Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 AM

395 posts, read 705,498 times

Advertisements

It won't matter in about 600 hundred years. We all gonna be brown or yellow. The studies show that.

If people yell racial profanities at my ethnic friends I just hold up a picture of what their future descendants will look like:

Say hello to your unborn great great grandson.....

don't hate the player....hate the game

if ppl are upset that their are not jobs, they can move to indonesia and work for 0.50 per hour making nike shoes. there's plenty of jobs for ppl over there.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 AM

395 posts, read 705,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma19 View Post
I want to preface this by saying that I searched the forums for threads pertaining to Boston and racism, and that the purpose of this post isn't to ask whether the Boston area is racist. Rather, I wish to share my experiences and wonder if anybody else has experienced or observed anything similar.

I was born and raised in an affluent suburb in north-central Connecticut; the town was mostly white, with very few Asian, Black, or Latino residents. Most of my friends from school were white, and although I did face occasional racist remarks and slurs, I would describe the town as pretty open minded for the most part.

After graduating college (also in CT), I moved to Quincy for my job in Boston. I've only lived here for about 10 months, and I've experienced more racist incidents in the past 10 months than in my entire life in Connecticut. There were two incidents that really stood out. One time when I was walking across the street to the T stop, two guys in a pickup truck almost ran me down in the crosswalk, and as they drove by shouted, "go back to China you ch**k!" In another incident, I was picking up take-out and a few white men in their 30s were hanging out in front of one of the bars on the street. As I walked by one of them spat on the ground near my feet and muttered "f**king g**k" when I turned and asked "what the f**k did you say?" he came at me with his hand in his pocket like he was reaching for something, and said, "get out of here before I stab you, you f**king ch**k". And another time I was hanging out with one of my friends from work (he's white) who also lives in Quincy, and we wanted to head out to one of the local bars. As we were brainstorming ideas, he mentioned a place (it's name escapes me at the moment) but then said, "oh, actually nevermind, they don't allow Asian people in there". I thought he was joking and laughed, but he said, "I'm serious. We can't go there, they won't let you in". I was dumbfounded--I thought this was illegal. These are just among the bigger racial incidents that stood out.

What is surprising to me is the level of racism in Quincy against Asians, especially since Asians make up such a huge portion of the city population (something I didn't know until I moved here). Furthermore, when I'm in Boston itself (financial district, back bay, downtown areas) I feel pretty safe and accepted. I've also been to Cambridge to hang out a few times and I didn't feel any racial tension there either.

Anyway, those are my experiences, I just wanted to get that off my chest and am wondering if anybody else has seen or experienced anything like what I wrote about?

Get a CWP, carry a magnum. That will show them that you are a full blooded american.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:31 AM

5,774 posts, read 5,062,298 times
I dont see how referring to an poorly educated white person as a "white trash" constitute "reverse racism", especially when...

1) I am white
2) I have openly acknowledged that the term is in referenced to educational and class level
3) I have noted there are plenty of yellow trash, black trash and any other kind of trash etc etc etc. Trash is trash, and they come in all colors and sizes.

Quincy was very nice when there was a strong presence of Jewish population (as noted by the three or even more synagogues that have all now closed) and Swedes (excellent mason artisans who created the beautiful pieces from the granite that this city is famous for). Then, the poor Irish from Southie and Dorchester flooded in because of their fear of busing in the 70's (the better educated ones went to Milton). Their low economic level and their kids' relative lack of focus on academics starved the school system and drove their performance into the ground, and their Catholic presence drove the Jews away to places like Sharon and Wellesley. Now they decry the arrival of the hard working and entrepreneurial Chinese....when they did nothing to enhance the city themselves. At the very least, the Chinese kids improve the schools, and their parents keep the property value up by buying into the city and then paying the real estate taxes to fund it. Quincy should be thanking them instead of this racist BS.

By the way, we went to Burke's a few months back, and ordered fish and chips and some other fares. The food that came out was soggy and very sub par. We will be sticking with JP Seafoods in JP, where they serve the very very best Fish and Chips in the world. The non Asian businesses shouldnt be crying about Asian competition when they are not all that competitive to begin with.

Last edited by pennyone; 11-24-2012 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: forgot to add

Old 11-24-2012, 05:56 AM

374 posts, read 651,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I dont see how referring to an poorly educated white person as a "white trash" constitute "reverse racism", especially when...

1) I am white
2) I have openly acknowledged that the term is in referenced to educational and class level
3) I have noted there are plenty of yellow trash, black trash and any other kind of trash etc etc etc. Trash is trash, and they come in all colors and sizes.

Quincy was very nice when there was a strong presence of Jewish population (as noted by the three or even more synagogues that have all now closed) and Swedes (excellent mason artisans who created the beautiful pieces from the granite that this city is famous for). Then, the poor Irish from Southie and Dorchester flooded in because of their fear of busing in the 70's (the better educated ones went to Milton). Their low economic level and their kids' relative lack of focus on academics starved the school system and drove their performance into the ground, and their Catholic presence drove the Jews away to places like Sharon and Wellesley. Now they decry the arrival of the hard working and entrepreneurial Chinese....when they did nothing to enhance the city themselves. At the very least, the Chinese kids improve the schools, and their parents keep the property value up by buying into the city and then paying the real estate taxes to fund it. Quincy should be thanking them instead of this racist BS.

By the way, we went to Burke's a few months back, and ordered fish and chips and some other fares. The food that came out was soggy and very sub par. We will be sticking with JP Seafoods in JP, where they serve the very very best Fish and Chips in the world. The non Asian businesses shouldnt be crying about Asian competition when they are not all that competitive to begin with.
This sounds like racism.

Do you really think that a person would flee one city for another simply because more people are attending one the pre-existing Catholic churches?

You wrote, "non Asian businesses...are not all that competitive."

You imply that everyone must run from the Irish in response to their horrors.

Many of the people from Dorchester left due to rising levels of crime, substandard medical care, poor school systems, and inadequate public transit. Dorchester has never returned its height as a commuter suburb. Fields corner has never resumed its' massive role as a central marketplace.

Many moved immediately due to busing, but the Irish descendants were already strong in Quincy. Many leapfrogged Quincy and moved into my area.

Bill

Old 11-24-2012, 06:12 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,510,258 times
I just happened on this tread because it showed on the main page and it caught my attention because I like to hear stories of asian-americans who've grown up on the mainland US and compare them to my upbringing. I grew up in Hawaii and hearing all these stories about the racism asians have received on the mainland, I'm so glad I did. I've never really been the victim of overt racism (knock on wood) during my time living mostly in Hawaii but also a few years on the mainland. I mean a couple times I've been called racist names by someone I'm already upset at but nothing too serious, and I usually yell something back to them. I guess I've just been lucky in that respect. Being that Hawaii's culture is a mix of asian, polynesian, white, and many other's, there's really no dominant culture here.

I've never felt my race was anything that could hold me back, in fact many times I felt like it was an asset (ex. applying for jobs). My self-esteem never suffered because of my race (although it did suffer from severe acne in high school, LOL). Even to this day I never feel the need to fit in anywhere, I'm confident in who I am. I'm pretty sure I would have turned out differently had I grown up in a place like the OP. With my personality, I probably would be more angry and want to lash out, and less confident of myself. Well I just wanted to share a little about my life experience.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:12 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,876,898 times
Quote:

1) I am white

It's good to see that you don't think all white people are trash, just the Irish and the Catholics. Luckily Irish-Americans are white or your broad generalizations would be racism (just replace Irish in your rant with any nonwhite group if you don't believe me).

And, for what it's worth, being poor and uneducated does not make a person trash. What an elitest attitude. If anything trash refers to ignorance. Where exactly is the cutoff for being trash, exactly. Is a high school degree enough? What about an associates degree? Maybe a BA would do it? Would somewhere like BC be good enough (being both Irish and Catholic) or does it have to be from an Ivy (or just HYP)? Can a lesser degree be made up for with salary? How much would be needed?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:32 AM

5,774 posts, read 5,062,298 times
How funny that the hordes rush out to defend the Irish Catholics. The fact is very clear, and that is the bulk of those who "escaped" Dorchester and Southie brought with them all of the racist prejudice, warranted or not, with them. When they settled in Quincy, they brought that racism here, and now they spew it against the Asians. This thread is about Asian Americans and their experience with racism in Quincy. My take is harsh, but I live in Quincy, I pay taxes in Quincy and I know all of my neighbors. My statement is grounded in the facts that I see around me, starting with my street on Wollaston Hill. My Chinese neighbors have kids going to college, and they all have jobs, drive nice cars, and have strong family values. My white neighbors, most of them with Irish last names, refuse to speak with "them Asians", but are befuddled with social and economic issues (one just filed for personal bankrupcy, yet they act so snotty with their Chinese neighbors!). Their kids could care less about schools. but they sure love their football and acting tough with their friends! A few are even in trouble with drugs! Why are more than 90% of the petty crimes, from break-in to mugging, committed by whites in Quincy while there is such a huge Asian population? I am not Asian, nor am I Irish, but I call it as I see it. Who do you think I would want as my neighbors?

Trash comes in all colors, and it is due to a lack of education, or emphasis on education. Being trashy unfortunately tends to perpetuate through the generations, and racism, as a manifestation of the larger ignorance that is at the core of that lack of education, is the most immediate expression.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,780,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
White trash is as white trash does. While I am not totally familiar with the social geography of Metro Boston (thought ya'll were supposed to be a bunch of smarties?) , in the end I second those who say it's unfair to tar the whole region and however un-PC it is to admit it really is truly a working class/Blue collar vs middle-upper class/White collar issue. Here in Philadelphia you can find real pockets of true hard core ignorance (to the point of violence) not just over race, but being "different" in any way. Yet a few miles away where the money and educational credentials of the natives are much higher, tolerance (albeit snooty-ness too) abounds.

The sad truth is the blue collar universe doesn't exactly value the mind. Not everyone is like this, but when your world is all about sports, scoring, loud vehicles, hanging with your bros, looking and acting "hard" and other assorted BS you neither know nor really care what exists outside of that. And when people are confronted with something outside their boundaries the first instinctual reaction is to attack.
I just want to say that of course, class, as well as race is at the heart of the issue.

Though, it is not as simple as your prejudiced viewpoint makes it out to be. Working class people react negatively to real or perceived 'invaisions', just the same as ANYONE regardless of class. Everyone has a similar reaction in a similar circumstance.

Its also NOT necessarily a matter of "education", that's a simplistic prejudiced view.

The reality is that people with higher education tend to have higher incomes, as well as a certain knowledge. The income allows these upper class/upper middle folk to BUY *walls*, and the subtle capability to manage their access to the outside world. Not real walls, but virtual walls, unseen, but just as strong as real walls.

For example, working class have their *bars*, where they socialize and screen patrons. With limited funds, they themselves are compelled to physically enforce exclusivity.

Upper/upper middle, have their upscale bars, restaurants, clubs, and private clubs, where patrons are also vetted and screened. Rather than *physically* themselves enforcing exclusivity, these well off folks use MONEY! Placing the price of admission (cost of dinner, drinks, etc) well beyond what working class and/or those whom they wish to exclude can afford.

When cost proves insufficient and physicality is necessary, they simply PAY others (working class employeess) to deal with the violators, be it police, private security or whatever.

Upper/upper middle only give the PUBLIC appearance of "tolerance". Behind closed doors, it is another thing altogether.

Take one's neighborhood, again COST provides exclusivity; and, when that fails, these folk can afford to simply change local to more exclusive habitat.

Working class folk simply don't have such options of exclusivity, so they resort to provinciality and personal physical violence. What else do they have?? They don't have the ready capability to pick up and leave when the demographic winds change. So, they stand and fight, or act out against the "other", the invaiders.

So, its not as much a matter of education or class, but all about MONEY! With it, the appearance of "tolerance" can be bought and portrayed. Unfortunately, the working class cannot afford the same facade!

The monied simply have more levels of costly insulation from the "other"! While the working class have little choice, but to *confront* the "other". The "other" is moving into their territory, places which were once exclusive to *them*, their neighborhoods, towns, bars, clubs, etc.

It really sucks to discover, one cannot afford space in life.

It is the same wherever you go, every city, state and country.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:57 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,031,713 times
Quote:
"it is their hard earned money, if the other folks dont like it they can earn more money and buy it back. no one is forcing anyone."...

Absolutely, and precisely because these white trash will never have the money to buy anything in Quincy, let alone anywhere else, explains their frustration. They are generally low income renters or living with their parents.

I agree completely with the success oriented culture of the Chinese. My next door Chinese neighbors have a daughter who is college bound, hopefully to Wellesley. My neighbors across the street have twin boys, one to Bates and another to Tufts. The white neighbors down the street from me have two sons, both struggled with substance abuse and not planning on going anywhere but welfare status.

I helped my neighbor's girl with her college application's personal statement and took a quick look at her transcript. Wow! and her writing is excellent. Give Quincy ten more years, and both high schools will be scoring strongly, and the trash will either die of old age, or driven out by higher rent.
A few more thoughts... and speaking as an educated Chinese American who speaks English flawlessly.

1. Most of the Asians living in Quincy creating a new Chinatown are NOT educated and they speak English poorly. What they have going for them is that they are very hardworking food service workers holding down two jobs and as a family pooling their money. That is how they are able to buy real estate.

2. And they want a chinatown so that they can speak their home tongue and mingle with others of their culture.

3. Most well educated Asians with good English speaking skills, well educated and with well paying jobs would prefer to live in good communities which are predominately white and with good public schools. They are keen to assimilate into Western society, therefore they aren't interested in living in a chinatown.

And lastly, not everyone is meant to be a homeowner. Renting is a very valid lifestyle. And trying to enable ALL Americans to be homeowners is what helped create our last housing crisis with the burst value bubble and the mortgage foreclosures. I object to the notion that those who don't like the situation can solve it by "buying back their neighborhood". What is this... some sort of real estate market war you want to start? And then you would get people paying over market value for their homes and causing another real estate bubble.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,876,898 times
Quote:
How funny that the hordes rush out to defend the Irish Catholics. The fact is very clear, and that is the bulk of those who "escaped" Dorchester and Southie brought with them all of the racist prejudice, warranted or not, with them. When they settled in Quincy, they brought that racism here, and now they spew it against the Asians. This thread is about Asian Americans and their experience with racism in Quincy. My take is harsh, but I live in Quincy, I pay taxes in Quincy and I know all of my neighbors. My statement is grounded in the facts that I see around me, starting with my street on Wollaston Hill. My Chinese neighbors have kids going to college, and they all have jobs, drive nice cars, and have strong family values. My white neighbors, most of them with Irish last names, refuse to speak with "them Asians", but are befuddled with social and economic issues (one just filed for personal bankrupcy, yet they act so snotty with their Chinese neighbors!). Their kids could care less about schools. but they sure love their football and acting tough with their friends! A few are even in trouble with drugs! Why are more than 90% of the petty crimes, from break-in to mugging, committed by whites in Quincy while there is such a huge Asian population? I am not Asian, nor am I Irish, but I call it as I see it. Who do you think I would want as my neighbors?

Trash comes in all colors, and it is due to a lack of education, or emphasis on education. Being trashy unfortunately tends to perpetuate through the generations, and racism, as a manifestation of the larger ignorance that is at the core of that lack of education, is the most immediate expression.
You sound like a Know Nothing. I have no doubt that you've encountered a bunch of ignorant Irish-Americans in Quincy. Generalizing to the whole lot of them is the bad part. It doesn't matter how many specific examples you can cite. How many racist rants have started with, "my friend was mugged by one of them"? They almost always include, "I call it as I see it."

And I have no doubt that there are a lot of trashy, racist Irish-Americans in Quincy. It seems like the OP has already encountered a few of them. I can't agree that trash comes simply from a lack of education; there's certainly a strong correlation but there are great and wonderful people who never finished high school and absolute terrors with Ivy League doctorates.

I suspect you aren't really anti-Irish, you're just coming off that way because of the low bandwidth of information message boards. Have you heard of Milton? It's consistently ranked as both one of the best and also the most Irish town in the US. They have had great schools for years, even with all those Irish, who's culture of education is apparently non-existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts