Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,462 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are moving from out of state. We have small kids and have narrowed it down to these towns. We are looking for good schools and a good community to raise a family in. We are from a city with good ammenities, so wondering if a town like Norwell would be too small. We love the look and feel of it, but maybe too small? Also, I know that some of these are pricier, but is it worth it to spend a little more to be in a place like Westwood or Hingham?

Any thoughts would be great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 02:06 PM

131 posts, read 414,255 times
Lived in Norwell for 7+ years now. There are plenty of amenities in nearby towns. I am about 2 miles from the Hanover mall, plus there are tons of other places very close by in Hingham, Weymouth, etc.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
I think it depends on what your budget is and where you'll be going for work. I don't know much about Hingham or Norwell, but I can definitely say Westwood is a nice place to live. You won't find a conventional, walkable town center, but there is good access to shopping nearby and very good access to public transportation into Boston.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:57 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,156 times
I would go for Hingham--better amenities, closer to Boston, better schools etc. Hingham is place where you can walk around, and actually use sidewalks, as opposed to driving the car everywhere you need to go. It is about what lifestyle you want. I love that they have not just train, but very fast commuter boat into Boston.
I would recommend looking into Cohasett as well.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,016,971 times
Hingham is a lovely town and they've really made it even nicer in recent years. My only complaints are that it doesn't have good highway access and getting into Boston from there involves the nightmare that is I93 North (but so do many of the other towns on your list). My aunt lives in Hingham and regularly complains during the summer about traffic caused by people headed to the Cape.

Westwood, Canton, and Milton are all nice towns. I don't know a ton about Milton as I've mostly only driven through there. My biggest complaint about Westwood is that there's no town center. I know a ton of people who live in Canton and absolutely love it.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:40 PM

131 posts, read 414,255 times
It seems that when you talk about nice towns on the South Shore all anybody can think of is Hingham as though it's a bargain or something. Believe me you pay through the nose for its charms. My daughter had about 650k to 700k to spend and her husband works in Hingham and when they were looking all there were had small lots, usually no central air, etc. To me Hingham is not affordable. Then look out for the snobs and wannabes.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
I'd add Westwood has the asterix of the westwood station which is now university station. It's scaled down but will get a wegmans :-D

Hingham can be nice, it does have highway access as the area is right by the Durby shops. Some of the traffic has lowered thanks the commuter rails which go further south.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:45 AM

3 posts, read 9,966 times
I lived in Hingham for 27years and loved every day. If you love the ocean and the bay it doesn't get much better. You can commute to Boston by boat or the train. The schools are excellent too. My son grew up there and now does real estate sales and rentals too.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,249 times
Default Good choices

Hi Swimmer,
I grew up in Hingham, lived in Westwood, and have explored living in Canton and Milton. I love both Hingham and Westwood for many reasons--great schools, beautiful towns, good people. In general, towns with good-great school systems cost a little more (sometimes a lot) to get into but they retain their values down the line. If you can, I would always buy in a town with great schools if you have children--its an investment in them and a better investment in real estate long term. The big difference between Westwood and Hingham is, as said by others, the ocean! As a good friend put it recently, "Living in Massachusetts and not being by the water is like going to the movies and staying in the bathroom the whole time". Hingham also has a lot more charm as Westwood lacks a downtown area or an area to go be social. Westwood is also a dry town (if that matters to you). Feel free to ask any questions as I am happy to help further if you like. Good luck!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 PM

468 posts, read 758,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDV View Post
Hi Swimmer,
I grew up in Hingham, lived in Westwood, and have explored living in Canton and Milton. I love both Hingham and Westwood for many reasons--great schools, beautiful towns, good people. In general, towns with good-great school systems cost a little more (sometimes a lot) to get into but they retain their values down the line. If you can, I would always buy in a town with great schools if you have children--its an investment in them and a better investment in real estate long term. The big difference between Westwood and Hingham is, as said by others, the ocean! As a good friend put it recently, "Living in Massachusetts and not being by the water is like going to the movies and staying in the bathroom the whole time". Hingham also has a lot more charm as Westwood lacks a downtown area or an area to go be social. Westwood is also a dry town (if that matters to you). Feel free to ask any questions as I am happy to help further if you like. Good luck!
Just to be clear, Westwood hasn't been totally dry in some years as Westwood grants alcohol licenses to restaurants. Only bars and package stores aren't allowed if I recall correctly. (I grew up in Westwood and live next door in Walpole now.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts