Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:23 PM

940 posts, read 1,927,093 times

Advertisements

Not everyone is obsessed with top school systems, and not everyone thinks that a top school system is essential for a successful future. Research shows that social skills are much more important then academics.

The one area where school systems are important is definetly real estate. Greatschools rating is based on cumulative MCAS to simplify the test scores into one simple number out of 10. It is posted on most real estate websites and many buyers use it in their house hunting. Here is the best 10th grade MCAS (English, Math, Science) for 2012 on the North Shore:

Masco 99, 98, 94
Marblehead 99,94, 87
Manchester/Essex 97, 96, 93
Hamilton/Wenham 98, 94, 90
Swampscott 97, 93, 98
Newburyport 97, 93, 90
Lynnfield 96, 90, 94
Ipswich 98, 93, 86

As you can see the overall differences are not as significant as ratings would suggest, but Masco is clearly the best.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM

270 posts, read 465,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
Not everyone is obsessed with top school systems, and not everyone thinks that a top school system is essential for a successful future. Research shows that social skills are much more important then academic..
I agree! As matter of fact, I know people who graduated with master degree don't even have any desire to join the work force. Reputation point earned.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:34 PM

157 posts, read 568,558 times
Things ARE crazy out there. Open houses I've been to pretty much everywhere in Massachusetts are mob scenes. Anything decent priced appropriately sells nearly immediately. But stuff that's overpriced sits indefinitely. For most communities, the real cut off appears to be around 750k. There are still SOME 'values' north of this price point, and people are willing to negotiate (downward) on these higher priced homes (because they have to).

While the lack of inventory on middle priced homes (450-650k) is obviously putting pressure on the supply/demand price see-saw, the same isn't true for entry level homes and higher end houses. People aren't making more money, and speculation isn't to the point where everyone is buying real estate as a sure fire way to build quick equity. Instead, people are looking at houses as if they were... <GASP>... homes! and not just investment vehicles!

IE, people can't afford to, or don't see the value in upgrading their home if they already have one, and at the same time aren't going to be able to make a buck on the sale; there's little or less motivation to move fiscally and culturally.

So in otherwords, I think it's easier to look at the reasons people sell homes in general and see how the reality of today compares with 10 years ago and it's impact on inventory levels:

(in no particular order)
1. Death - Unchanged -if anything mortality improvements is decreasing inventory)
2. Downsizers - Unchanged - I'd consider this to be relatively static vs 10 years ago)
3. Upgrade in size/quality/attributes of home - Decreasing - I'd say people are less apt to move for stature/desire for better home given sour taste in their mouth left from the recession).
4. Upgrade in Location - unchanged - (commutes, schools, put pressure on this. I'd say this remains static)
5. Relocation - Increasing - (with an uptick in the economy I'd say this is increasing).
6. Job Loss/Foreclosure - Decreasing - (with an uptick in the economy I'd say this is decreasing).
7. Family change/divorce (unchanged)
8. Profit taking (sell home for more than it was purchased for) - Decreasing - (due to bubble burst, time will tell if recent short term gains are due to interest rates or purely short-term supply/demand conditions)
9. Can afford more house then before - Decreased and Static (for now) Given that economic improvement hasn't incrementally moved salaries upwards yet, I'd consider this a lowering inventory flexibility greatly).
10. health issues - Unchanged - owners with health conditions making SFHs less practical to maintain, etc.
11. Interest Rates low - Decreasing - Rates are low, and that is pushing renters into the market especially given that rental market is perhaps even more rediculous than the buyers market.

So basically, almost every incentive or reason to sell a home is static, lowered, or negated at this point and time vs normal conditions or a true bull market with the exception of interest rates being at historic lows.

So what happens when rates increase 100 bps over hte next 12-24 months? I'm not saying it WILL increase a full percentage, but WHAT if it does? Will the economy and salaries keep pace with this? I'm sure the Fed hopes that it will, but only time will tell. If it doesn't keep pace, then the recent increases are indeed a mini-bubble. On the flip side, if the market does continue to expand and businesses put their cash reserves into the market to spur on growth... inventory concerns aside, this is still a great time to buy.

Disclaimer - I am NOT a Realtor or Economist and don't really know what I'm talking about

Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
I agree! As matter of fact, I know people who graduated with master degree don't even have any desire to join the work force. Reputation point earned.
Being a mother is a hardest and most rewarding job in the world, I have no desire to delegate that responsibility to babysitters.

Parental involvement in early years is a far superior investment then an overpriced school district.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:46 PM

79 posts, read 224,760 times
Quote:
Being a mother is a hardest and most rewarding job in the world, I have no desire to delegate that responsibility to babysitters.

Parental involvement in early years is a far superior investment then an overpriced school district.
What does this have to do with North Shore craziness again?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:54 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,584,490 times
Quote:
According to Greatschools.org:

Manchester Essex HS: 7
Swampscott HS: 8
Hamilton-Wenham: 9
Marblehead HS: 9
Lynnfield HS: 9
Masconomet HS: 10

This is based on MCAS comparison across the state.

So, Masco is the only 10 on the North Shore, so it's time to pack up and move to Topsfield!

I wonder if the number of students enrolling in private schools vs public schools for each of these towns has any impact on the ratings.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonMassSAHM View Post
What does this have to do with North Shore craziness again?
As much as this:

Quote:
Apparently, when some people loose an argument, all they have left is to turn to personal attacks.

You are asking the wrong person, again, I am not the one who steered this off topic.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:22 PM

79 posts, read 224,760 times
Quote:
As much as this:

Apparently, when some people loose an argument, all they have left is to turn to personal attacks.

You are asking the wrong person, again, I am not the one who steered this off topic.
I think you were the one who digressed by saying how school doesn't measure ones future success and Superleggera just went and agree with you. What's wrong with that? Don't take it so personally! I am sure Superleggera was just stating his/her own personal experience.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:19 PM

101 posts, read 247,920 times
Quote:
Not everyone is obsessed with top school systems, and not everyone thinks that a top school system is essential for a successful future. Research shows that social skills are much more important then academics.

The one area where school systems are important is definetly real estate. Greatschools rating is based on cumulative MCAS to simplify the test scores into one simple number out of 10. It is posted on most real estate websites and many buyers use it in their house hunting. Here is the best 10th grade MCAS (English, Math, Science) for 2012 on the North Shore:

Masco 99, 98, 94
Marblehead 99,94, 87
Manchester/Essex 97, 96, 93
Hamilton/Wenham 98, 94, 90
Swampscott 97, 93, 98
Newburyport 97, 93, 90
Lynnfield 96, 90, 94
Ipswich 98, 93, 86

As you can see the overall differences are not as significant as ratings would suggest, but Masco is clearly the best.
THAN

...more important THAN academics. Gotta love irony.

But you are right, studying is for losers. It is much more important to go a party than work on your chemistry lab report. Unless you post the actual studies you are referring to, your thesis is just opinion. I guarantee you can't find one conclusion that says "social skills are much more important than academics".

Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonMassSAHM View Post
I think you were the one who digressed by saying how school doesn't measure ones future success and Superleggera just went and agree with you. What's wrong with that? Don't take it so personally! I am sure Superleggera was just stating his/her own personal experience.
You missed the part where S. suggested to find me a rental in Topsfield, that's why I said that not everyone is obsessed with schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts