Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I hope you don't mind that I've been playing a bit of "Devil's Advocate" with you.
Haha, not at all. I find those are the most useful posts because I tend to do a lot of my own research anyways and don't need people to tell me things that I can look up myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 PM

160 posts, read 571,666 times
Southboro is a great town. I grew up in Sudbury, and it may seem closer, but accessibility to Boston really depends on your location in the town. The more ritzy neighborhoods (on average) are North Sudbury, and that is definitely, without question a longer commute than Southborough. The best commute from Sudbury would be south of rte 20 (on the Framingham, or Wayland lines.

Southborough is really accessible. I have a friend who moved from Framingham west to Southborough and he actually said his commute was quicker and easier because he was just west of the exit 12 exit on the pike, where there is less traffic on rte 9 east and you avoid getting tied up in Natick traffic. My husband takes the commuter rail from Southborough now (we live in Westborough) and it is terrific. About an hour commute door to door. His only gripe is the traffic getting around the train station. When he drives to Boston (from Westborough), he typically drives down to exit 12, rather than getting on 495 to the pike. It is just as quick.

There is not a lot to do in Southborough itself, but it is so close to Westborough and Framingham along rte 9, that it can easily take the advantage of everything to do in those towns. You tend to become friendly with people in all the surrounding 'boro towns for that reason. When I sit in waiting rooms for ballet or gymnastics, I am always talking to people from southborough, northborough, hopkinton, shrewsbury etc. and most of them live only 10 minutes away.

I do think that the towns along 128 have always been the ones that come to mind when people think of the Boston commute, prestigious schools etc. However, with the cost of housing and congestion, people are definitely taking advantage of the towns along 495. These towns are very affluent as well, with good schools etc. as you can see by the housing costs, tax rates, good schools and pricey car dealerships opening up here. I think we identify ourselves more with Boston than Worcester (at least my friends and I do) even though we take advantage of some really great restaurants in Worcester. It just doesn't have the same ambiance.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 PM

BTW - a lot of Southborough residents shop at Stop and Shop on Lyman in Westborough, and I think that a Price Chopper (I think?) opened up in Hopkinton? They may be closer depending on where you live in the town.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblumberg View Post
BTW - a lot of Southborough residents shop at Stop and Shop on Lyman in Westborough, and I think that a Price Chopper (I think?) opened up in Hopkinton? They may be closer depending on where you live in the town.
I believe there is a new Price Chopper in Hopkinton, but there's a pretty new looking one in Shrewsbury right off RT 9 near the town line. I drove by it on my way to sign up a listing in Shrewsbury today.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblumberg View Post
Southboro is a great town. I grew up in Sudbury, and it may seem closer, but accessibility to Boston really depends on your location in the town. The more ritzy neighborhoods (on average) are North Sudbury, and that is definitely, without question a longer commute than Southborough. The best commute from Sudbury would be south of rte 20 (on the Framingham, or Wayland lines.

Southborough is really accessible. I have a friend who moved from Framingham west to Southborough and he actually said his commute was quicker and easier because he was just west of the exit 12 exit on the pike, where there is less traffic on rte 9 east and you avoid getting tied up in Natick traffic. My husband takes the commuter rail from Southborough now (we live in Westborough) and it is terrific. About an hour commute door to door. His only gripe is the traffic getting around the train station. When he drives to Boston (from Westborough), he typically drives down to exit 12, rather than getting on 495 to the pike. It is just as quick.

There is not a lot to do in Southborough itself, but it is so close to Westborough and Framingham along rte 9, that it can easily take the advantage of everything to do in those towns. You tend to become friendly with people in all the surrounding 'boro towns for that reason. When I sit in waiting rooms for ballet or gymnastics, I am always talking to people from southborough, northborough, hopkinton, shrewsbury etc. and most of them live only 10 minutes away.

I do think that the towns along 128 have always been the ones that come to mind when people think of the Boston commute, prestigious schools etc. However, with the cost of housing and congestion, people are definitely taking advantage of the towns along 495. These towns are very affluent as well, with good schools etc. as you can see by the housing costs, tax rates, good schools and pricey car dealerships opening up here. I think we identify ourselves more with Boston than Worcester (at least my friends and I do) even though we take advantage of some really great restaurants in Worcester. It just doesn't have the same ambiance.
What a great post. In Sudbury we are looking at any houses within a mile of Rt-20. I don't want to get too far north for the same reason you mentioned in your post - it's just too far.

Does your husband take the Southboro commuter rail to save some money on the monthly pass? Maybe I'll see him later this year if/when I move!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:31 PM

21 posts, read 39,201 times
My wife grew up in Southborough (90's) after moving from Hopkinton. Her parents both drove into Boston, and that was a much better commute. She really enjoyed living there, but did not go to school in town.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM

Thanks! He actually takes the Southborough commuter rail to save time - although the money is nice too. We are about equidistant to both train stops and the Southborough commuter rail comes in 10 minutes earlier (or later) in the morning!

Good luck with your search and you will have to keep us posted with what ends up working best for your family!

Old 09-26-2014, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,306 times
I just moved from sudbury to southborough because I bought a beautiful antique stone house .i paid less and discovered that the drive to Boston is shorter because I avoid rt 20 lol you see the distance is a shorter because of the quick rt to 9 then bang I'm on the pike so it's much better and faster! Having really nice private schools in town makes it all the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts