U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 02:54 PM

120 posts, read 231,722 times

Advertisements

We are former MA residents (north-central) but have been living in coastal NC for 3 years. It looks like we may be moving back to MA and are interested in areas to house hunt in relatively close proximity to Cape Cod Hospital. We are not very familiar with any of these towns, although I have been reading many threads on this forum, some being very out of date. Our ages are 44 & 55, no children at home, looking to purchase with a max price of $400K. We are not looking for nightlife, but also don't want to live where the sidewalks roll up at 5pm. We live to visit restaurants (chains & mom-n-pops), and want shopping to be close by. Where should we start looking?

What is the practical commute time if we chose to live in Sandwich? What do Sandwich residents do about trash pick-up besides a private contractor? Are there really water problems/cancer clusters in this area?

How expensive is homeowners insurance for CC residents?

Are there any beachy areas that would detract from a home's appeal (i.e. dirty, shady characters, etc.)?

I know my questions are all over the place , but I appreciate any & all input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 PM

2,020 posts, read 4,964,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudy68 View Post
We are former MA residents (north-central) but have been living in coastal NC for 3 years. It looks like we may be moving back to MA and are interested in areas to house hunt in relatively close proximity to Cape Cod Hospital. We are not very familiar with any of these towns, although I have been reading many threads on this forum, some being very out of date. Our ages are 44 & 55, no children at home, looking to purchase with a max price of $400K. We are not looking for nightlife, but also don't want to live where the sidewalks roll up at 5pm. We live to visit restaurants (chains & mom-n-pops), and want shopping to be close by. Where should we start looking?

What is the practical commute time if we chose to live in Sandwich? What do Sandwich residents do about trash pick-up besides a private contractor? Are there really water problems/cancer clusters in this area?

How expensive is homeowners insurance for CC residents?

Are there any beachy areas that would detract from a home's appeal (i.e. dirty, shady characters, etc.)?

I know my questions are all over the place , but I appreciate any & all input!
Commute time from Sandwich would depend on where in Sandwich you live. If you live in East Sandwich, it's going to be less time than downtown Sandwich or parts of Forestdale. Sidewalks do roll up early in Sandwich but if you live out by West Barnstable it is an easy trip to Hyannis where you will find many restaurants and shopping. Trash disposal is no big deal. My husband drops it at the landfill when convenient.

That having been said, I would not suggest you look in Sandwich. People who like Sandwich like it because it is the antithesis of all that you described. No chain anything (well Bobby Byrnes and BBC but they are small, local chains) and the only retail other than mom and pops are the supermarkets. You will also pay a little more to be in the area closest to Hyannis and the taxes are higher in Sandwich than anywhere else on Cape. It's a great place to raise kids but since you aren't looking for kid friendly, you money will go further elsewhere.

You might want to consider towns in Barnstable. I would look at Centerville, West Barnstable and Barnstable Village. All would give an easy commute to CC Hospital and easy access to Hyannis. Centerville is a good location because it does give you easier access to Falmouth as well but you don't have to fight 28 in summer to get to the hospital. Parts of Yarmouth right off of 6A are nice too.

There really aren't any beachy areas that detract on Cape. Some towns are definitely more summer honky tonk but if you live near or on the water, you pay a premium. Homeowners insurance depends on how close to the water you are. If you are in a flood or wind zone, you will pay more. Off Cape I paid less for insurance but that was also before the tornadoes ravaged the western part of the state. Anytime there is a large scale disaster, premiums go up all over so I can't say that our insurance is higher just because we are on Cape.

The good news is car insurance is cheaper on Cape than off but I"m fairly certain it won't be as inexpensive as it is in NC. Gas will shock you as will prices for electricity. Cape Cod has the highest electricity rates in the US outside of Hawaii. We were in SC last week where gas was about $3 per gallon. Today in Sandwich I paid $3.85.

Good luck with your move. I am sure others will chime in with some more suggestions.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:12 PM

120 posts, read 231,722 times
Thanks Beachcomber.

Here in NC, our gas is about $3.40.

Our car insurance is no cheaper than when we left MA, mainly due to the fact that Wilmington, NC has horrendous drivers, so we all have to pay much higher rates than the rest of the state.

When we lived in MA, we had Unitil for electric and they were also outrageous. According to this, www . wind-watch . org/news/2012/06/15/princeton-municipal-light-department-most-expensive-in-massachusetts/ the most expensive in MA is now Princeton, having very recently overtaken Unitil. I'm sure your rates are still up there, though.

I will take your info into consideration regarding Sandwich. Also, after posting this original thread, i did some more research on Otis & cancer clusters, and I think I am going to be very careful whre I search. It seems like most properties in that general section of the Cape have private water and sewerage, though some do have public water. I'll be leary of buying a property that has a private water source, now.

Again, thanks for the great reply. I see you on these threads a lot, so I know you care about the Cape. Nice to see.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM

20,476 posts, read 13,429,345 times
Hello
Why Sandwich? The center of the Cape for commerce and restaraunts is Hyannis. I live in Brewster and own a real estate company here so considering your price range you should be able to find a nice property on the mid Cape. As you head "out to sea" towards Chatham and up the "arm" the prices do tend to go up.
Gas prices do bug me, why do we pay $3.83 here, when off Cape, South Shore can be 30 cents less per gallon?
Cape Cod can be slow and quiet in the Winter and really busy in the Summer but we do get to enjoy the shoulder seasons where the weather is nice and it is not as crowded. Plus the Winter is usually milder with less snow and not as cold than the rest of the state. For year round activity I would suggest the Hyannis area.
For referance from Brewster we are 20 minutes from Hyannis and 40 minutes from the bridge depending on traffic of course.
Good luck and feel free to contact me for RE advice.
Todd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts