Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 04:38 PM

940 posts, read 1,935,668 times

Advertisements

I had to think about it when looking for a house, and the answer is no, never. These last couple storms were not even that significant. We were spared during Sandy, but it just shows that far worse could happen, along with gradual sea level rise.

I do agree that many people don't think about it, so I don't know if prices for oceanfront would drop yet.

Many people still don't believe in climate change and don't yet worry about sea levels rising.

Even though I am in a coastal town I am not within walking distance to the ocean, so I feel safe for the rest of my lifetime at least.

I used to live on the oceanfront for a few years and I couldn't wait to get out of there after having recurrent tsunami dreams

I think many people underestimate the power of the ocean and overestimate their safety.

But, it is good to remember that different towns have different vulnerabilities. The coastline does not face the same direction everywhere, and therefore is not evenly affected from storms. Since most storms have north-eastern wind, Plum Island, South coast and Bay side on the Cape get the most impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 09:19 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
I had to think about it when looking for a house, and the answer is no, never. These last couple storms were not even that significant. We were spared during Sandy, but it just shows that far worse could happen, along with gradual sea level rise.

I do agree that many people don't think about it, so I don't know if prices for oceanfront would drop yet.

Many people still don't believe in climate change and don't yet worry about sea levels rising.

Even though I am in a coastal town I am not within walking distance to the ocean, so I feel safe for the rest of my lifetime at least.

I used to live on the oceanfront for a few years and I couldn't wait to get out of there after having recurrent tsunami dreams

I think many people underestimate the power of the ocean and overestimate their safety.

But, it is good to remember that different towns have different vulnerabilities. The coastline does not face the same direction everywhere, and therefore is not evenly affected from storms. Since most storms have north-eastern wind, Plum Island, South coast and Bay side on the Cape get the most impact.
You Mean the south shore, the south Coast if Fall River to the Canal. South Shore is the other side of the Canal to Boston.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:03 PM

940 posts, read 1,935,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You Mean the south shore, the south Coast if Fall River to the Canal. South Shore is the other side of the Canal to Boston.
Yes, sorry, that's what I meant, South Shore for the usual nor'easter storms, like any north-east facing coasltine.

Although South Coast was close to Sandy's path but it was lucky, so there is still a chance for a big 'once in a lifetime' storm coming from the south.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:22 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It depends, The North Shore and the Upper Cape have bluffs right on the Coastline so Coastal flooding is not a large issue, even Most town centers on the south shore do not flood, only low lying areas which are rather small, like Hummaruck, Or Hull Shore Drive or Atlantic Ave in Hull.
Yeah. I can speak to Humarock and flooding. I was on the marshfield side during the no name storm in 1991. It really did some damage to a lot of houses in the flood plain area. The house I was living in at the time escaped most of the damage done to other house by the water. But I still had to evacuate since the water was about waist high outside my house. When the water receded and we could go home I crossed over to the scituate side and.......man...it was quite a sight houses knock off foundations and housed buried up to the roofs in sand. It showed me how small man is when you put up agaist natures wrath. Anyways. I would say that I still would like to live near the water (ocean) even though I know the sea can giveth and the sea can taketh away. Granted I did have a moment of pause after the 1991 storm. I think personally I would not live in humarock again, unless I was back abit (but still walking distance) from the beach. Probably say the same about for certain parts of brantrock as well. But the rest the the town seems to handle the storms and storm surges well. But that just my take from my experience.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:41 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
I think that ocean waterfront would be out at this point for me, but something walkable to beach would still be very attractive. I think that most waterfront homes are best suited for people with very hefty bank accounts. It is getting very expensive.
Do any of you need to pay bigger insurance premiums lately on North or South Shore? Is insurance zoned within a mile of a shoreline or goes less/deeper nowadays? My neighbor is selling his vacation home on Cape Cod, tired of insurance hikes, and maintenance in general.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
u betcha.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:24 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
I think that ocean waterfront would be out at this point for me, but something walkable to beach would still be very attractive. I think that most waterfront homes are best suited for people with very hefty bank accounts. It is getting very expensive.
Do any of you need to pay bigger insurance premiums lately on North or South Shore? Is insurance zoned within a mile of a shoreline or goes less/deeper nowadays? My neighbor is selling his vacation home on Cape Cod, tired of insurance hikes, and maintenance in general.
It's not just coastlines. The somewhat recent effort to update flood zone maps has identified a lot of houses near brooks, streams, and rivers that are also in high risk areas.

You can find the risk level of an address at: http://www.floodsmart.gov

I spoke with my insurance company and for high risk properties, you're looking at an additional $2700 in insurance (as a minimum). That's like an extra $30k in mortgage. So when I was looking for houses, I definitely took that into account from a financial standpoint.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:42 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
It's not just coastlines. The somewhat recent effort to update flood zone maps has identified a lot of houses near brooks, streams, and rivers that are also in high risk areas.

You can find the risk level of an address at: Flood Insurance | Flood Maps | Flood Risk | FloodSmart

I spoke with my insurance company and for high risk properties, you're looking at an additional $2700 in insurance (as a minimum). That's like an extra $30k in mortgage. So when I was looking for houses, I definitely took that into account from a financial standpoint.
Very good point. I know everyone is talking about Sandy's damage. But...a couple of years before there was a storm that hit New Jersey (Which was where I was at the time. think it was Irene?) Everyone though at first New York and New Jersey were going to get hit hard on the coast. But the storm went inland and flooded a lot of towns on rivers and streams. Also I think Vermont had some major issues with erosion with the heavy rains. Yep major flood don't just happen on the coast.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:59 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times
Yes, Vermont and Western MA got hammered in that storm. Many roads were literally washed away. A few upstream dams failed and caused a lot of problems.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:37 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
We are limited in regard to insurance carriers here on Cape so shopping around is not possible. I am about 1/4 mile from the bay and we do pay more than someone a mile inland. It's not exorbitant although I previously owned a 200 year old home so that was more costly than a new construction home. If I recall we pay more for being in a wind zone? Fortunately we are a higher elevation so even with marshy areas around, we are not in a flood zone.

I agree living on the water takes deep pockets. All but one waterfront home in my neighborhood are summer residences. If you can have a 2 million $ plus second home, I don't think the loss is as catastrophic financially or emotionally if you lost or sustained tremendous damage to your one primary residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts