Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 PM

49 posts, read 80,427 times

Advertisements

Has anyone moved from a more suburban setting to downtown NBPT? If so, how was your adjustment? Do you walk more than drive? Are local amenities enough to meet your needs? Would appreciate suggestions about downtown streets that are attractive and relatively quiet . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Newburyport is a great little city that has re-invented itself from a gritty fishing & ship-building town into a thriving and very desirable place to live for those who have the means. Just about everyone I know who lives in town loves the lifestyle, especially if they moved to NBPT from someplace else. If you live near downtown, you can walk to festivals just about any weekend through much of the year (May through December, anyway), there are dozens of restaurants & upscale places to have an appetizer or a meal. Many will have live music several nights each week, or during nice weather, just walk along the public docks, listen to whatever band is playing in the summer months.

One issue that you'll need to keep in mind is that the downtown area can sometimes feel more geared to attracting visitors than providing residents with a place to pick up necessities of life. You'll probably still need to get to the grocery store, both of which are up on High Street (Rte 113). Not really walkable, but you can certainly get what you need in-town. There is a butcher shop/seafood market near downtown on Water Street, or just cross over one of the borders into Salisbury (movie theater) Newbury (Tendercrop Farm), Amesbury (another cute little downtown). Seabrook (NH) is a short ride north on Rte 95, and has every big-box store you could think of (Home Depot,

The hospital is just off of High Street (Rte 113) as well. 2 of my 3 kids were born at Anna Jacques Hospital, and though we moved from the Newburyport area over a decade ago, I just a few months ago changed doctors so that I no longer have to make the trip each time somebody gets sick enough to warrant a doctor visit

Newburyport is more than just the Market Square area of downtown though. Many of the streets adjacent to downtown are in the Historic District, and making changes to these buildings can be problematic (everything needs to be approved). Many of these homes are on very small city lots on very narrow streets. Very picturesque, but parking can be an issue.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,010,055 times
Where is the fish store/butcher in Newburyport?

There used to be one at Tannery II, but that closed quite awhile ago as far as I know. Now is one of those "Edibles" franchises.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:07 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,280 times
There is a butcher right over the bridge (Bridge Road) in Salisbury.

Bucciarelli's Butcher Shop & Deli | Salisbury, MA | Newburyport, MA

There is also Fowles on High Street

Fowles Gourmet Meat Market - Newburyport

Not sure about a fish shop. We like Ipswich Shellfish (DH works in Ipswich.)

— Ipswich Shellfish Group

OP-I walk all over town. As a matter of fact we only have one car since I work from home. CVS is open 24 hours and close to downtown (Pond Street.) The Daniel L Lynch Pharmacy is also on High Street. There are several cheese/wine/specialty food stores in town (Joppa Fine foods, Grand Trunk Old World Market.) Many restaurants and soup/sandwich shops. Several bakeries. Dunkin Donuts (in Richdale) and Starbucks. Black Duck and Richdale for lotto/scratch offs and the paper. Several pet food stores (Natural Dog-near Route 1,) Pawsitively Best Friends downtown. Several liquor stores with weekly craft beer and wine tastings (New England Wine and Spirits, Learys, Port Wine and Spirits. Several pubs (the Grog, Port Tavern, etc.) A small theater (The Screening Room.) Yoga, music studios, art studios/classes. Toy stores. Three book stores (Jabberwocky, The Book Rack and Middle Street Bookstore.) Post office, library, several banks, city hall, churches, schools are all easy to walk to. Many parks close by. The rail trail to walk/bike. MBTA is close. All walking distance. You could even walk/bike to Market Basket, Natural Grocer, Shaws if you wanted but we drive. You could bike to Plum Island too!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 PM

124 posts, read 233,144 times
Luvthatmouse, how do you like living there? I'm looking towards that way to live but it seems kind of isolated.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:16 PM

Not to mention many salons downtown/near downtown for hair, nails, spa, etc. Lower end to high end-for men and women. I like Interlocks.

Award winning salon just north of Boston in historic Newburyport, MA

Gyms like Fuel and Natural High.

FUEL | Fuel Training Studio

Natural High Fitness Club has Personal Training, Spinning, TRX Classes, Boot Camp, Pilates classes and Memberships, in Newburyport, MA

Sunday Farmers Market

The Newburyport Farmers' Market

So yes, you can do fine walking most places!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbee78 View Post
Luvthatmouse, how do you like living there? I'm looking towards that way to live but it seems kind of isolated.
We love it. I don't feel isolated at all and DH takes the car most days. Sometimes I will hop on the train for 2 stops and visit him for lunch in Ipswich. We have many great towns close by (Portsmouth, NH, Ipswich, Amesbury, Salem) and it only takes us 40 minutes to get to Boston. 1/2 hour to the North Shore Mall or Rockingham Mall (NH) if we want a busier area with lots of shopping. The beach is so close. I don't love the winter but we try to get away in January and March or April for some warmer weather.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:41 PM

That's great! Thanks.. It seems like there is so much to do within Beverly, Salem, Newburyport and the Gloucester area. That makes me happy. Hope I am able to find a place out there soon!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:15 AM

Amazing. I feel like I've been living in the wrong area for way too long. My kids would have a field day with all this stuff. haha thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts