Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 04:01 PM

14 posts, read 19,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
"But what would be very uncomfortable for most people is to have a huge block of one particular different race, culture or religion moving into a neighborhood in a clump and trying to form a mini city of their home nation."...

If a huge "clump" of Swedes or Austrians moved into Quincy, I bet, aside from some snickering jokes here or there, there wont be much of a fuss from the "old timers". So why such a fuss with the Chinese? My point is that there certainly is racism, especially with the old and ignorant crowd (white trash). The situation is all the more ridiculous because the Chinese generally improve Quincy because they work harder, commit less crime, and do better at schools.

The tide of Chinese arriving in Quincy wont turn just because some barely literate old-timer and his knuckle-dragging son don't like it.

I don't think you're understanding the concept... ehh.. Let me explain. Hordes of Swedish immigrants and Irish Bostonians(since the most predominant ethnicity in Boston is Irish) share the same root(European). Over thousands of years, European kingdoms/societies have been interacting and mixing constantly. On the other hand, East Asia was a hermit empire(China basically closed its door and blocked out the world) most of the time so their 'premise' is that Europeans Americans and Chinese from Asia don't share much of anything which kinda has a point. (I grew up in 3 different countries and 12 different towns/cities so I think I know what I'm talking about).

Old 04-03-2015, 04:33 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreanGuy View Post
I don't think you're understanding the concept... ehh.. Let me explain. Hordes of Swedish immigrants and Irish Bostonians(since the most predominant ethnicity in Boston is Irish) share the same root(European). Over thousands of years, European kingdoms/societies have been interacting and mixing constantly. On the other hand, East Asia was a hermit empire(China basically closed its door and blocked out the world) most of the time so their 'premise' is that Europeans Americans and Chinese from Asia don't share much of anything which kinda has a point. (I grew up in 3 different countries and 12 different towns/cities so I think I know what I'm talking about).
No you don't. If you think China is some sort of "hermit" empire, then you know diddly squat about Chinese history. Just because you grew up in however many countries does not make you an expert in Chinese history. Just the idea that China can somehow "close its doors" is a preposterous idea, given China's long and complex history of interactions with Central Asia, South Asia and even farther afield. And if you think the Swedes and the Irish had any sort of "constant mixing for thousands of years", then you also know squat about European history.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
No you don't. If you think China is some sort of "hermit" empire, then you know diddly squat about Chinese history. Just because you grew up in however many countries does not make you an expert in Chinese history. Just the idea that China can somehow "close its doors" is a preposterous idea, given China's long and complex history of interactions with Central Asia, South Asia and even farther afield. And if you think the Swedes and the Irish had any sort of "constant mixing for thousands of years", then you also know squat about European history.
China was in a way a hermit kingdom to the rest of the world especially during the colonial era. China had many interactions with Korea and Japan and Mongol. But I'm talking about people interraction between Europeans and Chiense(not including people in Western China since they were never culturally chinese and they themselves see them as different people than Chinese and they don't even look Chinese lolol.) China did some 'trading' with Europe but it's not like China and Europe had common empires or huge mixing(except Genghis Khan but he was NOT Chinese in any way). Maybe you should hit a book or two pennyone.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
But are Americans more racist than Chinese beating and invading Tibetans? That's the real question
That's a pointless and irrelevant question.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
That's a pointless and irrelevant question.

LMAO. so you deny that China's been trying to invade Tibet for decades by sending cops to beat up monks in Tibet till their skulls break? eh... I feel like you're living under a rock.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma19 View Post
I want to preface this by saying that I searched the forums for threads pertaining to Boston and racism, and that the purpose of this post isn't to ask whether the Boston area is racist. Rather, I wish to share my experiences and wonder if anybody else has experienced or observed anything similar.

I was born and raised in an affluent suburb in north-central Connecticut; the town was mostly white, with very few Asian, Black, or Latino residents. Most of my friends from school were white, and although I did face occasional racist remarks and slurs, I would describe the town as pretty open minded for the most part.

After graduating college (also in CT), I moved to Quincy for my job in Boston. I've only lived here for about 10 months, and I've experienced more racist incidents in the past 10 months than in my entire life in Connecticut. There were two incidents that really stood out. One time when I was walking across the street to the T stop, two guys in a pickup truck almost ran me down in the crosswalk, and as they drove by shouted, "go back to China you ch**k!" In another incident, I was picking up take-out and a few white men in their 30s were hanging out in front of one of the bars on the street. As I walked by one of them spat on the ground near my feet and muttered "f**king g**k" when I turned and asked "what the f**k did you say?" he came at me with his hand in his pocket like he was reaching for something, and said, "get out of here before I stab you, you f**king ch**k". And another time I was hanging out with one of my friends from work (he's white) who also lives in Quincy, and we wanted to head out to one of the local bars. As we were brainstorming ideas, he mentioned a place (it's name escapes me at the moment) but then said, "oh, actually nevermind, they don't allow Asian people in there". I thought he was joking and laughed, but he said, "I'm serious. We can't go there, they won't let you in". I was dumbfounded--I thought this was illegal. These are just among the bigger racial incidents that stood out.

What is surprising to me is the level of racism in Quincy against Asians, especially since Asians make up such a huge portion of the city population (something I didn't know until I moved here). Furthermore, when I'm in Boston itself (financial district, back bay, downtown areas) I feel pretty safe and accepted. I've also been to Cambridge to hang out a few times and I didn't feel any racial tension there either.

Anyway, those are my experiences, I just wanted to get that off my chest and am wondering if anybody else has seen or experienced anything like what I wrote about?

Honestly I feel like that's what happens to countries facing a threat to their established cultural identity. For example, Japan has many anti immigration organizations/movements even though immigrant population rate is less than 1%. In Korea, there have been many incidents where Koreans beat up foreigners/immigrants even though immigrant population rate is also very low. AS a guy who's been living in 3 different countries for years, I would say Boston seems very civil and open to diversity RELATIVELY compared to Asian/Arab countries.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
China was in a way a hermit kingdom to the rest of the world especially during the colonial era. China had many interactions with Korea and Japan and Mongol. But I'm talking about people interraction between Europeans and Chiense(not including people in Western China since they were never culturally chinese and they themselves see them else different people than Chinese and they don't even look Chinese lolol.) China did some 'trading' with Europe but it's not like China and Europe had common empires or huge mixing(except Genghis Khan but he was NOT Chinese in any way). Maybe you should hit a book or two pennyone.
No perhaps you should. First, China's history is far longer than just the "colonial era", and if that is the standard for your "history", then you don't really know the definition of the word. China's culture is complex and regional, and heavily influenced by their interactions with many non-Chinese cultures surrounding the Chinese core. This has been happening since the Han dynasty. China in no way can be a "hermit" in any shape or form, and any idiot with two functioning eyes who can see this on a map. Your proposition that the "hermit" Chinese culture is at the root of racism in Quincy is just laughable. Sure there are cultural differences between the Irish and the Chinese, but there were also huge racism directly against the Irish from the the English and German. Yet these Europeans, like you stated, had "thousands of years of mixing." Give it a rest.

Quincy is getting better everyday. I am looking forward to the complete renovation of the intersection around NQHS and this is just one of many big projects that is taking place around the city. Average home prices in Quincy is very healthy and is now higher than Braintree and vastly outpacing Weymouth, and Quincy's crime rate is still extremely low. For a working class city with a huge immigrant population, Quincy is doing just fine.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
LMAO. so you deny that China's been trying to invade Tibet for decades by sending cops to beat up monks in Tibet till their skulls break? eh... I feel like you're living under a rock.
You need to stop drinking the tibetnik kool-aid and get your face out of those falun gong practice manuals. China's policies in Tibet, Xinjiang and elsewhere are horrific, but your opinion about them are irrelevant to the topic of this thread. You also need to read more closely because my previous short response to your poor attempt at a joke did not include any word that can be associated with the verb to deny.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
No perhaps you should. First, China's history is far longer than just the "colonial era", and if that is the standard for your "history", then you don't really know the definition of the word. China's culture is complex and regional, and heavily influenced by their interactions with many non-Chinese cultures surrounding the Chinese core. This has been happening since the Han dynasty. China in no way can be a "hermit" in any shape or form, and any idiot with two functioning eyes who can see this on a map. Your proposition that the "hermit" Chinese culture is at the root of racism in Quincy is just laughable. Sure there are cultural differences between the Irish and the Chinese, but there were also huge racism directly against the Irish from the the English and German. Yet these Europeans, like you stated, had "thousands of years of mixing." Give it a rest.

Quincy is getting better everyday. I am looking forward to the complete renovation of the intersection around NQHS and this is just one of many big projects that is taking place around the city. Average home prices in Quincy is very healthy and is now higher than Braintree and vastly outpacing Weymouth, and Quincy's crime rate is still extremely low. For a working class city with a huge immigrant population, Quincy is doing just fine.
haha dyslexic much? The OP wrote that Bostonians would be more distant and hostile to Chinese immigrants than European immigrants and my 'historical' reason was based on the last 200 years of the European-East Asian relation because that was the latest historical context and obviously the 'ancient times' like a thousand years ago wouldn't really affect the psychology behind those 'incidents' at all. Also, China(and East Asia) NEVER had any significant mixing or invasion with Europe(ex. British colonization of India was a good example of mixing and a lot of Indians have European blood in them and Hindi language is actually considered a European language by most scholars. On the other hand, small 'battles' may have happened like Opium Wars but it never led to colonization or significant mixing) and if you're still gonna deny that, give me 'one' example of significant mixing or invasion between China and Europe. JUST ONE EXAMPLE PLEASE.... but I'm pretty sure you'll 'dodge' this question

ALso I NEVER said China being the hermit kingdom was the root of racism in Boston. I just said Europeans and Chinese don't have much in common compared to European - European because historically there was no major mixing or invasion or other forms of mixing between China and Europe.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
haha dyslexic much? The OP wrote that Bostonians would be more distant and hostile to Chinese immigrants than European immigrants and my 'historical' reason was based on the last 200 years of the European-East Asian relation because that was the latest historical context and obviously the 'ancient times' like a thousand years ago wouldn't really affect the psychology behind those 'incidents' at all. Also, China(and East Asia) NEVER had any significant mixing or invasion with Europe(ex. British colonization of India was a good example of mixing and a lot of Indians have European blood in them and Hindi language is actually considered a European language by most scholars. On the other hand, small 'battles' may have happened like Opium Wars but it never led to colonization or significant mixing) and if you're still gonna deny that, give me 'one' example of significant mixing or invasion between China and Europe. JUST ONE EXAMPLE PLEASE.... but I'm pretty sure you'll 'dodge' this question
You should read Eric Dolin's book How America First Met China to get your answer.

And the conversation had moved from Boston to Quincy, which is far smaller and much more parochial than Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts