Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 06:20 AM

5 posts, read 10,422 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a house in the south end of Newburyport on a side street fairly close to the treatment plant. Didnt notice the plant until i did more research. It appears that in the past there has been complaints of odor coming from the plant. My questions, does anyone have any info on this, perhaps live in the area to give some advice? It seems that there are million dollar house in the vicinity as well as many houses being rehab'd that it would appear that if it was a real issue then people wouldnt be buying these houses and they would have a bad reputation. Also I see that the plant is being rebuilt, does anyone know when that will be completed. Any advice would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 12:17 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
I'm not a resident, much less a native, of Newburyport so could be completely off the mark here. But the only water treatment plant that I know of in the city is not on the south side but along the river. (Part of the view from the place I like to stay includes it, so guests learn quickly to not look in one direction!) That plant can be noisy at times but doesn't give off much of an odor to speak of. Last summer work got started to upgrade the facility still further, which promises to remedy the sounds and smells still more. A fairly safe assumption to make would be that if the funding came through for the work at that plant it was also allocated toward improving any other(s) that might be in town.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:56 AM

Unfortunately Its on water street in the south end next to joppa. Its a waste water treatment plant. They just finished the 1st phase of remoldeling, the 2nd phase is starting now. Im just curious if any neighbors could smell odor and how bad?

Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 PM

Then you've seen the place I like to stay, at 167 Water St, a row house with a small red "B & B" sign in front. The treatment plant is that which I posted about last time. Young children in an adjoining house have a full set of playground equipment in their back yard (also "scenically overlooking" the plant) and in good weather they're outside happily playing all the time. I bring this up 'cause I know full well how we grown-ups can sometimes "brush off" odors and noises when nothing can be done about them. Kids haven't acquired that instinct yet so will think nothing of saying "Ewwww, we're not going out there today, it stinks!"
I wouldn't pass on a home purchase based on the water treatment plant alone. But Water St gets a noticeable amount of traffic at all hours, and that along with little or no front yard for the houses (at least up to the 200 block) would hold me back from buying a place there. The weather we're experiencing as I write also makes me wonder how well the properties along there will withstand the storm, particularly in terms of flooding.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 PM

The house we are considering is up one of the side streets not on water st. The owners say they don't notice any odor, but they probably wouldn't tell me. The place has a great yard. I never noticed any odor when I had been there.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 PM

The people who run the B & B are longtime residents and very friendly. (If they weren't friendly they'd have no business being innkeepers, eh?) Since they're in town full-time from May through December they'd be a great - and reliable - source for all info you could ask for about the water treatment plant. It hasn't affected their successful operations BUT they may have had to placate an aggravated guest here and there. Not only that, if you're not from the local area (North Shore of MA, or NH Seacoast) - or even if you are - they'd obviously be glad to host you overnight. Ask for the "Sorrento Room" if you decide to stay there because that's the one facing the river.
So that I don't get this post deleted for "advertising:" You can reach Anne and Chuck by e-mail via the B & B's Website, which is simply the number and street name (not including "street") dot com. They're on the premises most of the time during the day every day, if you're "in the neighborhood" and want to stop by. I've spent several getaway weekends with them over the years and they say one of their largest categories of visitor is "prospective tenants or home buyers."

Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM

I will. Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts