U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,277 times

Advertisements

Me and my family will be moving to Newton, MA very soon, I would like to know if anyone knows how it is to live in Newton, MA and how is the school System there. Thank you for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM

109 posts, read 311,340 times
Newton is a great town with good schools and plenty to do. It's very close to Boston and yet has good businesses and restaurants right in town. Have you been to Newton before? You should take a visit!

Old 03-29-2013, 01:31 PM

8,251 posts, read 12,797,112 times
I lived in Newton for 10 years. It was a little "big" for me so I moved next door to Needham which is quite a bit smaller. This may or may not be useful information for you.

Newton is one of the larger suburbs in the area and is actually a city made up of 13 different villages. Every village is different and they range from more dense/urban feeling to suburban. There's a lot of shops/restaurants and even some smaller malls in Newton. Some of the villages even have their own "town center" area. Newton also has great highway access and lots of public transportation options. The school system is very well regarded, but some parents complain that the schools are crowded. Additionally, many of the school facilities in Newton are old, but yesterday the residents voted to pass a tax over ride part of which will go toward replacing/updating several school buildings.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:52 PM

124 posts, read 221,213 times
I have lived in Newton for about 6 years now. It's a nice area but very expensive. There are things to do for the kids. The school that my daughter is in is really great. She has a wonderful teacher.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:00 PM

132 posts, read 200,314 times
Lived in Newton for 3 years before I move to Lexington. Newton is very convenient - commuting to Boston is great, lots of shopping, dining options (from high end fancy dining to fast food chains) for a denser suburb. As MikePRU said it's technically a city so it is big and divided into 13 villages. I wanted a little more space so I moved away but Newton itself is wonderful.

As for the school, it's very well regarded, has very good test score year in year out, good diversity, but possibly needs major funding for school maintenance/rebuilt down the road. I cannot believe the people in Newton not pay up though so school will probably improve but tax maybe higher than now down the road.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claiz View Post
As for the school, it's very well regarded, has very good test score year in year out, good diversity, but possibly needs major funding for school maintenance/rebuilt down the road. I cannot believe the people in Newton not pay up though so school will probably improve but tax maybe higher than now down the road.
Taxes are going up VERY soon. As I mentioned in my other post here, there was a special election yesterday and the voters passed a tax override. Some of the money is ear marked for road repairs but some is also intended for school facility repair/replacement.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 PM

132 posts, read 200,314 times
MikePRU - you are absolutely right and I am aware of the tax override. I am afraid though that won't be enough though. The override is ear marked for a couple elementary school rebuilt/repair but the scope needed for the district probably is bigger. My guess is they will need similar action down the road in another 4-5 years.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claiz View Post
MikePRU - you are absolutely right and I am aware of the tax override. I am afraid though that won't be enough though. The override is ear marked for a couple elementary school rebuilt/repair but the scope needed for the district probably is bigger. My guess is they will need similar action down the road in another 4-5 years.
Taxes only go in one direction.

Even though property values seem to continually rise in a place like Newton the spending seems to out pace the increase in revenues. Newton's last mayor also did some pretty fiscally irresponsible things which this mayor seems to be trying to repair. So, Newton is currently digging itself out of a hole so to speak.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:14 AM
miu

17,683 posts, read 38,580,612 times
The problem with Newton is its excellent public school system. This causes the majority of the incoming new residents to be ones with children... and this influx of more students is causing our school system to be overwhelmed. Yes, the override passes, but 47% of us voted against it. Newton is more than just a school system. And the increase in taxes are punishing those of us no using the public schools.

I think that soon, families need to pay for use of the schools annually on a per child basis. At least as much as it costs to license a dog for a year. We also need to make sure that each child is legitimately eligible to be using our schools and the parent not borrowing someone else's address. Boston also needs to reimburse us for their METCO students using our schools.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 AM

21 posts, read 37,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The problem with Newton is its excellent public school system. This causes the majority of the incoming new residents to be ones with children... and this influx of more students is causing our school system to be overwhelmed.

We also need to make sure that each child is legitimately eligible to be using our schools and the parent not borrowing someone else's address. Boston also needs to reimburse us for their METCO students using our schools.
Similar problem in Brookline - METCO, out of town and brookline school employee families.

Boston does reimburse some, but to the level of actual costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts