U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 04:14 AM

1 posts, read 926 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've done a search on the forum to look up topics about our possible move, just to get an idea of what people say. Been reading for a while now but thought I would post something also.

Sooooo I'm Irish, husband is French, we've 2 small kids (3&4 yr old) and we currently live in Dublin, Ireland.

We've always been talking about moving, for years now. I always knew marrying a french man that we'd move one day. So here we are, having to basically make a decision about where to move to. My husband would be doing an internal transfer with his current employer. OUr current options are either Dubai and Boston. We both think that Boston offers more lifestlye-wise. If it was just down to money, Dubai would win hands down.

My DH place of work would be Burlington. I am a senior QC lab analyst so would be more than likely looking around the Cambridge area?

But my husbands current employer will not sponsor for a green card after his work visa expires. I want to get a job when there also so it would kinda be up to me to get a job that might sponsor me. I don't even know if this is an option as I'm skilled but not that skilled So we would be there for a max of 5 years, would look into what options we would have for applying for permanent residency. It's a risk.

If we went to Dubai, we know we would only stay there for 3-5 years and then onto somewhere else. But if we moved to Boston, we would probably want to stay long-term.

We consulted an immigration lawyer based in Boston and he said forget it. My DH isn't skilled enough so it's down to me to get sponsorship. We were gutted when he said that. But the other part of me says, do the 5 years, who knows what will happen in 2 yrs let alone 5 and even if it is just 5, have the experience and move on. If we just me and my DH, we would move in a heartbeat but with kids......???????????

Anyway that is just our situation. Time will tell but we are swaying more towards Boston at the minute. I might be on there more in the not too distant future
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 AM

13,942 posts, read 10,145,213 times
Sorry, we only take people whose skills include fence climbing, swimming, and running from border patrol. Preferably done at night.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:59 AM

19,132 posts, read 12,653,341 times
My wife is from Ireland and she loves it in New England. I think you will find the Boston area is mad for the Irish and very welcoming. I often joke that there are more Irish (or wanna bees) in South Boston than there is in Dublin.
Climate speaking Boston is similar to Dublin but the sun shines more and we have less rain.
How is your husbands English? America is America and there are not alot of us that speak a foreign language.
My wife also has a cousin that lives in Dubai and it is a amazing place to make money but it does have drawbacks. Alot of sand, HEAT and a culture shift.
Sadly it does feel true what MR Joshua posted, Right now the illegals are a hot topic and they are getting all the benefits where as the good folk like yourself that want to follow the law are having a hard time with it.
My vote for you and your kids would be the Boston area. You will like America just about everything is easier here than in Ireland.
Good luck

Old 03-12-2013, 01:59 PM

12,561 posts, read 23,829,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishFrenchFamily View Post
We consulted an immigration lawyer based in Boston and he said forget it. My DH isn't skilled enough so it's down to me to get sponsorship. We were gutted when he said that. But the other part of me says, do the 5 years, who knows what will happen in 2 yrs let alone 5
There is certainly discussion of reforming immigration laws, but I would not get your heart set on being able to stay in the USA.

I understand that it would be preferable to be in Boston, rather than Dubai!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>