U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 08:20 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,193,126 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I started another thread recently which helped me narrow my house search to Sudbury, but I realized Southboro would also work for me if the location is north of Rt-9 around the Sudbury reservoir. I've read several threads that compare Southboro to the other 'boros and Shrewsbury, but it doesn't seem like anyone has cross-shopped Southboro with Sudbury. Can anyone tell me how the schools compare to Sudbury? I know they are comparable in terms of test scores, but what about other aspects like class sizes, age of facilities, etc.? Does it have a history of approving or rejecting Tax Overrides? Are there a lot of young families in town or does it have an aging population?

I haven't heard much about Southboro to be honest, but the median list price for a house in Southboro right now is $629k. Sounds high enough to be an 'exclusive' town, but why haven't I heard anyone at work raving about it? I always hear the same old positive things about "Wayland, Wellesley, Weston, Sudbury, Sherborn, Lincoln, Needham" etc. Is this because Southboro more closely relates to Worcester and not Boston? The daily commute for me would actually be quicker to the financial district from Southboro due to the commuter rail being right in town. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 12,785,612 times
Southborough is pretty similar to a Wayland, Lincoln, or a Sudbury. It seems that's your type of vibe so I would imagine you would be comfortable there. However, Sudbury has a bit more going on than Southborough and many of the other towns mentioned.

I think the reason you don't hear a lot about Southborugh is that it is further away from Boston than any of the other towns you've listed. I wouldn't necessarily say it identifies with Worcester but it's far enough out that it's often not the first choice of many Boston bound commuters.

If it works for you though (commute wise) and you like the town there's no reason not to give it a shot.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:37 PM

Thanks Mike. I'll be going to an open house there tomorrow and will check out the town a little more. Our pediatrician is at Southboro Medical so we've spent a lot of time there, but never in a residential setting. It helps that houses seem to be at least $200k cheaper than Sudbury without sacrificing a lot in my mind. Except maybe prestige, but who cares. Better to spend $600k than $800k for the same thing right?

Old 03-23-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Thanks Mike. I'll be going to an open house there tomorrow and will check out the town a little more. Our pediatrician is at Southboro Medical so we've spent a lot of time there, but never in a residential setting. It helps that houses seem to be at least $200k cheaper than Sudbury without sacrificing a lot in my mind. Except maybe prestige, but who cares. Better to spend $600k than $800k for the same thing right?
I'm not sure I'd say they're the same thing. They're both quiet, upscale suburbs with well regarded school systems but that's where the similarities end.

I would encourage you to take a look at Southborough and decide if it works for you from a lifestyle, a commuting, and financial viewpoint. I would encourage you as well to look at how both towns have done over the last 5 years in terms of real estate value. As they say in the financial services industry "past performance is not a guarantee of future returns" but many smart people have said "history tends to repeat itself." It's nice to have at least a little bit of an idea that if you put your money into a house that you'll get it back. I'll have to look up the stats and see which town has done better, but my guess is Sudbury due to its closer proximity to Boston.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:52 PM

4,394 posts, read 5,848,642 times
According to mapquest, there's virtually no difference in proximity to Boston. Two routes to Boston from Sudbury show commute times of 38 and 45 minutes, 22 and 26 miles respectively. From Southboro, it shows 36 and 51 minutes for the same routes, and 27 and 26 minutes respectively. Southboro also looks like more of a direct route, too. My guess would be that Sudbury is a little bigger and is therefore more highly touted. OP, you are right in that in Boston, Southboro is not really as reknown because it is still considered more of a Central MA town, being in Worcester County. Southboro is really kind of a silent gem of the area because it is surrounded by much larger communities, and not considered part of Greater Boston.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
According to mapquest, there's virtually no difference in proximity to Boston. Two routes to Boston from Sudbury show commute times of 38 and 45 minutes, 22 and 26 miles respectively. From Southboro, it shows 36 and 51 minutes for the same routes, and 27 and 26 minutes respectively. Southboro also looks like more of a direct route, too. My guess would be that Sudbury is a little bigger and is therefore more highly touted. OP, you are right in that in Boston, Southboro is not really as reknown because it is still considered more of a Central MA town, being in Worcester County. Southboro is really kind of a silent gem of the area because it is surrounded by much larger communities, and not considered part of Greater Boston.
So . . . Sudbury is closer to Boston exactly as I said in my post. I would definitely agree that being a part of Worcester County makes a difference as well and that gives people the perception that it's even further out than it is.

I think there's a bit more to do in Sudbury, but Southborough is a really lovely town. Explore both and see which works best for you.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:25 PM

227 posts, read 1,037,446 times
It is a good town to live in.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:51 PM

4,394 posts, read 5,848,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
So . . . Sudbury is closer to Boston exactly as I said in my post. I would definitely agree that being a part of Worcester County makes a difference as well and that gives people the perception that it's even further out than it is.

I think there's a bit more to do in Sudbury, but Southborough is a really lovely town. Explore both and see which works best for you.
My point is that they are virtually the same distance. Depending on which route you take, Southboro can be closer. If anything Southboro is a more direct route.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
My point is that they are virtually the same distance. Depending on which route you take, Southboro can be closer. If anything Southboro is a more direct route.
I agree. I just mapped Natick to Boston and it was 31 minutes. Southboro to Boston was 35 minutes. It definitely feels further away than it really is.

The commute to Boston would be about the same for me from either Sudbury or Southboro, but Southboro has a train station in town so it's more convenient. 5 minute drive or walk depending on where I live and then I just sit on the train for 60 minutes while reading a book.

I think Southboro is closer to shopping in either Framingham or Westborough than Sudbury is, but Sudbury has many restaurants along Rt-20 vs. Southboro which has the usual pizza/sub shop, Chinese takeout, an Italian restaurant and not much else. I was also disappointed to find out there is no supermarket in town! Closest one is 10 minutes to the Stop & Shop in Framingham.

In terms of schools, I also think they are comparable but Southboro has a more small-town feel. There is only 1 school for each grade: 1 elem for K-1, 1 elem for 2-3, 1 elem for 4-5 and 1 middle for 6-8. All kids are bused to Northboro for high school (Algonquin Regional HS).

The real estate I spoke to today lives in Southboro. She told me Southboro is a town with a lot of transplants. People move there for the schools then move out once their kids go to college. I couldn't believe she actually said "there are very few townies here." I don't know why she would say something like that to someone she just met - maybe it was because I am Chinese so she figured I wasn't from the area or she saw my new Audi SUV parked out front and assumed I was a snob and would be concerned with such things. I don't know. Anyway, when I got home I found the census data for median family income to confirm what she said.
Southboro - 164k
Sudbury - 173k
MikePRU: just for kicks since I know you will eventually read this, I looked up the stat for a well-to-do suburb closer to Boston. Needham was 160k. All are very comparable, so I can only assume that people with well-paying jobs move to all 3 towns based on personal needs whether it be town vibe or location to jobs.

I definitely enjoyed my visit to Southboro today and have put it down on my short list of towns to look in. No town is perfect, so it's just a matter of finding the right balance. If I had to sum it up with one phrase, I'd say Southboro feels like a town that's stuck in the 1950's (in a good way!)

Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I agree. I just mapped Natick to Boston and it was 31 minutes. Southboro to Boston was 35 minutes. It definitely feels further away than it really is.
I would encourage you before settling on a particular town to do some "dry runs" of your commute from each. Today's mapping technology is awesome but it's not always accurate when it comes to commuting during rush hour.

Quote:
The commute to Boston would be about the same for me from either Sudbury or Southboro, but Southboro has a train station in town so it's more convenient. 5 minute drive or walk depending on where I live and then I just sit on the train for 60 minutes while reading a book.
Letting someone else do the driving is REALLY nice especially if you live close enough to the station where you don't have to pay to park. I know this is one thing that attracts a lot of people to Needham. We have an obscene amount of commuter rail stations for a town of this size.

I do have some clients who have moved to Sudbury and take the commuter rail from other towns. Depending on where you are in Sudbury and where you're going in Boston, it's not a bad way to commute.

Quote:
I think Southboro is closer to shopping in either Framingham or Westborough than Sudbury is, but Sudbury has many restaurants along Rt-20 vs. Southboro which has the usual pizza/sub shop, Chinese takeout, an Italian restaurant and not much else. I was also disappointed to find out there is no supermarket in town! Closest one is 10 minutes to the Stop & Shop in Framingham.
Sudbury has some GREAT restaurants. Some of them happen to be asian cuisine like Fugakyu (sushi) and Lotus Blossum (Chinese). Also, I was shocked to learn several years ago that there is a cigar bar in Sudbury. So, there's a little of everything in town which is nice.

Quote:
In terms of schools, I also think they are comparable but Southboro has a more small-town feel. There is only 1 school for each grade: 1 elem for K-1, 1 elem for 2-3, 1 elem for 4-5 and 1 middle for 6-8. All kids are bused to Northboro for high school (Algonquin Regional HS).
That's a lot of switching facilities.

Quote:
when I got home I found the census data for median family income to confirm what she said.
Southboro - 164k
Sudbury - 173k
MikePRU: just for kicks since I know you will eventually read this, I looked up the stat for a well-to-do suburb closer to Boston. Needham was 160k. All are very comparable, so I can only assume that people with well-paying jobs move to all 3 towns based on personal needs whether it be town vibe or location to jobs.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

I hope you don't mind that I've been playing a bit of "Devil's Advocate" with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts