U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 AM

8 posts, read 11,717 times

Advertisements

Hey I will be moving to the Boston area to work in Danvers. I would love to be somewhere in between there and Boston as I don't know anyone there and would like to be able to "the city" fairly easily. I will be there next week and have gone nuts looking for an apartment. Questions:

1. How is the commute heading North to Danvers?
2. How are the towns in between like Lynn, Malden, Revere, etc.
3. Is Chelsea nice and would YOU consider it too far due to distance and/or traffic
4. I am coming from TX though originally from NY so I am familiar with the weather a bit, how important, again to you, is a garage and is it worth the extra $$ (SNOW)

Thanks all! Looking forward to the move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 AM

1,957 posts, read 3,964,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsalta View Post
Hey I will be moving to the Boston area to work in Danvers. I would love to be somewhere in between there and Boston as I don't know anyone there and would like to be able to "the city" fairly easily. I will be there next week and have gone nuts looking for an apartment. Questions:

Quote:
1. How is the commute heading North to Danvers?
Slow but you won't be going far

Quote:
2. How are the towns in between like Lynn, Malden, Revere, etc.
Not a fan of any of them. Lynn does have a descent side but the rest of the city wrecks it for me.

Quote:
3. Is Chelsea nice and would YOU consider it too far due to distance and/or traffic
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
4. I am coming from TX though originally from NY so I am familiar with the weather a bit, how important, again to you, is a garage and is it worth the extra $$ (SNOW)
I've gone without my whole life and done just fine.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 AM

So then Chelea is out?

Thanks for your responses.

Any ideas then for a town that would serve a decent commute to work and still be accessible to Boston?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 AM

2,584 posts, read 5,488,187 times
I'll second everything snatle1 says.

I'll add Danvers isn't far from "the city". If we're talking about heading in nights/weekends, you're looking at maybe a 30-35 minute drive.

Salem might be another way to go. The commute to Danvers would be easy, even bikeable, and Salem has decent nightlife.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 AM

I have been looking at both Danvers and Salem but was hoping to be just a bit closer. I do have a few places there that will be my last places to see if I dont find something that could keep me within a 15-20 minute drive to both work and Boston. From what I am seeing though it seems that those neighborhoods in between are very hit or miss.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsalta View Post
From what I am seeing though it seems that those neighborhoods in between are very hit or miss.
Yes. I'm originally from that side, of Boston and know the area pretty well. Personally if I couldn't be in Boston itself, I'd choose Salem. The few bright spots in between just aren't worth it to shave 10-15 minutes off the occasional trip in town IMO.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:18 PM

9 posts, read 14,136 times
20 minute ride from Melrose, Stoneham, Wakefield and Saugus. All are nice places to live with little crime and close to everything. That's the reasonable north shore IMO as far as location to Boston with low crime and reasonable prices.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:22 PM

Thanks KCM I have been looking into Melrose and Saugus as well. Nice to know that those areas are better than others.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:25 PM

Just checking on Lynnfield, anyone care to say a few words?

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 AM

What's your situation? I'm guessing single and young(ish)?

If so, Saugus and Lynnfield will bore you to tears. Nice towns if you have a family, but I'd never recommend them for a single person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts