Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times

Advertisements

Lowell might work for you. It even has its own vegetarian restaurant in the downtown, Life Alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 AM

6 posts, read 6,858 times
Default Melrose 8 miles to back bay

Hi There. I would recommend living in Melrose, Ma. I currently pay $1350 for an 880 sq foot 1 bedroom apartment. I work in BackBay and it takes me 40 min to commute on public transportation. In the morning it takes 24 minutes to get to back bay with no traffic. Traffic in boston is crazy so make sure that you take this into consideration when looking at the miles to his office. Melrose borders malden where the last stop on the orange line is (oak grove). The commute on the T probably is like 10 minutes to north station. There is a huge apartment complex right next to oak grove. they are just about to open another upscale apartment complex also next to oak grove. I am not sure of the cost of rent but the lady told me that they tell there residents to live comfortably your income should be 70000 a year. I am then assuming that the rent is around 1700.

I forgot to say that all i have to do is jump out my door and catch a 5 min bus to the T. Melrose has a great little downtown. It also has a nice towny feel. There is very little crime

Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 PM

46 posts, read 90,289 times
My boyfriend is a sales rep and will have places to visit extending all the way down to Sandwich in addition to many stops in Boston. That's why I've asked about all of these places, because really anything can work for us.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 AM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Plymouth?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 AM

Default plymouth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Plymouth?
What's it like? Nightlife, restaurants, downtown area?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 PM

940 posts, read 1,935,668 times
If it doesn't have to be South Shore, also look at Salem. Salem is the next best thing to Boston on the North Shore. It's 35 minutes by train, has a large walkable downtown with a waterfront, lots of restaurants and touristy things to do. It has a lot of culture and history, and festivals every month. Right now they are doing ice sculptures from Valentines day.

The best thing about it is it's also very affordable due to schools being less then desirable.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Default About Plymouth

Here is a post from a few months ago by someone looking for something like Plymouth on the North Shore. As she writes,

"I am from Plymouth MA on the south shore and within the past year and a half I have moved to the North Shore and have since been "town hopping" as none of these towns are really reminding me of home. What I love about Plymouth is the beach, the walkability, the shops, the nightlife, proximity to route 3. My boyfriend and I used to spend Sundays walking around Plymouth, grabbing a coffee at the local coffeeshop and just people watch.

"I first moved by myself to Woburn just because I had no idea where else to go. I lived there for a year. I liked horn pond, the convenience to Boston and the downtown was okay, but nothing I would take a leisurely stroll down.

"When I moved in with my boyfriend we moved to Winchester because I had driven through it and it was a nice town. The downtown area is obviously very nice, but there is only ONE bar in the whole downtown! Also, there are very many elderly people and very few people my age (24). The shops were nice but I cant really afford anything in them, and the only coffee shop is starbucks, which is okay, but not like Kiskadees in Plymouth. Also, the beach is a minimum of 45 minutes away unless I go to Revere.

"So, my lease is up in March and my boyfriend and I want to move AGAIN. We are looking for a north shore town, close to a beach, a few good bars, a nice walkable downtown area. It is very important that things are walkable because we have only one car which I normally have to take as my job requires me to travel to client sites. Therefore, my boyfriend would need to be able to walk to work or get to public transportation. Basically, we are looking for the Plymouth of the North Shore."

Sounds pretty nice to me!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Here is a post from a few months ago by someone looking for something like Plymouth on the North Shore. As she writes,

"......What I love about Plymouth is the beach, the walkability, the shops, the nightlife, proximity to route 3. My boyfriend and I used to spend Sundays walking around Plymouth, grabbing a coffee at the local coffeeshop and just people watch........"

I also looked at Google maps for Plymouth, and I counted 10 bars in the downtown. The streets looked attractive for walking. There will be tourists, but on the whole Plymouth looked attractive to me. The OP could check whether there is any entertainment at these bars.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM

Default commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I also looked at Google maps for Plymouth, and I counted 10 bars in the downtown. The streets looked attractive for walking. There will be tourists, but on the whole Plymouth looked attractive to me. The OP could check whether there is any entertainment at these bars.
This all sounds awesome! How close is Plymouth to Boston commute wise, not in rush hour?

Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM

940 posts, read 1,935,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post

"I am from Plymouth MA on the south shore and within the past year and a half I have moved to the North Shore and have since been "town hopping" as none of these towns are really reminding me of home. What I love about Plymouth is the beach, the walkability, the shops, the nightlife, proximity to route 3. My boyfriend and I used to spend Sundays walking around Plymouth, grabbing a coffee at the local coffeeshop and just people watch.

"I first moved by myself to Woburn just because I had no idea where else to go. I lived there for a year. I liked horn pond, the convenience to Boston and the downtown was okay, but nothing I would take a leisurely stroll down.

"When I moved in with my boyfriend we moved to Winchester because I had driven through it and it was a nice town. The downtown area is obviously very nice, but there is only ONE bar in the whole downtown! Also, there are very many elderly people and very few people my age (24). The shops were nice but I cant really afford anything in them, and the only coffee shop is starbucks, which is okay, but not like Kiskadees in Plymouth. Also, the beach is a minimum of 45 minutes away unless I go to Revere.

"So, my lease is up in March and my boyfriend and I want to move AGAIN. We are looking for a north shore town, close to a beach, a few good bars, a nice walkable downtown area. It is very important that things are walkable because we have only one car which I normally have to take as my job requires me to travel to client sites. Therefore, my boyfriend would need to be able to walk to work or get to public transportation. Basically, we are looking for the Plymouth of the North Shore."

Except neither Woburn or Winchester are technically a part of North Shore, more like north/west of Boston.

North Shore is mostly defined by the coastal and nearby towns, and more specifically 'the greater Salem' area (at least by people who live there). Everything else between North Shore and Metrowest is more like Boston North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts