Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:10 PM

37 posts, read 121,929 times

Advertisements

We're new to the area and are renting in Newton. I feel like the minority because while everyone else raves and loves Newton to me it feels just too congested and city-like. I love for the small charming town feel. We drove up to Concord yesterday and I fell in love with the charm of the town. We have 2 small children so was happy to learn how excellent the schools are as well. So I'm wondering, what's the catch? I guess a longer commute into the city is the biggest no?? My husband would drive in to Back Bay area....would I be right in assuming it would take him 45 mins? Are those everyday conveniences like a Target, Costco, larger grocery store, mall close enough by? Anyway, was just curious to know if there's something I'm missing cause between the charming town, plentiful parks, ponds, lake, and great schools I'm wondering why we shouldn't pack up and move from Newton to Concord ASAP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM

71 posts, read 171,472 times
It's really a matter of commute time. If you don't want to be in the close-in suburbs, then the only possibility is a longer commute. I think because Concord is mostly served by Route 2 (not sure) that is what makes it such a bear to get in and out of on weekdays.

In Newton you are paying for the convenience of being close to amenities/city; if this is not of value to you, then I would say move to Concord (or any other quaint outside-of-I95 town). I don't know much about the Concord-Lincoln area, but if I were looking there I would check on plans for Hanscom airport/base. I do think the commute would be more than 45 minutes.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 PM

62 posts, read 135,299 times
Lindsaycg, we were also thinking of Concord. Coming from England, we loved the charm of Concord until we learned of some disturbing information regarding a Superfund site (in other words, nuclear waste dump) in Concord. Put us completely off Concord and now looking at the North Shore.

Look at Find New England Sites - W. R. GRACE & CO., INC.(ACTON PLANT)

Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 PM

I should note, though, that it's on the west side of town where the newer properties are. Most of the properties near Concord center are p-r-e-t-t-y pricey due to old money (my old boss was from Concord).

Old 02-04-2013, 01:28 PM

37 posts, read 121,929 times
wow - really?! a nuclear waste dump?! that's definitely less than ideal....to say the least! we had been looking at some of the newer construction homes as well - yikes!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 PM

71 posts, read 171,472 times
Just want to note that I'd be very careful not to jump to conclusions about waste sites. I don't know the area, and don't live near there, but I do know that rumors are just that.

So it's worthwhile to do the homework and know for sure. I've never heard of these nuclear things, although I never looked for a house there, so wouldn't have done the research.

I think that throughout the northeast there are many areas that have been polluted then cleaned up. Boston Harbor used to be dangerously polluted, now it's not. Lot's of landfills have been capped and turned into parks; lots of watersheds that were formerly in danger are now out of it. It's a very complicated thing, is all I'm saying.

I don't live north of I-90, so I wouldn't know.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:58 PM

It is complicated, but seeing something like that in print and with so many other towns to choose from .....

Old 02-04-2013, 11:08 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I assume price is the only real drawback to Concord, and if it's not an issue, then Concord sounds perfect. I could never afford it but live not so far away and think it's a wonderful place. No secret problems that I know of.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:15 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,219 times
Besides the Superfund site and a town government that thinks they know how your should live your life.....I can't see anything wrong with Concord lol......

Just don't come in with wild ideas like wanting to buy bottled water etc. mmmm-kay?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 AM

Very funny, Logs and Dogs. You should also train your outside cat to stay inside your fenced-in yard.

Also, how funny that a town with uranium has banned the sale of bottled water....just saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts