U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 01:44 PM

26 posts, read 161,830 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to what utilities cost in Massachusetts for a house that is around 2500-3000 square feet. Trying to budget for the future as I plan to start looking into houses.

What is the annual electricity bill (I know it will vary by month whether it is summer with central AC or winter)?
What is the annual gas bill (again, it will vary because of heat during winter)?
What is the annual water bill?
Am I missing anything else? Are there separate bills for trash, sewer, etc?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 02:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 31,065,244 times
I'll try to help you out the best that I can:

Electric:
We have central air. I work from home and have low tolerance for heat and humidity, so we keep it quite cold. Last year, it cost $2100 for electricity.

Oil:
I don't have gas heat; I have oil. Again, because I work from home, I can't have it too chilly during the day. From 5:00 AM to 9:30 PM, it's kept at 68 degrees. At 9:30, it starts dropping down to 59 degrees until 5:00 AM rolls around again. I'd say that it probably costs approximately, with fluctuations in oil prices, $2000 for the year.

Water and sewer:
I think that this is a combined bill here. I also think that we get this bill quarterly, and it's around $120 each time. So just under $500 for the year.

No separate trash charge; that's part of our city property taxes.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:38 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,003,366 times
Electricity--depends on if you cooking or heating, washing, drying or not--probably as low as low as $80 to 200-250 a month;
Gas--I would estimate that for cooking, heating, water heater you will be looking at $1500-2200 year;
Water, sewer and trash are assessed per towns, check with relevant departments of towns you are interested in buying;they can differ very much from one town to the next;
Property tax, home insurance, PMI if you are not putting full 20% or more down-payment, local motor vehicle excise tax, cable, phone, internet...

Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 AM

26 posts, read 161,830 times
Thank you for the estimates. This will be helpful in my planning. As for the other bills (property tax, home insurance, PMI, etc etc) I can roughly estimate already.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:17 AM

132 posts, read 520,574 times
In a smaller home than what you have described above:

Electricity Running pretty consistently about $100/month in a home with a lot of electronics -- this spikes in July/August for wall unit a/c, but not by much.

Water/Sewer/Trash is a combined bill in my City, so about $1200/year, billed quarterly

Gas for oven and dryer only - $15-20/month (Water can be really brutal in some towns, so check the specific town and don't assume that Massachusetts is standardized -- the MWRA puts the screws to the Towns it serves, as a way of making back certain cleanup costs).

Oil for heat, not Gas (not uncommon here, and more expensive than gas) -- we have a five-six month gap during the warm months where we don't need a single re-fill, and pay nothing. Therefore, it is a painful, ugly time when the bills start rolling in during the winter, and even in the smaller house, can be $1800-2000 for the six-seven month period, depending on how cold a year it is.

This link will take you to a list of the Massachusetts property tax rates by City and Town. Again, be sure to check out the specific Towns you are interested in, there are wildly different rates.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:46 AM

2,287 posts, read 6,411,401 times
I'm assuming you are asking about Eastern MA since most questions in this forum is about locations close to Boston (vs Western MA)....2500+ sq ft is considered a huge house around here. If you can afford that big a house, you shouldn't be worried about utilities cost, which would be a bare fraction of your mortgage and property tax bill.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:01 PM

288 posts, read 594,036 times
Also to consider is that some towns charge for school bus pickup. Some towns also don't have recycling.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:13 AM

157 posts, read 546,629 times
I think the heating cost estimates here are on the light side. Older homes greater than 2000 square feet that are not properly insulated can cost double, even triple the money to heat to a reasonable 68 degrees in the winter.

Just keep that in mind when house shopping. The housing stock in massachusetts of by in large, quite old and therefore not energy efficient. Further, even if there are claims that a home is 'insulated' that doesn't mean that it is WELL insulated.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM

82 posts, read 399,858 times
I agree with Chaxey utility costs can definitely vary by home age, location in MA and by gas vs oil. For myself my previous home was a 1875 victorian roughly 1800 sq ft and had oil heat. From about end of Oct. until April I spent roughly $800 per month on oil and that was keeping the house at 60-63 degrees. That house was extremely inefficient and that was with new windows! The heat just seeped through the walls. My current home is a little smaller and newer, a 1952 dormered cape about 1500 sq ft and I have gas heat along with a gas stove. My current heating bills during the same months are around $200 per month at around 63-65 degrees. My current home is far better insulated. I also live in WMass where it tends to be colder and snowier in the winter months. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:49 AM

4,656 posts, read 6,092,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxey View Post
I think the heating cost estimates here are on the light side. Older homes greater than 2000 square feet that are not properly insulated can cost double, even triple the money to heat to a reasonable 68 degrees in the winter.

Just keep that in mind when house shopping. The housing stock in massachusetts of by in large, quite old and therefore not energy efficient. Further, even if there are claims that a home is 'insulated' that doesn't mean that it is WELL insulated.
Even if you're house is not insulated, there are generous insulation programs offered through the Mass Save program that will pay or subsidize many insulation efforts. It is worth looking at when you do get settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts