U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 AM

16,412 posts, read 29,273,727 times

Advertisements

Whenever a meteor shower is predicted, it's seems it's either cloudy or it's at 4am and I'm at work, standing outside trying to figure out where northeast is or something.
But I was home last night, got onto my normal sleep schedule, which is to go to sleep around 3am. My house is a wall of windows on one side, and I saw a meteor streak from horizon to horizon in a split second- it took my breath away. I stood outside in the 5-degree cold to watch for more, but no more happened. It was wonderful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 AM

17,720 posts, read 11,688,007 times
It is amazing to see them.
There are meteors every night but it does seem like when the showers are predicted it is cloudy. The believer in me likes to think that aliens cause the clouds and the meteor showers to mask their movements. LOL The last shower my wife and I went out and saw dozens. She had never really seen one before.
The best one I ever saw was early morning maybe 5 and the sun was just coming up ands I was walking with my boss across the parking lot and one streaked over and left a dark plume of smoke in its wake. We figured it must have impacted pretty close by.
Neat stuff. Keep your eyes to the skies.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 PM

4,629 posts, read 12,985,743 times
Lucky you--it sounds like a beauty! I had been so looking forward to last night's peak of Quadrantids, and then completely forgot and went to bed at a relatively 'normal' time And while cold, it was a perfectly clear and crisp night, perfect for watching from INSIDE. Darn darn darn Oh well... I thought it was chilly in mid-December when I watched meteors from 1 to 4 AM (saw dozens), but compared to last night, it was downright balmy

Old 01-05-2013, 03:44 PM

16,412 posts, read 29,273,727 times
Could help but think of the classic "Twilight Zone" episode "Monsters are Coming to Maple Street," where a guy is considered a threat because he goes outside at night and looks up at the stars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts