U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2013, 05:03 PM
 
160 posts, read 467,575 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

Hi,
I got an list of issues written down post-inspection. I've given below the list of items - to be replaced - for which I'm trying to get a fair value estimate that I can factor (as credit) in when I go to negotiate with the seller.

House is 4bd 2 ba 2100 sq ft slab home

1. Air conditioning condenser & air handler (5-6ton?)
2. Gas-based hot water boiler(30 gallon)
3. Bathroom exhausts vents into attic. Need to get this vented out.
4. Roof construction is poor so even though - as per seller - roof is about 13yrs old I expect to 've it changed in about 5-7yrs
5. There are some wooden support posts in the porch that have rotten from the inside. Cost to get them replaced.

I've got some 'ball-park' estimates from my RE agent & in the process of getting quotes from prof's but wanted a home owner perspective

Thanks for reading my post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 PM
 
544 posts, read 1,226,485 times
Reputation: 468
As for the AC unit, go with the 5 ton with that much square footage. Bathroom fans need to get vented outside for sure. I would check for more damage in the attic if they have been venting moisture from the bathroom. Really look into what caused the rotten porch posts as that is a young house. I would be very careful movin forward.

I am in the construction world and a home owner. Careful friend. Sounds like some shoddy construction and many short cuts
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2013, 05:47 PM
 
160 posts, read 467,575 times
Reputation: 49
Thanks for your insights, Bob. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lanata View Post
As for the AC unit, go with the 5 ton with that much square footage.
Would the AC handler 've to be of similar size (ie., a 5ton ac unit shall require a 5ton ac handler). What would be a fair value for the approximate cost to install (parts + labor) the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lanata View Post
Bathroom fans need to get vented outside for sure. I would check for more damage in the attic if they have been venting moisture from the bathroom.
There were no visible signs of mold but what other kinda damages would we 've to look for in the attic. Do you 've an idea on how much it would take to get this vented out. I've a rough quote of ~2k for this issue.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lanata View Post
Really look into what caused the rotten porch posts as that is a young house. I would be very careful movin forward.

I am in the construction world and a home owner. Careful friend. Sounds like some shoddy construction and many short cuts
What more can I do to loo into this issue? Structural/termite inspection. What's the average shelf life of such porch posts? I'm in MA.

Are there chances of this rotting spreading to other areas of the structure or are these things generally localized?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2013, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Needham, MA
7,448 posts, read 11,603,701 times
Reputation: 6663
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_junta View Post
There were no visible signs of mold but what other kinda damages would we 've to look for in the attic. Do you 've an idea on how much it would take to get this vented out. I've a rough quote of ~2k for this issue.
To cut a hole in the house and attach a vent hose someone gave you a quote of $2K? Seems excessive. I'm glad you're looking for realistic numbers to bring to the seller because in this market if you're unrealistic with your expectations after the inspection they'll just move on to the next buyer.

Also, you mentioned quotes for a hot water heater (or is it a boiler?) and an A/C condenser and air handler. All these systems are non-functional? It seems like a lot of problems for just one house to have unless you were looking for a fixer uppper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2013, 06:56 PM
 
160 posts, read 467,575 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
To cut a hole in the house and attach a vent hose someone gave you a quote of $2K? Seems excessive. I'm glad you're looking for realistic numbers to bring to the seller because in this market if you're unrealistic with your expectations after the inspection they'll just move on to the next buyer.
In that case, what would be a fair value for this kinda work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Also, you mentioned quotes for a hot water heater (or is it a boiler?)
Water boiler. I'm looking to install a 30 gallon water boiler (gas based).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
an A/C condenser and air handler. All these systems are non-functional? It seems like a lot of problems for just one house to have unless you were looking for a fixer uppper.
Inspection report lists that the water boiler is beyond its serviceable age & that we should look to replace it. The exterior ac condenser & the air handler probably came in when the current owner got the home (13yrs back). The seller doesn't 've any documentation that would give us an idea of the date of installation or what maintenance services were done. Since the temp is <65f, the inspector couldn't run the system but the determination to ask for a credit to replace it is based on visual determination & the lack of documentation to give us a picture of the system's health.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2013, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Needham, MA
7,448 posts, read 11,603,701 times
Reputation: 6663
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_junta View Post
In that case, what would be a fair value for this kinda work?
If the bathrooms are near each other, the exaust fans are working, and the flexi-ducts are already in place I would estimate a maximum of $500 to have the work completed by a handyman maybe $1,000 if you find someone expensive. Keep in mind, I haven't actually seen the house, but if the conditions are as I have described them basically all the workman is doing is cutting a hole in the house and installing some trim and it's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_junta View Post
Inspection report lists that the water boiler is beyond its serviceable age & that we should look to replace it. The exterior ac condenser & the air handler probably came in when the current owner got the home (13yrs back). The seller doesn't 've any documentation that would give us an idea of the date of installation or what maintenance services were done. Since the temp is <65f, the inspector couldn't run the system but the determination to ask for a credit to replace it is based on visual determination & the lack of documentation to give us a picture of the system's health.
Does your agent agree with this tact? If they do, you should find yourself new representation.

The A/C is a little tricky to deal with this time of year because you can damage the A/C by running it when the temps are <65*F as you note. However, just because you couldn't turn it on and did a visual inspection doesn't mean the system is non-functional or not performing within specifications. Also, there's a distinct difference between "beyond serviceable age" (a/k/a old) and non-functional or not properly functioning. That boiler could last decades more and function well the whole time or it could break tomorrow. I could say the same thing of a brand new boiler as well. Your agent should be talking to you about the difference between old and non-functional/not properly functioning.

No reasonable seller is going to agree to replace a major system simply because it's old. If I was the listing agent and you presented me this list, I would advise the seller to tell you to "go fly a kite." If this house is in a hot market (or even a decent one) you have absolutely no chance of getting most of the items on your list. Plus, you'll create bad blood between you and the seller which will only make it harder to get the reasonable items on your list.

Please keep in mind, I was not at the inspection and am just basing my statements on the details you have provided.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2013, 08:00 AM
 
925 posts, read 2,546,634 times
Reputation: 432
My thoughts exactly Mike. If the roof is expected to last another 5-7 years, no way are they going to pay to replace it. Same with the AC. You can sometimes include language in the P&S to protect yourself for the AC though since it couldn't be tested during the cold weather. That's something to talk with your buyer's agent & attorney about.

re: the furnace, it depends. I had one home where the inspector and furnace guy both said they'd be surprised if the furnace lasted six months & we got our clients a credit to replace it, but if the furnace is just old and working fine the sellers may not agree to anything for that.

I'd absolutely get a credit for the venting and for the deck repairs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2013, 08:03 AM
 
160 posts, read 467,575 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If the bathrooms are near each other, the exaust fans are working, and the flexi-ducts are already in place I would estimate a maximum of $500 to have the work completed by a handyman maybe $1,000 if you find someone expensive. Keep in mind, I haven't actually seen the house, but if the conditions are as I have described them basically all the workman is doing is cutting a hole in the house and installing some trim and it's done.
Thanks for the numbers, Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Does your agent agree with this tact? If they do, you should find yourself new representation.
I'm taking my agents opinion into consideration but ultimately it would be my call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The A/C is a little tricky to deal with this time of year because you can damage the A/C by running it when the temps are <65*F as you note. However, just because you couldn't turn it on and did a visual inspection doesn't mean the system is non-functional or not performing within specifications. Also, there's a distinct difference between "beyond serviceable age" (a/k/a old) and non-functional or not properly functioning. That boiler could last decades more and function well the whole time or it could break tomorrow. I could say the same thing of a brand new boiler as well. Your agent should be talking to you about the difference between old and non-functional/not properly functioning.

No reasonable seller is going to agree to replace a major system simply because it's old. If I was the listing agent and you presented me this list, I would advise the seller to tell you to "go fly a kite." If this house is in a hot market (or even a decent one) you have absolutely no chance of getting most of the items on your list. Plus, you'll create bad blood between you and the seller which will only make it harder to get the reasonable items on your list.

Please keep in mind, I was not at the inspection and am just basing my statements on the details you have provided.
I've offered 4% above asking on this property with the assumption that I'll be getting a turnkey property. So, as much as I see value in your point regarding the seller's perspective, I can't justify - even to myself - the value I would get for the premium that I'm paying if I'm going to be saddled with costs soon after I takeover the property.

Btw, is $8k a fair estimate for a mid-line air condenser & handler w/installation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2013, 08:05 AM
 
Location: North of Boston
3,412 posts, read 6,304,601 times
Reputation: 3263
If the seller has already priced the house realistically they may not be willing to credit you anything back from the inspection report. I wouldn't get too greedy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2013, 08:08 AM
 
160 posts, read 467,575 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmann-sherborn View Post
re: the furnace, it depends. I had one home where the inspector and furnace guy both said they'd be surprised if the furnace lasted six months & we got our clients a credit to replace it, but if the furnace is just old and working fine the sellers may not agree to anything for that
Kmann, the furnace seems to be working but according to the inspector it could die any moment. Atleast in your client's case the furnace was given 6mos.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top