Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 01:28 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I notice that many people use window AC (cheap to buy). If you have to install a brand new system, aside from the traditional system, there are other choices depending on your budget and preference... I'm thinking split AC units and high velocity AC systems that use really small ductwork.
I forgot about this option. When I lived in an old victorian, that was on our list as the best choice to add AC. Those small ducts can be run inside closets and such, to get to upper levels. Sorry, we never got around to adding it though - kept using window units until we sold the place.

Quote:
I don't understand how people tolerate not using AC when it's 90% humidity in the summer. Even just for 2 months for me is unbearable, but I do see houses without any AC at all.
Because those 2 months are brutal, but then comes 10 months of heating bills... The last thing you can imagine is paying for an AC install, while sending a monthly $350 check to the gas/electric company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
A lot of homes are not forced air.. so the AC install can get expensive.

Growing up we lived in a ranch with hot water baseboard oil. Initially we had 2 AC units installed into the wall which were great, but only the rooms they were in. (We spent most of the summer in the basement anyways).

Later we installed central AC but since it was a ranch, we installed it through the attic so it was easy and did not require us to change the heating system. I can imagine a 2 story home would have been much more complicated.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM

387 posts, read 916,281 times
I live in a 100-year-old house of around the same size, and estimates ran about $20k for central air. Ductless systems like Mr. Slim would've cost as little as $10k.

We ended up sticking with window AC units. The new ones are much, much lighter than even units that came out five years ago, and you can buy low-profile ones that don't take up a lot of window space. We cool only the rooms we want, and it's much more energy efficient and comfortable than my experiences with central AC. One person can sleep at 68 degrees, another at 72, if they like.

The main reason we didn't end up installing traditional or ductless AC was the architecture of the house. Old houses don't tend to come with a lot of extra closet space, and we didn't want to ruin the look of the rooms.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Quote:
You just have to take no central AC into account in your own offer but you can't say it's a defect that sellers have to pay for. Unless the AC is there but broke in some way.

I notice that many people use window AC (cheap to buy). If you have to install a brand new system, aside from the traditional system, there are other choices depending on your budget and preference... I'm thinking split AC units and high velocity AC systems that use really small ductwork.

I don't understand how people tolerate not using AC when it's 90% humidity in the summer. Even just for 2 months for me is unbearable, but I do see houses without any AC at all.
If your power circuits can take then, window units can comfortably get the job done for about 1/10th to 1/20th of the price. It is a hassle to take them out in the fall and put them back in in the fall, but I doubt that a central ac system is maintince free, either.

As for the heat and humidity, it can get hot here, but having grown up in Louisiana it's not even in the same league, so to me it doesn't feel that bad. Live down there for a few years and the Boston summer will no longer bother you. Of course there are a few days where it just won't cool down and it feels hot, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,733 times
There are systems that require no duct work. It depends on the style of home, and these AC units, are basically hung from a ceiling or wall. And for the average 3000 sq foot home this system would work well, the cost for hardware is 2700, plus install which can't be more than 1500-2000, and that may be high. Here is some info for you, and i work in a property that has this system and it works great.

Ductless mini split air conditioners are relatively new to North America. Nevertheless, they have been in use throughout Europe, Africa, Australia, Middle and Far East for many years. They have a multitude of residential and commercial applications. The most common residential applications are use in multifamily housing or as retrofitted add-ons with hydronic or other non-ducted distribution systems. Commercially, they are well suited for use in climate-controlled environments such as server rooms. Ductless split systems combine the zoning flexibility of conventional room units with the whole house cooling potential of a central system. Furthermore, the installation is relatively fast and easy. (Click Here for General Installation Reference).
Ramsond® Mini split systems are easy and quick to install. They operate quietly. They are versatile and efficient and can be installed in variety of zones. They are integrated with the most reliable components available in the market. They are far more advanced than conventional air conditioning systems and provide added security (against intruders) as compared to window and through wall type units. Ramsond Mini Split systems are not only sleek and stylish, but are super efficient and economical. For these and other reasons, Ramsond Mini Splits have become the preferred choice of many HVAC professionals worldwide.

Check out this link AC-WORLD.com Ductless Air Conditioners 2009

Old 12-13-2012, 03:52 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Are those the kind of white wall installations you see on "International House Hunters?" The guy who built my house didn't have ductwork for a/c when he built his house ("It's New England!" blahblah). He installed this white sort of longish rectangular thing on the wall which cost about $1800 and a/c's the whole first floor. Of course, he did the installation himself, but it seemed more than adequate.
(I got the ductwork and the central a/c, which seemed like a luxury when planning the house in February... but come the summer, I so loathe the humidity and it has certainly become more and more humid for longer periods of time in the 38 years I've lived in the area. Less hot, fewer high-temp days, but much much more humid.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:11 AM

44 posts, read 135,565 times
Central AC is eligible for the MassSave rebate program:
Heat Pump Incentives | Central Air Conditioning Installation

Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 AM

422 posts, read 1,475,570 times
i've a 2300+sqft 2-storey 3bedrm cape. i was checking prices for ductless split unit a/c for the whole house (5 units in all - 1+1+3)...the pricing range from $10,000-$16,000. there are some units with energy saving rebates that you can claim for.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:46 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
I would stick a few window units in & be done with it. They are cheap & work very well. Just my 2cents.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatturkey View Post
i've a 2300+sqft 2-storey 3bedrm cape. i was checking prices for ductless split unit a/c for the whole house (5 units in all - 1+1+3)...the pricing range from $10,000-$16,000. there are some units with energy saving rebates that you can claim for.
Now you see why people use window units. Two or 3 of those will keep your home cool enough.
I can think of a whole lot of other things to spend 15 grand on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts