Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 AM

11 posts, read 16,913 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...

I'm a newbie here but have been jumping around, reading different posts on relocating from SoCal to MA.
My husband, 14 yr. old son and I have been researching east coast areas for the past year or so to get a feel for a relocation. After looking at all the data, statistics, numbers, costs, blahblahblah, I think it's most important to hear from actual people who have made the move. I know we'll all have different reasons, likes, wants, viewpoints, etc. for SoCal vs. MA. but I'd still like to hear what those are - it might bring up something I hadn't thought of. I'm always open to different (respectful) points of view. I hope to hear back Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 AM

318 posts, read 504,376 times
whyyyyyyy would you leave SoCal for MA? lol no seriously, are you just moving to move or job related or..

just curious

Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 AM

Hi McSyddy...

Well, several reasons. We don't need to move (as in job relocation) but we'd like a change of scenery - we're travellers and would love to experience something more than SoCal, we love history - I've done years of genealogical research on my Mass. Atwoods - which put MA on the map for us, we don't like the high temps. and endless heat of SoCal, also some other issues that I don't feel would be appropriate to mention here. I also have a friend who visits MA regularly (she is also a SoCal native) and loves MA and keeps telling me I will too We've just been needing a change for years and MA looks absolutely beautiful and exactly what we're looking for. But it does seem a drastic change from one coast to the other, hence my wanting feedback Have you lived in SoCal? Are you a MA native?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 15,972 times
I have only one thing to say, there's a good reason they call themselves Ma$$holes.

Edit: Had to put in the dollar signs or the word was illegible.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:17 PM

13,345 posts, read 26,850,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethAtwood View Post
We've just been needing a change for years and MA looks absolutely beautiful and exactly what we're looking for. But it does seem a drastic change from one coast to the other, hence my wanting feedback Have you lived in SoCal? Are you a MA native?
I'm not exactly the example you are looking for. I'm a Massachusetts native with numerous relatives who moved to California between the 50's and 70's. None of them every wanted to live in Massachusetts again. A few moved out of California subsequently, going to Oregon or Nevada.

The largest problem for them is dealing with the winters. Are you prepared to deal with 36 inches of snow and days below freezing for weeks at a time?

I'd suggest trying to do a sabbatical year in Massachusetts to see how you adjust.

(As an aside, I could never live in California. The biggest problem for me is the lack of history there, and a shallow, materialistic attitude among the people. It's like everything important happened yesterday.)

Old 02-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Thanks for that reply, Goldenage1...

I have to say, my only real concern at this moment IS the weather. I'm literally looking at the data right now.

I was born and raised in Orange County, Southern CA. so I was never more than a half hour from the beach. A very mediterranean climate...BUT I moved to Lake Arrowhead (SoCal mtns.) about 14 years ago (to get away from the bustling and shallow lifestyles OC has become sadly known for). I know that even in the mtns., I'm still in SoCal, so our winters aren't AS harsh but we get our share of snow. I'm at near 5,800 ft. altitude. We just had (I'm guessing) a little over a foot of snow from Storm Q, that I know swept across the whole of the country. But I think our difference is that although we're freezing at night (first night was about 12 degrees), we're now warming up to hit 60 degrees this weekend. So, the snow is melting everyday, until one day it's gone, then we get a break until the next snowstorm.

Yes, so your point about the weather IS my greatest concern. As for your last comment about California, we have the same views but I do have a great sentimental attachment...but we're ready to move on. Thanks for your reply...every point of view helps

Old 02-28-2013, 02:27 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,086,774 times
What area of Massachusetts are you looking at?

Old 02-28-2013, 02:33 PM

Somewhere between Boston and the Cape (?). I can't say we've really narrowed down a particular place yet. I've been bouncing around just checking out job prospects for my husband and housing prices in that wide general area. There haven't been enough hours in the day to do all the research I need! But I'm getting there I like your username...that says a lot right there!

Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM

In reply to goldenage1's comment about weather, I was only able to upload 3 pics to an album, just to show our little winters here. I have been dealing with snow for the past 14 years but not on MA's scale, I'm sure but I'm no stranger to snow and freezing temps, I think it's more the length of time for freezing temps is what I'm worried about.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:42 PM

Just a note....I've clicked on the 'public' button for the album over and over and it won't let me make it public, in case anyone has tried to look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts