Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 AM

8,525 posts, read 13,910,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstHomeSearch View Post
That is a good point indeed. I noticed just because some towns have a 8 or higher in the average scores, the home prices are also that high and we really didnt want to compromise on the type of home to get. If we need to venture slightly more into the suburbs thats fine as long as there is a commuter rail option.
Buying a home is a very personal thing. Everyone in their mind's eye has an image of the minimum house they're willing to live in. Some people are also very driven by having the absolute best school system. A couple of years ago, I helped a client buy a 3 bedroom, one floor condo in Newton. He absolutely wanted the Newton school system (specifically Newton South High) and wasn't willing to compromise. He spent over $500K and the condo was maybe 1400 sf and he lives there with the FOUR other members of his family. Alternatively, this summer I worked with some clients who spent about the same amount and bought in Hopkinton. They live in a ~3,000 sf home on a large lot in a lovely neighborhood. However, the pundits say the Hopkinton school system is not as good as the Newton schools. The larger house and larger yard was more important to these people though. They were very happy to have what are thought of as very good schools for their kids instead of cramming themselves into a condo for what are believed to be great schools.

Find the town that fits you best from the quality of schools & size of house perspectives and as a first time buyer I would strongly recommend your next task to be finding a good buyer's agent to represent you who is knowledgeable about that town. I assure you a good agent is not necessarily the first one you'll meet. Interview a few. Informally quizzing agents at open houses is also a tactic people have mentioned to me as a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM

925 posts, read 2,732,512 times
WGBH News: 25 Years Later, A Poisoned Town Can't Come Clean

Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 AM

9,922 posts, read 15,488,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
A couple of years ago, I helped a client buy a 3 bedroom, one floor condo in Newton. He absolutely wanted the Newton school system (specifically Newton South High) and wasn't willing to compromise. He spent over $500K and the condo was maybe 1400 sf and he lives there with the FOUR other members of his family. Alternatively, this summer I worked with some clients who spent about the same amount and bought in Hopkinton. They live in a ~3,000 sf home on a large lot in a lovely neighborhood. However, the pundits say the Hopkinton school system is not as good as the Newton schools. The larger house and larger yard was more important to these people though.
Mike, have you looked at the MCAS results for Hopkinton High vs. Newton South? They might surprise you!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 AM

288 posts, read 631,447 times
I think demographics has some affect on rank. Framingham is a 7 despite having a diverse population that is more working class with a larger than average immigration population. Westwood is a 10 and is almost all white and is very wealthy. I had a friend who taught in Framingham (7). The Framingham high school (which I have visited) is actually in a nice building and has relatively good classroom resources (e.g. projectors, computers). In Framingham though, there is not a lot of parental involvement. I heard though that in one of the AP courses, the Framingham kids banded together and helped each other study by sharing notes and outlines using social media. Coming from a super competitive high school, I find that remarkable that they took the initiative to collaborate and help each other.

As for a town like Westwood (10), I don't think the kids are necessarily, innately brighter than the kids from elsewhere. Their parents are more on top of making sure the kids complete their homework and study for tests, and they started off with a more solid foundation. Westwood may also just have a larger pool of motivated kids that want to go to college.

Anyway, I would research about Mike's warning about Framingham budgets. I don't know what is going on with the elementary and middle schools there (they seem all over the place).

Last edited by sharencare; 01-16-2013 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Mike, have you looked at the MCAS results for Hopkinton High vs. Newton South? They might surprise you!
I have. However, as I mentioned in another thread recently MCAS scores are but one measure of academic success. Have you seen the average SAT scores in the two schools? Do you know the percentage of students in each school that score as "proficient" on AP exams?

Comparing schools is really a difficult task and each individual will want to weight various metrics differently according to the needs of their child. Hopkinton vs Newton South can be especially difficult because of the differing size of the schools. There are about 60% more students at South than Hopkinton High. You can look at metrics until you're blue in the face though and you still will not have accurately judged the school. It's a good idea to visit and see first hand the school. Even then, you may not know for sure until your child is actually attending the school if it's a good fit.

Please understand I'm in no way diminishing the quality of the Hopkinton school system. I think it's a very good school system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharencare View Post
I had a friend who taught in Framingham (7) but now teaches in the highly rated Westwood (10). The Framingham high school (which I have visited) is actually in a very nice building and has relatively good classroom resources (e.g. projectors, computers).
I'm actually a product of the Framingham school system. I wouldn't recommend the experience to anyone.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 PM

Another school resource to throw into the mix:
Top Massachusetts High Schools | Best High Schools | US News

Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 PM

71 posts, read 170,595 times
I know a family that lives in Ashland and am impressed with the neighborhood and town. For being so accessible by rail and turnpike to Boston, it's surprising what you can get for the money.

The only thing is, the houses seem to be either older and very small, or brand new-ish and priced higher than your (OP) budget mentions. The nice neighborhoods are very nice. Lots of professionals, and a Montessori school in the neighborhood.

I suspect that there is some discount based on the superfund issues from half-century ago. And not all the neighborhoods were affected even then.

The couple I know are originally from Newton (Newton South attendance, actually) and they seem happy.

But they've been there for 5 years and raising their children in what seems to be a nice neighborhood.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 PM

21 posts, read 72,577 times
Thank you all for your invaluable input. Had some follow up qtns.. If anyone has answers/feedback do pour in! Your help is only going to be appreciated from our end.

Q) We are trying to not include towns with the superfund issue.. If we really have no choice, we might consider only if we can live along the edges or very far from the actual dump sites. I was wondering for each town, where does the water supply come from? Is there a common reservoir to supply for all towns or does the water come from any nearby sources? It would be useful to know this info..

Q) I noticed that some towns have no (public) high school info on the greatschools website and I am not sure if I am reading this right.. But where do these kids go once they reach high school age? For example Southborough has no public high school on GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community so what happens to the kids once they reach the high school age?

Q) How is the town Reading? It has good schools as well as an MBTA line (Haverhill) so would this town be a good place to buy a house under 400k and start a family?

Any feedback would be appreciated! Many thanks!

Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM

Default home search - responses below

Hi - I've answered your questions below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstHomeSearch View Post
Thank you all for your invaluable input. Had some follow up qtns.. If anyone has answers/feedback do pour in! Your help is only going to be appreciated from our end.

Q) We are trying to not include towns with the superfund issue.. If we really have no choice, we might consider only if we can live along the edges or very far from the actual dump sites. I was wondering for each town, where does the water supply come from? Is there a common reservoir to supply for all towns or does the water come from any nearby sources? It would be useful to know this info.

Woburn & Ashland are two that I know of that have Superfund sites. There's a website where you can find a map showing all areas that are designated as Superfund sites and some information about their current status. I may have it bookmarked & if I find it I'll send it along.

Re: water, some towns like Westborough have public water supplies and some like Sherborn have private wells. If you buy a home that has a public water system, the town is required to conduct periodic tests to ensure the safety of the water. I'm not sure how in-depth these are but you can find this information through their local board of health. If you buy a home with a private well you'll want to have a water quality and quantity test done to make sure that there's nothing harmful to your health in the water and that you have good water pressure & there's nothing amiss with the well itself.

Q) I noticed that some towns have no (public) high school info on the greatschools website and I am not sure if I am reading this right.. But where do these kids go once they reach high school age? For example Southborough has no public high school on GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community so what happens to the kids once they reach the high school age?

Southborough & Northborough share a public school system called Algonquin Regional, which is ranked here: Best Schools 2012. Also, some of the ranking sites only includes schools for part of the state. For example, the last Boston Magazine ranking only included schools east of Rt 495.

Q) How is the town Reading? It has good schools as well as an MBTA line (Haverhill) so would this town be a good place to buy a house under 400k and start a family?

I've had clients who looked in Reading & found some nice neighborhoods there in that price range. They ultimately ended up quite far from there due to a job switch but it seems nice in parts.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Many thanks!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM

I think Kmann gave you some solid answers, but I do have a little to add to one of her answers . . .

Q) We are trying to not include towns with the superfund issue.. If we really have no choice, we might consider only if we can live along the edges or very far from the actual dump sites. I was wondering for each town, where does the water supply come from? Is there a common reservoir to supply for all towns or does the water come from any nearby sources? It would be useful to know this info..

The EPA's website is a good resource, but you can always Google "[name of town] superfund site" and see if you get any hits.

As for water supply . . . some homes have private wells but that's more common in the more rural towns and towns outside of 495. Some towns have their own town wells. For example, Needham uses a combination of town well water and water from the MWRA (state water utility). Many towns inside of 495 strictly use water from the MWRA though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts