Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:27 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,942 times

Advertisements

However I don't see a problem with eating meat or hunting wild animals legally as long as the kill is clean, the meat eaten or donated to a shelter. It is perfectly natural for homo sapiens to be omnivores. And our bodies need the creatine that meat provides and it can't be sourced from plants.[/quote]

The problem with this is that so much hunting is just for sport, the animal is not eaten or donated, and animals are injured.

So, have fun hunters, teaching your kids what a blast it is to shoot animals, and make sure you don't shoot yourselves or them by accident. Meanwhile, I'm staying out of NH! Thanks for the warning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 08:31 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
You're probably best off considering something close to the Boston area, and well away from anything resembling rural or even suburban living. The occasional deer or moose that somehow finds it's way into the city will be taken care of by the police and not by those fat hunters... I haven't seen any deer strapped to hoods in the city (people maybe, but not deer)

Don't consider NH either, we don't even have gun laws like Massachusetts to "protect" our citizens from themselves, so you never know WHO's going to be carrying, or when. Scary, isn't it
Why are hunters being called fat in this thread? Stereotype much? Or maybe you're just a very skinny person.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:35 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
I didn't get that either miu... I just thought it was kind of funny and perpetuated it in my post. I've actually seen very few fat hunters... There is alot of tracking and hiking well before hunting season (to find game trails, etc), spending hours in the cold damp rain or snow. It's not like you park your big ole' pickup truck on the side of the road, or go tearing through the woods and start blasting at anything that moves from the driver's seat.

I think it's probably just a stereotyping thing, you know, the fat hunters sitting around a lodge, drinking much beer and going out to hunt half in the bag themselves. I mean, I'm sure that happens, but it's certainly not typical.

There IS a type of hunting that I very much disapprove of (and EVERY hunter I know does as well.) Have you heard of the "Internet Hunt"? It's sort of a "remote controlled" hunt. You use a mouse to fire a weapon that is mounted on a mechanized tripod at a remote location, usually a game ranch where exotic animals are kept penned and shot at close range. The customer signs up through a web site, and pays a user fee and a deposit for the animal that he or she wishes to kill. The animal is lured to a feeding station within range of the mounted rifle. When the animal approaches, the desktop hunter uses the computer mouse to line up the cross hairs and fire the rifle. Guides at the game ranch will finish the job if the shot misses. Trophy mounts are prepared at the ranch and shipped to the customer. Now THAT is something to be complaining about!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:18 AM

1,396 posts, read 3,442,847 times
Thumbs down Don't give him the pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post

The problem with this is that so much hunting is just for sport, the animal is not eaten or donated, and animals are injured.
Where did you read this problem? All hunters enjoy the sport and consume their game. I see it as a figment of your biased imagination. IMO, your a troll! Starting a thread with little true knowledge on the subject matter only to create flaming and defensive replies for your entertainment.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:23 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,942 times
How do you know that ALL hunters consume their game? I think YOU are hallucinating. I'm not entertained by this. I'm saddened, because I love being in nature and rural areas, but I'm stuck living near an ugly city so I don't have to see or hear hunters. I'm not looking for this kind of fun. It's painful.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:47 PM

45 posts, read 180,926 times
Quote:
How do you know that ALL hunters consume their game? I think YOU are hallucinating. I'm not entertained by this. I'm saddened, because I love being in nature and rural areas, but I'm stuck living near an ugly city so I don't have to see or hear hunters. I'm not looking for this kind of fun. It's painful.
How many times have you seen a hunter leave their kill without eating the meat?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:10 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,442,847 times
Quote:
Ok, I apologize for my failure to thoroughly read all your replies. I've hunted and fished the Commonwealth for 25 years and I've never heard of hunters kill for the sake of killing. Criminals kill for the sake of killing.

There are no-hunt towns in the metro-west area that you should look into if you dis-like the city so much. I don't know off hand but the internet should help you. Please seek some consoling, don't let it eat you away. I've lost a dear adult brother to depression, it surfaced out of the blue, hereditary they say and I don't wish it on anyone including you. Good day.

Last edited by MinuteMan; 10-12-2007 at 03:40 PM..

Old 10-12-2007, 06:14 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
I've been reading the posts on the Vermont site and a lot of people mention hunting, and seeing deer strapped to cars in front of convenience stores.
Are any areas in MA like that? Specifically, Amherst/Northamton, or the Cape? I know there is hunting allowed (or there used to be) at the National Seashore. Is this a prevalent site in parts of MA? I'd like to move to MA but don't want an area where hunting is so commonplace. Thanks.

Quote:

So, have fun hunters, teaching your kids what a blast it is to shoot animals, and make sure you don't shoot yourselves or them by accident. Meanwhile, I'm staying out of NH! Thanks for the warning!
You are making A LOT of ASSumptions here. First, if you are seeing dead deer strapped to cars... that means that the hunter is taking it home to be eaten. Secondly, I do know a few hunters and they do not paint their faces and whoop it up while running through the forest looking for deer to shoot up. If they did that, they would never find any deer to shoot. Hunting is quite a serious affair requiring stealth, patience and knowledge of your intended prey's habits.

I really think that you are winding yourself up into a tizzy unnecessarily about how you think people hunt for deer and other game. It's not as if you have any first hand experience even accompanying a group of hunters. BTW my stepdad's family all used to hunt. It was especially important to his grandparents that lived in the Big Sur area of CA before Highway 1 was built. What they hunted was dinner.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:44 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,406 times
Quote:
However I don't see a problem with eating meat or hunting wild animals legally as long as the kill is clean, the meat eaten or donated to a shelter. It is perfectly natural for homo sapiens to be omnivores. And our bodies need the creatine that meat provides and it can't be sourced from plants.

So, have fun hunters, teaching your kids what a blast it is to shoot animals, and make sure you don't shoot yourselves or them by accident. Meanwhile, I'm staying out of NH! Thanks for the warning![/quote]

Better stay out of Vermont too. You don't even need a concealed carry permit for a handgun here. Having grown up in NYC, lived in NH for seven years, Alaska for over twenty, I have found that Vermont by far has been the safest place to be. It's not so much the guns that are the problem, it's the people who live in certain places. All the legislation and laws in the world will never stop guns from getting into the hands of people who will abuse them.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:05 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Many animals suffer prolonged, painful deaths when they are injured but not killed by hunters.
Virtually all animals suffer prolonged painful deaths when they die by natural causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts