Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:33 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times

Advertisements

I have to leave here first. I'm done here. I can't live with family that is against my self interests, either. Even if there was someone I could stay with in or around boston, it'd be so much easier for me because the subways run until midnight, that would be perfect for me. If I'm not able to do that, then I'd like to get on a greyhound and go to another state. Homelessness is unavoidable to me, anyways. Either I do something like that, or wait for snow in the sahara.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:35 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I have to leave here first. I'm done here.
Sure you are

Old 03-26-2014, 02:39 PM

Leave the area, that is. Now stop the harrassment.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
By the way, nobody on this anonymous forum is going to meet you in person and offer you a job if that is what you were hoping. You don't seem to really be looking for any advice on here.
Maybe not offer me a job, but to see that my situation is real and talk. I'll show you what happens when you walk in somewhere to apply for a job, and what happens when you apply online [nothing].

Old 03-31-2014, 08:04 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times
Education seems to be the solution for everything in a place like Massachusetts but it is not. Lots of "educated" people out of of work and struggling. Common sense, discipline, self awareness and having goals are much more useful than education in todays economy.

The politics of a place like Massachusetts are questionable. Lots of "good intention" that ends up backfiring. Lots of people with their heads in clouds unable to see the forest because the trees are in the way. Lots of people living in their own little world bowing down to "big brother". It is a farce for the most part. The state trying to protect people from themselves when the people's actions are what causes the problems. ???? WTF

Massachusetts particularly Boston and the metro area is the definition of "rat race"

Don't set your goals too high to start. Get a job, any job, and work the job the best that you can. You will learn something. Put your priorities in order, keep your head out of the clouds.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:12 PM

You're exactly right and that's the exact feeling I have on Massachusetts. Massachusetts is not a thriving state at all. We are far from it, and we are one of the most anti-business states in the nation. They don't call it Taxachusetts for nothing.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:31 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Massachusett's economy is one of the most vibrant in the United States according to independent analyses. Growth is average, but we're starting from a good base in employment and wages.

Taxachusetts has also been shown to be false. We do not tax a lot that many states tax (food and clothing aren't taxed in man states) and our sales tax is fairly low in general. We're not near the top, we're actually right in the middle at 20 out of 50 in total tax burden.

Moving may help you, if you move to a low skill / low COL state, but Mass is doing well.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
If you think it's greener pastures in the south do some research on the unemployment figures. Why do you think competition for entry level low paying jobs would be any better there? Look at the numbers that have moved to North Dakota from the south because there were jobs. While you might think people are more welcoming to the homeless and sleeping outside in warmer weather is easier, you aren't seeing the facts as they are or realizing the number of people experiencing hard times in these areas. There are lots of road side panhandlers in some of these cities. It has made at least some people view all struggling folks as fakes and they tend to take a dim view of the homeless dampening the cities attractiveness to tourists. It's hot and humid in the summer in the south, it's not an easy road no matter where ever you end up homeless. Many of these people have very sad stories, addictions and mental health problems. Many of the small southern towns have a great deal of crime for their size, you don't want to end up a robbery victim or worse. You simply see someplace else as better because you have had no luck where you are. Rather than save up and go to school you continue to chase your tail looking for a dead end low paying job of some kind. How much do you suppose you could have made shoveling this past winter, you all got a lot of snow. Whatever odd jobs you could get, mowing, weeding, trimming, washing cars, going to the store for people that have a hard time getting out and so on would help you save for school. And without blowing more time and energy on a well worn path that will not make life better in the long run.

The dumbest thing you could do is blow all your money chasing some minimum wage job in a place where you have no friends or family. You'd be better off playing the lottery than doing that. If you want to get a better idea of the struggle on the street, watch the Invisible People interviews. They would think you had taken leave of your senses to knowingly put yourself in a position where you will end up homeless. Invisible People

I honestly don't know why you post here when you don't seem to be open to advice that people give. I guess it's just a place for you to vent. If you continue to put off school as the goal and focus on moving you will definitely see a change, but it will not be a positive one. You will see your money go quickly and your comfort zone gone. Life may be frustrating now but alone and in a strange place with no one to trust or depend on if need be, it can be much worse.

Read this article that highlights the problems of low income people trying to make ends meet in Tennessee. Look at the facts and the numbers of those now in low paying jobs today. From that article. Today’s low-wage workers are also more educated, with 41 percent having at least some college, up from 29 percent in 2000. “Minimum-wage and low-wage workers are older and more educated than 10 or 20 years ago, yet they’re making wages below where they were 10 or 20 years ago after inflation", according to John Schmitt of the Center for Economic Policy Research. It's not easy there either and I can't see you having better luck in the south based on the number looking for jobs and struggling.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/bu...-out.html?_r=0

Old 04-04-2014, 11:18 AM

I've been subscribed to invisiblepeople for almost a year now. I'm not putting off anything, I just need things to be in the right place. I am open to advice, but unfortunately all the advice given is dead end and doesn't work. I already tried calling back on applications and I get yelled at and brushed off. What excuse do you guys have for the bad behavior employers have? Nothing. You don't care how they play games with people like me in the hiring process.

I tried looking for odd jobs and snow shoveling jobs all winter and couldn't find anything. I got 0 calls and responses to ads I put out. I even tried responding to people who needed stuff done, and got no response. Someone wanted me to help them move and said they would call me and never did a month ago. This happens to me 99% of the time. People have 0 common courtesy with me. When I follow up on job applications I get these rude people with bad attitudes on the other end.

The culture and attitude people have here is disgusting, and contradictory. Please don't call people lazy if you can't even pick up the phone and call someone for an interview.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:48 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
There are 29 pages of whining and excuses on why the world doesn't work for you. When are you going to get off your behind take charge of your life and MAKE things happen for you. Nobody is going to hand you anything you need to actively and aggressively go out and get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts