U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 AM

17 posts, read 19,387 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are about to start a family and we've been searching high and low for a moderately priced house not far from Boston. We are currently renting in Milton and have a max budget of $350,000. Of course that knocks Milton off the house hunting list. Other towns close by such as Westwood, Canton etc are too pricey. I work in Boston and my husband in Westminster. A town in the middle might suffice but it's been a disappointing search.

What towns do you think we should look into? We are hoping not to get a Condo or Townhouse. We are expecting our first child in September so at the moment we can compromise on the quality of schools as we won't be looking into that till about 5 years from now.

Thanks all.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 09:15 AM

16 posts, read 46,647 times
You will need to go down farther down south on Route 24 or Route 95 to find a house. What are you looking? Easton has some beautiful homes for under $350k

Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 PM

Thanks for your response. I will look into Easton. We are also looking into Leominster, Acton, Chelsmford area.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 PM

6,294 posts, read 8,748,916 times
How does your price range knock Milton off the list? I have been exploring Milton also. I just did a quick search on another site and several cute homes popped up. You could also try offering less on ones you like in a slightly higher range.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:07 AM

17,223 posts, read 30,263,072 times
Leominster is significantly less positive for schools than Acton or Chelmsford. If you're willing and able to look at Acton/Chelmsford, I'd suggest including Littleton, too. You could do pretty well for that budget, and it's a great place for kids.
I also suggest that the days of buying for five years or so and then selling and "moving up" might be gone. It's not a given that you'd make much or any profit in that period of time. Just mentioning.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:40 PM

495neighbor,

The decent houses that I have seen for sale in Milton are at least 420K. The houses priced below 420K need extensive work or are on a major street. With the exception of the house for sale on Pagoda Street, I've driven by all the houses below 400K and it's been a disappointing trip so far. But I signed up with Trulia to email houses as they come up for sale in Milton.

Thanks for your response though.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM

brightdoglover,

We removed Leominster from our list. My husband was enticed by the low prices till he realized how far of a drive it is from Boston. The school system appear to be so-so. We'll look into Chelmsford and Littleton.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 PM

Thanks all I appreciate the responses so far.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:51 AM

5,582 posts, read 4,467,173 times
I grew up in Milton, and my mom still lives there. For around 300,000, you will be looking at run down property near the Mattapan border. There are some nice hidden gems, but you will have to accept the proximity to Mattapan (which is fine for me, but for others, not so much). The border area near Quincy is much more "desirable" because Quincy itself is seen as "less dangerous" than Mattapan. You can try East Milton for a smaller, more affordable house. It has the nice addition of being close to the supermarkets and the restaurants of Quincy. But those houses generally starts in the 400,000 and up. Milton is a great place to live...it's beautiful, tree-sy (is this a real word!?), has newly built schools etc

Another option is to look at the nice neighborhoods of Wollaston, Monclair, Squantum and Merrymount in Quincy. These are all great neighborhoods of a big city, and they have some beautiful homes too. Your price range will stretch a little bit more in these neighborhoods over Milton, but not by much. Quincy is on a building binge with a new Middle school and a brand new HS that was just completed. That, along with the new city center reconstruction promises to make it a really exciting place. I like Milton and Quincy because both the little town (Milton) and the big city (Quincy) have lots of positives going for them. But frankly, your 350,000 would be a stretch for both in finding a house big enough and nice enough for your growing family.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 AM

51 posts, read 115,425 times
From expierence....I was born and raised in N.Leominster. There are your good and bad parts. Acton is so much better. What about Bolton, Berlin, and Harvard that area?
Acton has wonderful schools! And it is also a great area!
Bolton area has a wonderful school system,aswell! It is more rural, out that way, and so beautiful! Rich in land and lots of horse back riding-since I have done a lot of that in all 3 areas! They are the best! There is a lot to do, in all 3 cities/towns! If we weren't moving to Florida, I would pick one of these to move to! Good luck and congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>