Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live with kids?
Single family house 27 96.43%
Townhouse 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:52 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times

Advertisements

Maybe its the libertarian in me, but I would never live in a condo.

So much control and influence by other people. What if your kids have a birthday party? Where are they going to park? No one better park in Mr. Smiths spot, he has been parking there for 15 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 06:53 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Buy the single family and hire a landscaper.

The kids will enjoy having room to roam and play for years.

Eventually, you will enjoy tormenting your teens with yard work.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:00 AM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
First of all this forum is biased, because most people live in SFH. You can say the same about this whole country, and a fact that for some reason people here like to keep to themselves. I grew up in a place where everyone lived in condos and apartments, so I have a slightly different perspective.

I lived in condos with kids and in I am currently in a SFH. But that has more to do with my husband, who wouldn't even look at townhouses. Both have pros and cons.

• Most people here live in SFH, because most other people live in SFH.
  • Townhouses are looked down at and perceived as a transitional living arrangement for singles, young families and emptynesters.
  • Townhouses are usually newer, have more open floor plans and better updated finishes. From the inside a townhouse will always be nicer then SFH for the same price.
  • Often you have other amenities, like a pool or a clubhouse.
  • No yard work.
  • It's hard to keep kids in a yard over a certain age. They could ride their bikes around the townhouses and be safer then on a street. In a yard they are confined to the yard. Sounds like you have a nice area for the kids to explore. If you have some private area you can usually keep items that are removable. Kids would grow out of a stationary playground in a few years anyway.
  • You can teach them respect and to be considerate of other neighbors. Sharing a wall is not as bad as having someone underneath you, and could be a non-issue.
  • There are already a few kids there to play with. (But, if it is a high income town, you would have most familes in SFH, moderate income income towns would have more families in townhouses.)
  • Shorter commute.

We used to rent in a place with a pool, a playground, a basketball court and a clubhouse. My kids are still asking to move back there.

The cons have been already covered.

You have to listen to your gut feeling and don't listen to what other people say. Sounds like you are leaning towards the townhouse.

Also it's not for everyone. People who don't like to have close neighbors or like to give their neighbors a hard time should not live in a townhouse, but the good news is that type of people would choose a SFH, so you would have friendlier people in a townhouse by default.

Last edited by konfetka; 03-15-2013 at 07:12 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 08:11 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
First of all this forum is biased
Everyone everywhere is biased. We all see the world through a lens created by our life experiences. It takes a serious concerted effort not to be biased but even then some bias always comes through.

Quote:
I grew up in a place where everyone lived in condos and apartments, so I have a slightly different perspective.
While I didn't grow up in a condo, until recently I lived in various forms of condos for about 15 years. Whether or not condo living is a good fit for you and your family has a lot to do with your personal needs and expectations. So, I couldn't agree more with this (below). . .

Quote:
You have to listen to your gut feeling and don't listen to what other people say.
However, I couldn't disagree with you more on this point . . .

Quote:
the good news is that type of people would choose a SFH, so you would have friendlier people in a townhouse by default.
The condo dweller world is just a microcosm of society. There is the same percentages of mean, nice, and nose-y people in condos that there are in single families.

Anyway, condos do tend to offer "more" in some ways as mentioned many developments have ammenities like pools, a "party" room, a sports court, etc. Also, many condos offer more space, more ammenities, and are newer compared to single families at the same price point. However, the reason why condos offer more for your dollar is because there are sacrifices you need to make in order to live there. First, you and your family have to play by the association's rules whether you like them or not. Second, condo associations are very dense in that homes are quite close to each other and actually most commonly attached to each other. This means the possiblity of noise transfer and depending on the structure of the condo I've even experienced odor transfer from cooking. Also, when you live in a condo you agree to go into business (so to speak) with your neighbors and agree to become partners with them in many ways. My parents live in a townhouse community and one of the units caught fire a few years ago when the owners were not home. This fire caused by someone else could have easily burnt down their unit as well. It definitely did damage to the unit in between them and those owners couldn't live in their unit for a few weeks while it was being repared. All due to the actions of a neighbor. If the homes were not attached as they are in a single family environment this wouldn't have been an issue. You have a business relationship with your condo neighbors as well. If one or more of them lose their job and stop paying their association fee, the costs those dues cover don't go away and someone will need to cover them and that's going to be the other owners.

This type of lifestyle doesn't appeal to everyone and these are some major risks that you take on when you become an owner in a condo developement which is exactly why condos are lower in price than the equivalent single family home. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for in real estate.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Thanks for your responses guys. Here are the specifics so you guys can debate some more. I'd love to hear your opinions!

Townhouse: Located in Lincoln. 2200 sq.ft. upstairs plus a finished 30x25ft basement for the kids playroom. Shared walls with neighbors on both sides, although my daughters are very mellow and don't make too much noise. Living room opens up to a patio overlooking the lake and conservation land so I'm sure my daughters can find a spot to play where they won't bother the neighbors. Community playground is across the street too.

Single Family House: Located in Sudbury. We are looking at 2400-3000 sq.ft. homes in a family neighborhood.

I work in downtown Boston. I took a trial run today from the center of Sudbury and it took me 1h20m to get to work by driving to Lincoln and taking the commuter rail. I estimate living in Lincoln would cut my commute by 10-15 min so I'm still looking at over 1 hour. It currently takes me 1 hour from Natick.

As for the Sudbury vs. Lincoln debate, I know they are very different and I wouldn't mind living in either one. I just want to move to a quieter community.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:59 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Thanks for your responses guys. Here are the specifics so you guys can debate some more. I'd love to hear your opinions!

Townhouse: Located in Lincoln. 2200 sq.ft. upstairs plus a finished 30x25ft basement for the kids playroom. Shared walls with neighbors on both sides, although my daughters are very mellow and don't make too much noise. Living room opens up to a patio overlooking the lake and conservation land so I'm sure my daughters can find a spot to play where they won't bother the neighbors.

Single Family House: Located in Sudbury. We are looking at 2400-3000 sq.ft. homes in a family neighborhood.

I work in downtown Boston. I took a trial run today from the center of Sudbury and it took me 1h20m to get to work by driving to Lincoln and taking the commuter rail. I estimate living in Lincoln would cut my commute by 10-15 min so I'm still looking at over 1 hour.

As for the Sudbury vs. Lincoln debate, I know they are very different and I wouldn't mind living in either one.
What is the parking situation like at the condo?

A lot of times this is overlooked, then you try and have a birthday party of Christmas dinner and your guests have nowhere to park.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
What is the parking situation like at the condo?

A lot of times this is overlooked, then you try and have a birthday party of Christmas dinner and your guests have nowhere to park.
We have 2 spots (one is covered) and guest parking throughout the complex. The realtor who also lives there said neighbors don't mind if guests park on the private way, as long as cars can pull out.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
We have 2 spots (one is covered) and guest parking throughout the complex. The realtor who also lives there said neighbors don't mind if guests park on the private way, as long as cars can pull out.
I wouldn't put too much stock in what someone tells you what neighbors do & don't mind. Not because I think they're lying to you, but because who your neighbor is can change at any moment. The new neighbor may have a different attitude and viewpoint toward your guests parking in the street. I would want to know that there is nothing in the HOA by laws that would prevent it.

My experience is that single family homes in the 'burbs tend to appreciate more and resell easier. I would go with the SF but that's just me.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:36 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
Condos and TH are great until they are not, and when honeymoon is over so to speak, you then realize that you have married a complete stranger. People generally need to be on their best behavior and willing to cooperate for development to work. In ideal world, great. In our world, sadly more of an exception than a rule. I do not mind condos and TH in general, but I am very put off by HOA fees (often too expensive), other peoples tastes and rules, and possibility that great neighbor will move away easier, and I have to live with someone new on a regular basis (also possibly awful). What is turnaround rate in complex? Be very careful to check financial health of the community, any liens, deadbeats, big repairs coming up, etc.. Who runs the place? Are all homeowners expected to contribute their time to condo association management? Will you be able to have kids play at all outside? (You would be surprised how heavily regulated some places can be). Can you put water sprinkler outside your patio without your neighbors having a heart attack, and is the water meter separate? Are playdates outside at all possible? Will you be "ruining" the complex if you kid wants to dig a whole in the yard? Who owns the yard? Try to speak to person in charge of condo assoc. and get the feel of how kid friendly they are. All of this said, even in SF neighborhood you can bump into bad neighbors as well, but at least you control your home and yard. Fences make great neighbors sometimes, TH not so much.
So, TH or SF, booth can have their rewards and downfalls. Go with what speaks to you better. Commute wise you are better off in Lincoln, and that might be better for you at this point. Like almost anyone in this area, pick your poison. Longer commute and bigger place, easier commute but smaller yard or a home.
I am curios why do you not check Arlington where you could get nice house and smaller yard in few of the quieter sections of the town, and have much nicer commute with good schools and plenty of amenities for kids? You are running into towns with very limited tax-base and serious possibility of worse budget for schools and general expenses, and with much higher taxes in the next decade.

Last edited by kingeorge; 03-15-2013 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: flow

Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
I am curios why do you not check Arlington where you could get nice house and smaller yard in few of the quieter sections of the town, and have much nicer commute with good schools and plenty of amenities for kids? You are running into towns with very limited tax-base and serious possibility of worse budget for schools and general expenses, and with much higher taxes in the next decade.
Arlington is too crowded for me. I want an acre whether I have to share it (in Lincoln) or have it all to myself (in Sudbury). Otherwise I would just stay in Natick. We really only considered Sudbury, Lincoln and Wayland because I want my wife to be within 15 minutes of her job. It makes it easier on us if one parent works close to our kids school for pickup duty and appointments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts