Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 03:14 PM

121 posts, read 240,286 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have a dilemma... We live in Belmont and are thinking of moving to Watertown.. We are a relatively young couple with 3 kids...
- in Belmont we live in one family house, in suburbs, driving everywhere, too many hills to bike around, so even for that we need to drive somewhere.. Kids not using backyard enough to justify the maintenance cost...1 car garage, house is all redone and new but getting small for our family...
- in watertown it would be townhouse... Close to everything - walking walking walking everywhere... Closer to friends ( all in Newton)...i90 is right there, 10 minutes to Boston....2 car garage... Much bigger house

Would you do it? Is it downsizing? I am worried that house in Belmont will hold the value better then townhouse in Watertown...

Tia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM

4,883 posts, read 13,768,987 times
Although Watertown has respectable (and improving) public schools, Belmont's are pretty far ahead of them in terms of the state educational rankings. Belmont High is a "pipeline to Harvard" much like Boston Latin, while the same can't be said for its neighboring community. For this reason alone a residential property in Belmont stands to appreciate in value better.

From having worked in the Belmont school system for a year, I got to observe plenty about local society. All towns have their "wrong side of the tracks" and student cliques. But Belmont has made snobbery into an art form. Watertown by comparison is a considerably more friendly and unpretentious place.

Property resale would not be something to worry about in Watertown despite the schools' relative lack of prestige. It's perennially popular with professionals who are priced out of Cambridge and Newton or are looking for a more "suburban" environment. Due to that it seems that the academics are actually improving.

I'm not the best source of info due to my bias against sleepy snooty Belmont, granted, but if I were in your shoes I'd make the move.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:39 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,224,222 times
I would not go to Watertown but Arlington or Cambridge if you can afford to.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,374,794 times
Why not Newton if that is where you have friends?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 PM

Newton is out of our price range, unfortunately, and so is lexington...

Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,224,965 times
From your post, it sounds like you have it all figured out. I know this sounds cliche, but it's really about what is most important to you. From your lifestyle, it sounds like you would be happier in Watertown. Granted townhomes do not appreciate as much, but it's still Watertown, and as you said only 10 minutes from Boston, etc. The only other drawback supposedly be the schools. Consider: Would your kids REALLY have that much of a disadvantage graduating from Watertown? You have to consider everything. A successful high school is not solely the number of National Merit Finalists, or average SAT scores. It's how your child takes advantage of what is available to him/her. While I'm not a local to Watertown, I'm sure there are plenty of graduates who will have their success stories, (and their field hockey team is awesome...LOL...seriously).

To answer your question, I would do it. It's not downsizing if it is, as you put it, a much bigger house.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
From your post, it sounds like you have it all figured out. I know this sounds cliche, but it's really about what is most important to you. From your lifestyle, it sounds like you would be happier in Watertown. Granted townhomes do not appreciate as much, but it's still Watertown, and as you said only 10 minutes from Boston, etc. The only other drawback supposedly be the schools. Consider: Would your kids REALLY have that much of a disadvantage graduating from Watertown? You have to consider everything. A successful high school is not solely the number of National Merit Finalists, or average SAT scores. It's how your child takes advantage of what is available to him/her. While I'm not a local to Watertown, I'm sure there are plenty of graduates who will have their success stories, (and their field hockey team is awesome...LOL...seriously).

To answer your question, I would do it. It's not downsizing if it is, as you put it, a much bigger house.
Thank you I have my heart set on watertown, but I wanted to hear other opinions, as I am not American and might not see something others may know
I feel a lot like goyguy... Belmont is very snobby and suburban... And watertown is urban and friendly... But my friends from Newton think we would be crazy to move to Watertown... So I wanted to know if it is something that everybody thinks...
Are there any parts of Watertown that are big no-no? I was looking at the watertown square it's called, I think... Near the bridge and Staples...

Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 AM

I know enough of Watertown to tell you that it is apples and oranges in comparing schools, still. Belmont has plenty of issues in fiscal management, and it is not ideal, but it has fairly different demographics than Watertown. Watertown is not family oriented town in the same manner. There are lot more people without kids in Watertown than Belmont (and Belmont is not all that full of young families either).
I also have feeling that you fell in love with a particular home in Watertown and would like validation for your feelings.
I would urge to explore your options some more. Please check Arlington, which is lot more urban, and international with better schools than Watertown.
Also, with owning property in Belmont you can easily rent it, and have enough to cover your mortgage expenses. Then go live somewhere else and try it out first, without committing fully. What if you discover that Watertown is not what you thought? You will be stuck in less desirable town than one you came from. Where would you go next?

Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 AM

I did hear that Cuniff Elementary is not well regarded. Most folks like to congregate around Lowell Elementary area which is regarded as the best one, and where neighborhoods around it are quite nice.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
I know enough of Watertown to tell you that it is apples and oranges in comparing schools, still. Belmont has plenty of issues in fiscal management, and it is not ideal, but it has fairly different demographics than Watertown. Watertown is not family oriented town in the same manner. There are lot more people without kids in Watertown than Belmont (and Belmont is not all that full of young families either).
I also have feeling that you fell in love with a particular home in Watertown and would like validation for your feelings.
I would urge to explore your options some more. Please check Arlington, which is lot more urban, and international with better schools than Watertown.
Also, with owning property in Belmont you can easily rent it, and have enough to cover your mortgage expenses. Then go live somewhere else and try it out first, without committing fully. What if you discover that Watertown is not what you thought? You will be stuck in less desirable town than one you came from. Where would you go next?
i was thinking about renting our house, but then we would not have a downpayment...Our kids are in private school in Lexington for now. But you never know where the life will take you, so back up plan (meaning good public school) would be preferable...I have to point thought, that we moved to Belmont because of the school, and my daughter went to Winn Brook for one year. After half a year there i started urgently looking for a private school, our experience in WB was horrible... So i am a bit skeptical about "good" schools...

We live very close to Arlington, and i know city pretty well...I actually first started looking at Arlington and Lexington centers, omg the prices there....But even if i would move close to Arlington/Lexington, i indeed would get some urban feel with Mass Ave being close by...But that's about it, Boston/Newton would still be pretty far...We looked at couple of houses in Needham, but it's far from my parents, our current school, and everything else, too Closer to Newton though

I grew up in a big city, and while raising kids in suburbs is nice...Mom going crazy from living in the woods is not a nice thing LOL...And also i think my kids would benefit from actually GOING places instead of driving everywhere...

I keep asking people about watertown and i keep getting such a different answers.....

The house we looked at is in Hosmer school district...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts