Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:35 PM

5 posts, read 8,619 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm relocating to take a job in Salem, and I'm trying to figure out where I might like to live. If I can decide on a specific area, I'm looking to buy for $300K or less (condo).

I'm leaning towards either Salem or one of the areas closer in to Boston like Medford, Malden, Everett, or Chelsea. (Cambridge and Somerville seem to be out of my budget unless I rent.) The reason for being closer in to Boston would be wanting to live somewhere on the T.

Kids are not in the picture, so I'm not worried about schools. My main concern is safety. I'm a woman of color and I have lived in Washington DC, Philadelphia, and Atlanta, so I have reasonable expectations about crime, but I have always lived in solidly middle class/upper middle class areas of those cities and would like to do the same in the Greater Boston area.

I'm making a few trips up to get to know the areas, so I'd really appreciate suggestions!

Last edited by bookdoctor; 03-14-2013 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Edited to clarify real estate budget amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,112,557 times
If you're looking for middle/upper middle class, I'd rule out Malden, Everett and Chelsea. Medford might be a little sleepy if you're used to city life. Maybe Charlestown? You'd be close to N Station for commuter trains into Salem.

Personally, if I wasn't going to live IN Boston itself (Charlestown/Cambridge/Somerville included) I'd buy in Salem.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 PM

940 posts, read 1,935,839 times
Salem is hard to drive to. It doesn't have highways, so it's a lot of lights and traffic. Living somewhere nearby on the North Shore would be at least 20-30 minute drive. Living in the area you are talking about could be an hour drive in rush hour. Which wouldn't make sense, because Salem is the most desirable town on the NS for singles, things to do, restaurants and walkability, which makes being closer to Boston less necessary.

Salem would be safer and nicer then Malden, Everett or Chelsea.

If you want closer to Boston near T, but within a doable drive to Salem, I would look at Revere. It's not upper/middle class, but it's fairly safe and diverse.

Lynn has some nice and quiet areas, is very affordable and diverse, and is on the train line from Salem.

Salem is working/middle class, but anything middle/upper might be out of your price range (Swampscott, Marblehead).

Old 03-14-2013, 04:57 PM

Thanks both of you for your suggestions - this is really helpful.

Salem seems really ideal because it seems to have more of a community feel to it than the nearby areas. (And I absolutely hate driving.) The minute I walked into Gulu Gulu Cafe, I wanted to move to Salem. I'm planning to visit and drive around the North Shore this weekend to get a better sense of the area. (I have been there twice before.)

My future colleagues tend to live in Swampscott and Marblehead, but I suspect the areas are a bit more sedate than I want. Even though I've been living in cities, I'm a bit of a homebody but I still like to be able to walk to dinner or a bar. Salem has felt like a good match in that regard.

I'm just trying to cover my bases and get all the information I can, so thank you!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:31 AM

940 posts, read 1,935,839 times
Good luck!

Consider yourself very lucky to work in Salem. To give you more options in your price range I would look at Peabody, Danvers and Beverly. The are all safe working/middle class towns. You could get to downtown Salem in 10-15-20 minutes from those towns, depending on where you are.

In Swampscott and Marblehead you would also be paying a premium for schools, and that would be a waste for you.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 AM

270 posts, read 468,237 times
Swampscott and Marblehead would be great especially if you can stretch you budget a little. You will be able to get better resale value because of the superior school system. I would rule out Beverly because the reputation of It's school system. They might have the latest building or gadget but the reputation of it's school system will take a long time to recover. Most of the areas in Beverly are working class except Beverly Farm, Prides Crossing then you have the middle class (young family community ) section called Centerville. I would think resale is very important if you want to relocate years down the road. Good luck and you will like the North Shore community.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 AM

Thanks! My budget isn't really flexible but I think it'll work for condos. I've been to Peabody but it didn't make an impression like Salem did. Looking forward to checking out these options though!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Salem or Beverly sound like the right fit and will work with your $300K budget.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Salem probably has more going on than Beverly and it's a good place for singles. But Beverly has a nice little shopping area and lots of older homes that have been converted into apartments. Either one.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:32 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
I find Salem to be more alternative than diverse. From your original list, the best is West Medford. I have seen some really cute places there, close to your price range. It is safe and friendly. It has a unique history with a very established upper middle class AA community with family lines dating back as far as the Revolutionary War. If you like history, you may want to visit the Medford Historical Society (medford + historical + dotorg). I have many young single friends there. West Medford contains Tufts University and borders Somerville, Winchester and Arlington – all with town centers with unique personalities and charms. And you would be a short bicycle ride from Davis Square the most happening place for young, single people.

Downtown Medford has some quaint eating places.

East Medford east of 93 is rundown.

Malden is very international and has some pretty low priced homes and safe areas, but has had some recent crime in the downtown. I think it is more couples and young families and aging baby boomers rather than young singles. Although close to Cambridge, it has a cutoff feeling because of highway 93.

Everett mostly has families and chain restaurants and is very industrial.

Chelsea is up and coming with the arts crowd, but not quite there yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts