Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:43 PM

79 posts, read 263,344 times

Advertisements

Could you fill me in on Marlborough? What are its safe/unsafe areas?

Let's say, just as a hypothetical situation, I were to rent, not buy, there. Would have a car, and be working in the metro west area. The area of Marlborough near the library looks like it would be a good walkable area to live in, but I've heard the Lincoln Street neighborhood is not the safest. The part of the city over near the Sudbury border is nicer, but naturally, more expensive. The city appeals to me because it has less expensive rentals, and is still close to Route 9, 20, the Pike, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:08 PM

278 posts, read 703,131 times
The center of town is a hole. The outskirts are actually quite nice.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
I wouldn't rent there. When I first moved to Mass, I needed to rent in that area and I chose Hudson instead. Much safer with comparable rents (at least it was back then). The one complex I considered in Marlboro was called Jefferson something, but it's on the other side of 495 across from Solomon Pond Mall.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 AM

Most of the nicer larger apartment complexes in Marlboro are in the outer areas, which are generally nice neighborhoods. Those areas of Marlboro are comparable to Hudson.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:55 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
I looked at many apartments in Marlborough before I bought. Most of those rentals off of Route 20 were in bad condition, with a transient population and this was quite awhile ago. Downtown Marlborough has its ups and downs depending on what large corporation decides to settle there or leave. Several years ago when Fidelity moved out and 3Com was acquired by HP, it was in a downward spiral. It may be on the way up again as TJMaxx moved part of its operations there and Boston Scientific is scheduled to relocate their HQ there. Marlborough has some good restaurants especially Brazilian and more than a few dive bars. Downtown Hudson is a bit shady in spots, so you need to be careful there too. You might add Framingham and Westborough to your rental search.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 PM

341 posts, read 672,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I looked at many apartments in Marlborough before I bought. Most of those rentals off of Route 20 were in bad condition, with a transient population and this was quite awhile ago. Downtown Marlborough has its ups and downs depending on what large corporation decides to settle there or leave. Several years ago when Fidelity moved out and 3Com was acquired by HP, it was in a downward spiral. It may be on the way up again as TJMaxx moved part of its operations there and Boston Scientific is scheduled to relocate their HQ there. Marlborough has some good restaurants especially Brazilian and more than a few dive bars. Downtown Hudson is a bit shady in spots, so you need to be careful there too. You might add Framingham and Westborough to your rental search.

Well...glad I read this, was considering this area after being out of MA of 10 yrs.....

Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 PM

23,546 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Marlborough is not dangerous AT ALL. Some less than desirables in a few neighborhoods yes, but let's be realistic here.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Marlborough is not dangerous AT ALL. Some less than desirables in a few neighborhoods yes, but let's be realistic here.
exactly.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 AM

513 posts, read 695,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Pretty much this. I rented an apartment where I could hit the Lincoln inn by throwing a rock if I wanted to. That is generally considered the "bad" section of Marlborough and I never felt unsafe at all. Even walking by myself at 2 or 3 am. The crime rate for Marlborough is very low, I truly have no idea how it got a bad rep for crime. The Lincoln inn and some of the surrounding areas look like a dump, but it is far from unsafe.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:20 PM

513 posts, read 695,705 times
I was kind of hoping the Marlborough bashers would explain their case
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts