U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:36 PM

11 posts, read 15,780 times

Advertisements

Hello boards.

I work next to Fenway Park. The closest stop to me is Yawkey. We are looking for an area with decent schools for our daughter and we would like to have some chickens and a goat and maybe another animal or two. We will need a multifamily/inlaw, but I don't think that is really relevant for this purpose.

Clearly, living along the Framingham line makes the most sense, but I have also been looking at the Providence line which goes to Back Bay. I am trying to avoid lines that go to south station and then I have to take the T to Kenmore Square.

We have looked in Bridgewater (least favorable commute), Attleboro (good commute), but it is difficult to gauge what a lot of these towns are like from the internet. We are not locals and have only lived here for a few months.

If you guys could make some town recommendations for us to look into that would give a great help.

Please let me know if there are any details I can add.

Thank you,

-C.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM

1,768 posts, read 2,984,854 times
I have not much knowledge about area you are looking at south of the city, but I will tell you that for the animals you will have to contact town hall to get the idea what is allowed. I know of Canton being decent, and also Franklin and Norfolk being great places. Not sure about farm animals at all

Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 PM

392 posts, read 863,891 times
yep, kingeorge is right, contact town hall. And get specifics from them. Because even if it may be allowed to have chickens on your property in general, this property needs to meet certain guidelines (lot size, where structures are positioned - the house and the shed etc) My friend in Natick has chickens for example, but someone else might not be able too, especially on a smaller lot, or a lot that is on a hill etc.
Check out the rules for each town, and when you have decided on a town, look for houses that meet criteria for chicken breeding. Ask your agent as well.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:17 PM

8,935 posts, read 13,852,983 times
As the other posters have said, it really depends on the lot size and what the town allows. A multifamily will be tough to find in these towns, but possibly an in-law.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 AM

925 posts, read 2,603,613 times
The Framingham/Worcester train line stops at Yawkey but not that frequently so it may not be the most convenient for you.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:13 AM

940 posts, read 1,829,719 times
This is in a completely different area, but Newbury in the north is a 'domestic animal friendly' town.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:14 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,312,717 times
Upton is a good bet for goats and chickens. It's pretty good in general for people people who'd rather live in New Hampshire but need access to Boston and the Framingham-Worcester commuter line. It is horsey and woodsy but more affordable than the Lincolns and Dovers.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:31 AM

275 posts, read 391,886 times
So Upton has horses & lots of woods huh?
Sounds like a nice area.
Central Connecticut used to have lots of horse farms too.
Now there are hardly any there, but still lots of woods.
way too many deer there though.
be careful driving thru Connecticut.
Lots of deer run across the highways because the woods are next to highways, & there are no fences or just short fences to prevent them
from getting onto a major highway or a busy roads
in a suburban neighborhood too.
It's probably because the state of Connecticut has insisted dog owners MUST pick up their dog's feces EVERY SINGLE
time your dog has a bowel movement.
That is WHY Connecticut resident do see so many wild animals roaming in suburban neighborhoods, even crowded ones.
Wild animals are wary of dog, for wolves are their ancestors.

Does Massachusetts have this pooper scooper law also?
Thought about moving to Mass. Connecticut has become the most costly place to live in the US now.
Their laws are so oppressive there too, & not very safe either.

We've raised chickens before too!

It's good fun. Lots of eggs to eat, & chickens eat all the bugs in your yard too.

Last edited by RockNRollRocks; 02-15-2013 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-18-2013, 01:03 PM

974 posts, read 1,724,799 times
Bridgewater and Attleboro are tough commutes for Fenway work. I drive up from RI during the summer on Mondays. Traffic begins at 6:00 am on 95 heading north.

If you don't have the option for a staggered schedule, the driving commute would be tough. The commuter rail from Attleboro would drop you off at Ruggles with a quick Hubway or bus ride across the fens.

Grafton is home to Tufts Veterinary School -- Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University

It has to be chicken friendly, right?

I don't know if Worcester County homes hold their value and that commuter line is not one of the more reliable like the North Shore.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 AM

11 posts, read 15,780 times
Oh my!

I didn't get the notifications that this thread was getting responses. Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to reply. I will read through this later today and comment.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts