Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,499 times

Advertisements

We are a young family considering a move to Marblehead. We have been living in Boston for several years and I really want to live in a small coastal community. After looking at many many options Marblehead seems to be the best fit. I wish it were closer to the city and that housing was a wee bit more affordable but hey - I do want the beach so I will accept the realities. I have a couple of concerns and am hoping for some insight from those who live there or are more familiar with Marblehead. What is the rush hour commute? Is the traffic way worse in the summer? I would also love to know about alternative routes that could save some time. Information on schools and neighborhoods would be great. Additionally, and please do not be offended by this question, is Marblehead very snobby? Thank you so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 PM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
I would encourage you to spend some time in town, go to parks and playgrounds and get a feel for the town. It depends on your comfort level, but it does come across as snooty to some people. I know many people who were attracted to the town because of schools, but after spending some time there were turned off by the snootiness.

If you are looking for a more affordable and friendly coastal community, I would look at Beverly and spend some time at parks and playgrounds. Both towns will have a different feel, and only you can decide which fits you better. Usually people are attracted to Beverly, because you can get so much more for your money, while it is a more 'down-to-earth' kind of place with a little bit more diversity, a tight knit community, where people can afford to stay after they grow up, while the schools are good and recognized, without being too 'prestigious' or stressful.

The race to be 'the best' school district makes Marblehead's school committee so divided and dysfunctional, that it results in a high turnover of superintendents and principals.

Our view: Another leadership vacuum in the Marblehead schools » Opinion » SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Old 04-03-2013, 04:33 AM

7 posts, read 16,583 times
This is from someone brought up in the town, still living here and have brought up family here .
Marblehead is actually a great town and wonderful for young families with children. Lots of town activites for all ages, 4th of July Art Festival, Christmas walk, etc. Sport programs are offered for very young up to around 13, town sponsored, and school sp
onsored. There are classes offered at the JCC for all ages, there is a brand new YMCA . Both offer classes and fitness as well as summer camps. Dance schools, art schools are right in town. There are numerous churches and synogogues that both offer a means to get involved and meet community people. There are two main public beaches and a number of clubs for boating, they have pools and activities for members and I believe you can join them for the social aspect and do not need a boat to join. We have a brand new movie theatre and many restaurants. For a small town there is lots to offer.
The schools are fairly new, the newest elementary school is currently being built. I believe the schools rank fairly high, however, there is some issue with keeping school personnel and there is a turnover of principles and superintendants. Not sure what is up with that. Have gone past that stage of having a child in the school system. The town does make an attempt to keep the tax rate low and we are lower then some surrounding communities. The one draw back is the commute to Boston, there are alternatives to driving. Swampscott and Salem both have trains into Boston, you can also drive to Wonderland and take the T. Traffic along the coast RT1A get jammed up especially in the summer. There are back roads to stay away from coastal route
Yes there is an element of snootiness , however, there are also alot of normal, down to earth people who will be welcoming and friendly. You will meet them at the ballfields, in the gym, etc.
The market is pretty strong for lower price houses. They will usually be old and small or on a main street. Upper $300-$450,000 . If you can do $499 and above you will have a better choice. I have more info and if you want you can pm me and can give more detail. Good luck.
Beverly may also be a good choice.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Traffic will be bad to commute to Boston unless you are way off peak hours.
One of our favorite sayings is "You can't get anywhere from Marblehead.
It is a walkable town, and the streets are old cowpaths; narrow and twisty.
I like it, however. Find the people to be all ranges as anywhere. Snooty to
down to earth. Very pricy.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 AM

270 posts, read 468,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
I would encourage you to spend some time in town, go to parks and playgrounds and get a feel for the town. It depends on your comfort level, but it does come across as snooty to some people. I know many people who were attracted to the town because of schools, but after spending some time there were turned off by the snootiness.

If you are looking for a more affordable and friendly coastal community, I would look at Beverly and spend some time at parks and playgrounds. Both towns will have a different feel, and only you can decide which fits you better. Usually people are attracted to Beverly, because you can get so much more for your money, while it is a more 'down-to-earth' kind of place with a little bit more diversity, a tight knit community, where people can afford to stay after they grow up, while the schools are good and recognized, without being too 'prestigious' or stressful.

The race to be 'the best' school district makes Marblehead's school committee so divided and dysfunctional, that it results in a high turnover of superintendents and principals.

Our view: Another leadership vacuum in the Marblehead schools » Opinion » SalemNews.com, Salem, MA
Do you have an actual living experience in Marblehead? There are anointed people everywhere and if one is confident or wise would easily steer herself from that kind of situation. I agree with your statement "You get what you pay for" especially in real estate transactions. Beverly has a terrible reputation for its school system compare to Marblehead, Manchester by the Sea, Hamilton/Wenham even to the next town called Danvers and that is the major reason why people steer away purchasing homes in Beverly unless they would consider sending their kids to private schools. That's why you would get a better deal. To the OP, you will in general get better resale value if you choose towns with better school system. I would also be concern with the drug problems in Beverly.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-04-2013 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: personal

Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 AM

270 posts, read 468,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue723 View Post
This is from someone brought up in the town, still living here and have brought up family here .
Marblehead is actually a great town and wonderful for young families with children. Lots of town activites for all ages, 4th of July Art Festival, Christmas walk, etc. Sport programs are offered for very young up to around 13, town sponsored, and school sp
onsored. There are classes offered at the JCC for all ages, there is a brand new YMCA . Both offer classes and fitness as well as summer camps. Dance schools, art schools are right in town. There are numerous churches and synogogues that both offer a means to get involved and meet community people. There are two main public beaches and a number of clubs for boating, they have pools and activities for members and I believe you can join them for the social aspect and do not need a boat to join. We have a brand new movie theatre and many restaurants. For a small town there is lots to offer.
The schools are fairly new, the newest elementary school is currently being built. I believe the schools rank fairly high, however, there is some issue with keeping school personnel and there is a turnover of principles and superintendants. Not sure what is up with that. Have gone past that stage of having a child in the school system. The town does make an attempt to keep the tax rate low and we are lower then some surrounding communities. The one draw back is the commute to Boston, there are alternatives to driving. Swampscott and Salem both have trains into Boston, you can also drive to Wonderland and take the T. Traffic along the coast RT1A get jammed up especially in the summer. There are back roads to stay away from coastal route
Yes there is an element of snootiness , however, there are also alot of normal, down to earth people who will be welcoming and friendly. You will meet them at the ballfields, in the gym, etc.
The market is pretty strong for lower price houses. They will usually be old and small or on a main street. Upper $300-$450,000 . If you can do $499 and above you will have a better choice. I have more info and if you want you can pm me and can give more detail. Good luck.
Great insights! That new YMCA is a lot bigger and nicer than the one in Beverly.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 PM

79 posts, read 226,573 times
Quote:

Please go back and read OP's post. He said Marblehead is the best fit and he wants to know alternative route to work not a step down alternative town.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-05-2013 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonMassSAHM View Post
Please go back and read OP's post. He said Marblehead is the best fit and he wants to know alternative route to work not a step down alternative town.
He wants a coastal community that is more affordable, I am sorry that you think it would be more polite to hide the truth.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-05-2013 at 04:01 AM.. Reason: response to deleton

Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 PM

79 posts, read 226,573 times
Quote:
He wants a coastal community that is more affordable.
He didn't mentioned anything about a step down town (truth hurts) though. Plus he wants to be closer to Boston which is 16 miles away from Marblehead whereas the stwould down town you are in is about 25 miles.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-05-2013 at 04:01 AM..

Old 04-04-2013, 06:31 PM

If you are trying to convince someone Marblehead is not a snobby town, using snobby statements is not the best choice.

Thank you for proving my point.

The train from Beverly takes only 35 minutes to Boston, which is quicker then driving from Marblehead.

Last edited by konfetka; 04-04-2013 at 06:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts