2013. So I have quite awhile to look around and adjust. Thanks.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Ok I will hang around thru the winter and thru the Spring and Summer also. I took a years lease it ends August 31, 2013. So I have quite awhile to look around and adjust. Thanks.
Your lease ends in August? Uh oh! In July and August most of us want to relocate!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts